It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Boys , I got no fire
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:04 pm • # 1 

I have so many rods and no where to try them out . You see I live in the desert and the nearest fishable water is 4-5 hrs away . I have no one to fish with and nobody to light a fire under my old bones . Whats a guy to do ?

Post subject: Re: Boys , I got no fire
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:21 pm • # 2 

I've seen videos of people fly fishing for chickens on their front lots with dry flies (no hooks involved), so maybe you could tie up some grubs and fish for gila monsters? Or whatever roadrunners eat? (Acme bird seed is the only thing that comes to mind).

Seriously, I'm sorry for your situation. I understand how you would feel unmotivated to travel that far just to reach water, and no one to travel with. AS we age, we need a bigger fire to travel shorter distances, and the joy of good company becomes a greater need. I'm rooting for you, buddy.
brent

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:19 pm • # 3 

There's all kinds of stuff closer than 4 or 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:22 pm • # 4 

SWCR wrote:
There's all kinds of stuff closer than 4 or 5 hours

Where ? I don't fish community lakes or parks for catfish . Not worth leaving the house for .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:51 pm • # 5 

Ok, I thought you were a fisherman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:11 pm • # 6 

SWCR wrote:
Ok, I thought you were a fisherman

No , what made you think that ? I just collect rods .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:28 pm • # 7 

Could there be more than catfish at your community lakes/ponds?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:38 pm • # 8 

I honestly don't know which ones you can fish and which ones cant . Have no clue what's in them except trash and dirty diapers these people here throw in . Up north where Roger lives has some decent community lake fishing from what I hear but I know nothing about it . I'll sit here and build rods and when the weather gets right in April or May I'll head for Montana, Wyoming and Idaho for the summer . All will be good again . I was just trying to liven this forum up , it wasn't my intension to have people feel sorry for me , I do enough of that ! :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:45 pm • # 9 

jangles wrote:
I have so many rods and no where to try them out . You see I live in the desert and the nearest fishable water is 4-5 hrs away . I have no one to fish with and nobody to light a fire under my old bones . Whats a guy to do ?

Time to get out a shovel & build your own pond, lake or stream !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:12 am • # 10 

jangles wrote:
....and when the weather gets right in April or May I'll head for Montana, Wyoming and Idaho for the summer . All will be good again . I was just trying to liven this forum up , it wasn't my intension to have people feel sorry for me , I do enough of that ! :)

:lol Mission accomplished. On motorcycle fora that I frequent, tensions and conflict emerge every year as the riding season draws to a close. (recommend the wrong oil online in January and you'd better be ready to make new friends! :lol )
Up here in the frozen white north, its known as the 'shack nasties'. (cabin fever?)
I've only built a handful of rods in my years (nothing to be proud of, at that), but I DO tie a boatload of flies to get through our 6 month fishing closure and 4 month winter. Its great that you have that skill and interest to help you get through the winter.
brent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:30 pm • # 11 

wheezeburnt , not sure how much skill I have as I only assemble instead of custom make like some of the guys that do it for other people .

I did however find a lake only 2hrs from me and called the marina . Hot dog I'm in luck . They just put them big old stockers in it .Yehaw , grandpas gonna get him some !! I can even test out that new Watermaster Kodiak raft I bought for this coming summer .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:52 pm • # 12 

Sounds like that fire just got stoked. :applause Now I just need to fire myself up enough to forget about my winter time aches and pains and travel all of 30 miles to our local winter trout stream.

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:53 am • # 13 

Good for you jangles. The only problem you have now is; what rod out of the many are you going to use for them stockers?

I'm glad I live in an area where I will never have the issue of having no water & suffering 4 to 5 hours of driving just to reach fishable water. I have the exact opposite problem of too many areas to choose.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:47 pm • # 14 

You can send any rod you like to me, I’ll fish the hell out of it on the appropriate water. Full report on here and may possible return it, lol all slimed up and maybe in the same number of pieces you sent it to me in.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:15 am • # 15 

mbarker68x wrote:
You can send any rod you like to me, I’ll fish the hell out of it on the appropriate water. Full report on here and may possible return it, lol all slimed up and maybe in the same number of pieces you sent it to me in.

The problem with that is my rod being dissaponted when / if it comes back here to Hellazonia . east .

Iasgair , the sad part of all this is I lived on a lake back east . I fished every day from ice out to ice in .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:47 pm • # 16 

Canoeman1947 wrote:
Sounds like that fire just got stoked. :applause Now I just need to fire myself up enough to forget about my winter time aches and pains and travel all of 30 miles to our local winter trout stream.

Larry

I didnt know you had trout streams in Oklahoma. In 1989 I spent the summer in Sperry, OK at Bud Beastons OFC and the only fishing I did was in his pond so he could eats gills while I ate hamburgers . What an a$$hat he is/was . Had fun doing local rodeo stuff on the weekends tho .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:06 am • # 17 

jangles wrote:
Canoeman1947 wrote:

Larry

I didnt know you had trout streams in Oklahoma. In 1989 I spent the summer in Sperry, OK at Bud Beastons OFC and the only fishing I did was in his pond so he could eats gills while I ate hamburgers . What an a$$hat he is/was . Had fun doing local rodeo stuff on the weekends tho .

Jangle, someone from Oklahoma will chime in, but from a Texas resident the only trout streams I've seen in Oklahoma have been stocked. But man, they have some beautiful streams.

On another point, trash aside (zone it out), I've found urban fishing in community ponds/lakes really excellent; but, it's taken me years to learn how to exploit the local fishing and I am still learning. That may not be your kind of fishing, though, and fishing is a very personal thing, and especially fly fishing because of it's many facets.

I take it you relocated to Arizona from a far more fly fishing friendly place.

Last edited by JimRed on Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:06 pm • # 18 

Most of our trout fishing is of the "put and take" variety. We have two tailwater areas with year around fishing: the Lower Illinois River below Lake Tenkiller and the Lower Mountain Fork River below Broken Bow Lake. Blue River near where I live is stocked from Nov. 1 to Mar. 31. There are a few other areas around the state stocked with trout, but those mentioned are the best. Many people from out of state who are seeing these streams for the first time are very surprised that Oklahoma has rivers like these.

Larry

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ] New Topic Add Reply