It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Eel Patterns?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:56 pm • # 1 

Nope, not patterns that LOOK LIKE eels, but patterns that catch eels?
On a trip to a somewhat distant fly shop this week, my fishing buddy mentioned that his brother
+ the salmon fisherman, who marvels at the lengths I'll go to to catch 'trash fish' (as he calls them) on flies, wondered if I had any patterns for catching eels. I have never caught an eel (i.e. the green eel) on a fly; nor have I targeted them. But I figure if such a thing exists, folks on this page will know of them.
So, does such a thing exist? How successful is it? I know he was being facetious, but now he's got ME wondering.....
thx
brent

Post subject: Re: Eel Patterns?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:44 pm • # 2 

:lol :lol :lol :lol You are not alone on that line of thinking.....if it swims I want to tie a fly that catches it...latest quarry....minnows on my 0 weight with size 22 parachute patterns..... minnows can be a spooky as trout. I would think that any small bait fish pattern would catch an eel....maybe micro clousers??

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:52 pm • # 3 

Here's some info from Wikipedia (for what it's worth).

"The American eel is found along the Atlantic coast including Chesapeake Bay and the Hudson River and as far north as the St. Lawrence River region. It is also present in the river systems of the eastern Gulf of Mexico and in some areas further south. Like all anguillid eels, American eels hunt predominantly at night, and during the day they hide in mud, sand or gravel very close to shore, at depths of roughly 5 to 6 feet. They feed on crustaceans, aquatic insects, small insects, and probably any aquatic organisms that they can find and eat.[5]"

So Brent, let's imagine you night-fishing with UL fly gear for eels. That should help one's reputation for mental stability, right? By the way, I'd like to try it.

Joe, that sounds like a good idea, fishing for minnows with a 0-weight and size 22 flies. Let's remember, carp are a member of the minnow family...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:19 pm • # 4 

See? I knew you guys would dive into this! :)

Mental stability? :eek My ticket on THAT train expired some time ago.
I've caught eels on bait (worms) during the day, esp. overcast days, so I suppose there's hope without resorting to nocturnal eeling. (sounds like something that might just be illegal (or at least immoral) in some jurisdictions).
If no patterns emerge, I'll have to come up with something of my own invention to send him. Perhaps a nice Skykomish Kat Turd.????? I'm thinking maybe an 8x long shank, with dark brown deer hair trimmed narrow and heavily tapered at each end, with some rodent hair palmered through it?
brent

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply