It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Skagit related purchase
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:55 am • # 1 

Yesterday I received a shooting head and running line in the mail . It is from Maxcatch off e-Bay and I must say it's pretty nice for $16 and $9 respectively . The head is 17' 250 grn and the line is not unlike Rio Slick Shooter with .026 diam . I weighed and measured it and it is spot on , so , I ordered another head in 200grn 17' for a backup . Just letting you guys know .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:58 am • # 2 

Ron, that looks very interesting, hope you find water soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:32 pm • # 3 

Eric, I just have to figure out what tip to use now . I have an opst shs 10' floating 75 gr , I may cut down to 5 ' and then throw a fluro leader on it . Sound about right ?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:31 pm • # 4 

Can't beat that price, couldn't do it cheaper with inexpensive oversized WF and you get the factory
made terminals.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:14 pm • # 5 

JimRed wrote:
Can't beat that price, couldn't do it cheaper with inexpensive oversized WF and you get the factory
made terminals.

True dat . The customer service is better than OPST and RIO too . I ask a question about anything they have and they answer it the next day/night . I have called and left call back numbers with the other two three times each and two emails and still no call or email . Not a hard decision for me . I broke rod tips (two) my fault and they sent me free replacements . Like I said , not a hard decision for me .
ron

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:50 pm • # 6 

jangles wrote:
Eric, I just have to figure out what tip to use now . I have an opst shs 10' floating 75 gr , I may cut down to 5 ' and then throw a fluro leader on it . Sound about right ?

Ron, you can get Airflo various rates sink tips or Opst integrated float sink tips . I would keep the 10 footer for use on it's own for slower water. I have used the front taper of a cheap line for my float tip and a section of fast sinking line that I purchased many years ago for my sink tip. A twisted/furled leader made from floro or straight floro is an option.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:14 pm • # 7 

I have extra 1,2 and 3 wt lines I bought from Maxcatch I could use . I have wf and dt . I also have a few furled leaders that I made but cant remember if I made them from fluro or mono . I guess I would want fluro for swinging and nymphing ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:50 am • # 8 

jangles wrote:
I have extra 1,2 and 3 wt lines I bought from Maxcatch I could use . I have wf and dt . I also have a few furled leaders that I made but cant remember if I made them from fluro or mono . I guess I would want fluro for swinging and nymphing ?

With a heavy fly it should be ok, depends on the water flow.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:13 pm • # 9 

Well today I took a chance at the pond behind my house . I got ran off but not before I tested my Ambush on the 10' 3wt . That stuff is da bomb ! 60-70' roll casts right off the get go . I tried to shoot it but I forgot how ! The Maxcatch shooting head paired with their running line is nice also but like I said I forgot what I was supposed to do . :lol I definitely recommend the Maxcatch running line and the shooting head .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:15 pm • # 10 

Very pleased to see your post Ron. The single spey is a roll cast done with power to gain distance. It is said to be the most effective but difficult to learn. Watch the video's on single spey done with single hand and double hand rods. To describe it is the line out in front of you lift to about 11 o'clock then in a dropping sweep lower the tip in a downward curve moving backward, the fly must land approximately at between 2 and 3 o'clock on the water then begin the forward cast stopping high as per Skagit. Pi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:08 am • # 11 

Thank you Eric . I will watch it over and over again , actually I'll put the vid on my phone . That way I will have it to review . I'm getting excited now ! I'll go to the river after I have my surgery and before I go for the summer . I can camp there and maybe catch a smallie while I'm at it .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:40 am • # 12 

Good luck Ron, you will win.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:09 am • # 13 

Good to know about the Maxcatch quality. I have been looking at the single-hand spey lines for swinging wets so it seems I have a few more things to keep an eye on!

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply