It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Strymph?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:56 am • # 1 

I've been looking at this fly for a while now, and although I haven't tied or fished it yet, I am intrigued. I'd be using it for smally fishing, but every time I look in my warmwater fly box, I wonder where I'd be able to squeeze in another pattern. Does anyone here have personal experience with it? Has it earned a place in your arsenal?
brent

Post subject: Re: Strymph?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:11 am • # 2 

Never heard of it. What does it look like.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:30 am • # 3 

That's a new one on me, Brent, but I have several strinkfs. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:14 am • # 4 

Its the invention (I think) of Harry Murray (Fly Fishing for Smallmouth Bass). Combination streamer and nymph.
Here's a photo and flying instructions.
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytyin ... 02fotw.php

brent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:34 am • # 5 

I've never tied one, but, I agree that it looks "fishy".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:58 pm • # 6 

strummer wrote:
I've never tied one, but, I agree that it looks "fishy".

A Harry Murray - Fly Fishing for Smallmouth Bass strymph was a good pattern for smallies on the Potomac, Shenandoah & Cacapon some 20 years ago when fishing the area. Easy to tie as it's not much more than ostrich herl for a tail, rabbit fur for the body over lead wire & saddle hackle for a collar on a #2 - 8 hook, but mostly #8 thru #12's. Best colors were black for hellgrammites, olive for fish prey, brown for crayfish & white for the summertime white miller hatches. Haven't had all that much luck with them in SW Florida as usually tend to present crickets & grasshoppers year round along with various streamers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:46 pm • # 7 

Dave:
Sounds good. thanks for the input. I'm heading to the Shenandoah next march/april, as it turns out. Might be a tad early for bass, but there you go. Yes, they do look simple and easy, and I've been looking for a reason to return to the tying bench, especially with all the snow on the ground, the water frozen and the temps around -18c.
I may as well tie up a few in olive and a few in black (popular colours with the local smallies) and give 'em a try. Everything is here except the rabbit fur, and the ones that live out back are brilliant white this time of year (snowshoe hare/varying hare). Guess I'll have to buy some fur from the flyshop; can't put it off til they turn back to their summer colours.
Now you've got me inspired!
brent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:59 pm • # 8 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Dave:
Sounds good. thanks for the input. I'm heading to the Shenandoah next march/april, as it turns out. Might be a tad early for bass, but there you go. Yes, they do look simple and easy, and I've been looking for a reason to return to the tying bench, especially with all the snow on the ground, the water frozen and the temps around -18c.
I may as well tie up a few in olive and a few in black (popular colours with the local smallies) and give 'em a try. Everything is here except the rabbit fur, and the ones that live out back are brilliant white this time of year (snowshoe hare/varying hare). Guess I'll have to buy some fur from the flyshop; can't put it off til they turn back to their summer colours.
Now you've got me inspired!
brent

March & April might be too early for smallies unless waters have warmed up a bunch on the Shenandoah. Most fishing after Indian Summer was a very slow bottom bounce crawl until after easter or even better after May garden planting. Of course one could always pinch a split shot right on the tippet at the nose to bottom bounce & hope there's not too many big rocks to snag on as they'll either be real deep or at the base of aerated waters. Since the lake across the street is only 6' deep & canals like 9 mile or Cocoplum around here aren't much deeper nor have any aerated water except where there's sluice gates, largemouth don't strike them as smallies, even though there are bucketmouths in the Shenandoah.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:07 pm • # 9 

Thanks, pal. Nothing takes the place of local knowledge.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:47 pm • # 10 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Thanks, pal. Nothing takes the place of local knowledge.

Mostly fished the Shenandoah upstream of Harper's Ferry where it was either wadable or boat ramps were located. After floods with PCB's & dioxins flowing had depleted many of the fish in the Potomac too; fishing quality decreased & for the past 20 years have watched reports of big smallies as 8"-10" after other floods, which used to be bluegill size when back in the 70's it was 20"-25" + catches.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:18 pm • # 11 

Well, that's disconcerting news. I'll definitely be researching that. I'm going to be in the Massanutten area for a couple of weeks at the end of March. What would you suggest as worthwhile? I'm not against hiring a guide service if appropriate.
brent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:40 pm • # 12 

Spent a little time reviewing the history of pollution of the Shenandoah River. Very sobering. Sounds like it might be on the road to recovery, but agricultural runoff and increasing water temps seem to be taking a toll currently.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:58 am • # 13 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Well, that's disconcerting news. I'll definitely be researching that. I'm going to be in the Massanutten area for a couple of weeks at the end of March. What would you suggest as worthwhile? I'm not against hiring a guide service if appropriate.
brent

Not familiar with the Massanutten area as would have to research it since it was quite a bit farther south. Probably best fly for fishing that early would be Clouser crayfish patterns dragging the bottom & bouncing slowly.

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply