It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




  Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:50 pm • # 1 
User avatar
Full Member

Joined: 05/28/18
Posts: 236
Location: Tucson , Hellazonia
Hopefully this will get me mobile this coming year and to spots I am unable to hike to now . This being partially disabled is really messing with my fishing .
I pulled the trigger today on two electric bikes . One is a cruiser style bike with a 350 watt motor in the hub for my wife and the other is a fat tire 2 wheel drive mountain / snow bike that has a 350 watt in back and a 250 watt in front . It can be used as a seven speed bike , 5 levels of PAS , one motor ,two motors or no motor . It comes with fenders and a rear rack for paniers . I also picked up an online dealership , so I got them very reasonable . They are white bikes (not color) meaning I put my own brand on them and they come with two year warranty . They are being drop shipped from Vegas , cant wait .


Last edited by jangles on Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:38 pm • # 2 
User avatar
Hero Member

Joined: 08/31/15
Posts: 862
Location: Coppell, TX
Sounds interesting. Let us know how they work out on your fishing trips and pictures would be appreciated.


Top
  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:48 am • # 3 
User avatar
Full Member

Joined: 05/28/18
Posts: 236
Location: Tucson , Hellazonia
Will do Mr Red . I think the awd or 2 hub drive will be a great asset in getting around on those trails along north country streams , using a little common sense of course .


Top
  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:02 am • # 4 
User avatar
Full Member

Joined: 09/17/12
Posts: 139
Location: Washington State
I use my 27 speed Paratrooper Pro MTB to access areas that I feel are too far to hike into a few times a year. One disadvantage to electric bicycles around here is they are considered "motorized vehicles" and prohibited on some public and private lands that do allow "non motorized" access.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk


Top
  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:26 pm • # 5 
User avatar
Hero Member

Joined: 06/13/16
Posts: 550
Location: North Port, Florida
She's a beaut!

Image


Top
  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:49 pm • # 6 
User avatar
Full Member

Joined: 05/28/18
Posts: 236
Location: Tucson , Hellazonia
Brian_Miller wrote:
considered "motorized vehicles" and prohibited on some public and private lands that do allow "non motorized" access.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk


I saw that on the nf web site . I also looked up the fine . Some people pay 350 to 550 a day and more for a guide , I don't so I can easily pay a 50 fine if I am unlucky enough to get that one ass-hat that wants to hike to where I am and give me a ticket . It's also up to the land manager that is in charge of that particular forest which is running about 50-50 at this time . I don't come to Washington so I'm safe there . :lol

strummer , that's an exact copy of my bike . :applause


Top
  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:15 pm • # 7 
User avatar
Hero Member

Joined: 08/31/15
Posts: 862
Location: Coppell, TX
jangles wrote:
Brian_Miller wrote:
considered "motorized vehicles" and prohibited on some public and private lands that do allow "non motorized" access.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk


I saw that on the nf web site . I also looked up the fine . Some people pay 350 to 550 a day and more for a guide , I don't so I can easily pay a 50 fine if I am unlucky enough to get that one ass-hat that wants to hike to where I am and give me a ticket . It's also up to the land manager that is in charge of that particular forest which is running about 50-50 at this time . I don't come to Washington so I'm safe there . :lol

strummer , that's an exact copy of my bike . :applause


I am not a betting man, but I would give odds that if you go to a remote area and your electric motor is not emitting noise and your proceeding carefully any law enforcement you might happen on would ignore the infraction.
On the other hand, on the occasion I've ventured into Oklahoma to fish, any fly rod not attached to my hand has been fair game to some in the local population....I would be concerned about leaving my bike in the open while I wade a stream.


Top
  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:12 pm • # 8 
User avatar
Full Member

Joined: 05/28/18
Posts: 236
Location: Tucson , Hellazonia
JimRed wrote:
jangles wrote:
Brian_Miller wrote:
considered "motorized vehicles" and prohibited on some public and private lands that do allow "non motorized" access.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk


I saw that on the nf web site . I also looked up the fine . Some people pay 350 to 550 a day and more for a guide , I don't so I can easily pay a 50 fine if I am unlucky enough to get that one ass-hat that wants to hike to where I am and give me a ticket . It's also up to the land manager that is in charge of that particular forest which is running about 50-50 at this time . I don't come to Washington so I'm safe there . :lol

strummer , that's an exact copy of my bike . :applause


I am not a betting man, but I would give odds that if you go to a remote area and your electric motor is not emitting noise and your proceeding carefully any law enforcement you might happen on would ignore the infraction.
On the other hand, on the occasion I've ventured into Oklahoma to fish, any fly rod not attached to my hand has been fair game to some in the local population....I would be concerned about leaving my bike in the open while I wade a stream.


JimRed , thats pretty much what I'm thinking and counting on . It's not like I'll be screaming around at 20 mph because I'll have my lab with me . I'll pedal at a nice slow pace for her and everything should be golden . If I do get caught the fine is $50 and I can afford that a few times on a summer adventure . It doesnt look like a screamer either , so it shouldnt draw too much attention . As far as security I use a cable with one of those round locks and they are pretty much bullet proof . Not many people carry cable cutters . lol Here's a picture of a picture .

Image


Last edited by jangles on Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:31 pm • # 9 
User avatar
Hero Member

Joined: 08/31/15
Posts: 862
Location: Coppell, TX
Jangles, good point on the cable cutters. Nice looking bike. Thanks for the photo.


Top
  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:52 am • # 10 
User avatar
Hero Member

Joined: 12/29/12
Posts: 1343
Location: Rusagonis, New Brunswick, Canada
It would be an interesting ticket to contest, if you were ticketed while not employing the electric motors, but simply pedaling ( or maybe I don't understand the bike's function).
In any case, I expect the prohibition of motorized vehicles' purpose is to avoid airborne pollutants (including noise) as well as fire risk and the soil disruption caused by knobby tires under considerable torque. Your vehicle perhaps violates the letter of the law, but not the spirit.
Anyway, I'm intrigued by the project. Please keep us posted - it sounds like a great way to go fishing in (relatively) remote areas without the noise and disruption of an internal combustion engine.
brent


Top
  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:30 pm • # 11 
User avatar
Sr. Member

Joined: 01/26/09
Posts: 422
Location: Oklahoma
JimRed,
Concerning your ventures into Okalahoma, you should definitely keep your spare rods close to hand. We Okies are averse to littering and are likely to pick up stuff left lying around for proper disposal. :P
Larry


Top
  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:21 am • # 12 
User avatar
Full Member

Joined: 09/17/12
Posts: 139
Location: Washington State
wheezeburnt wrote:
It would be an interesting ticket to contest, if you were ticketed while not employing the electric motors, but simply pedaling ( or maybe I don't understand the bike's function).
brent

The timber farm I fished last Wednesday specifically calls out ebikes as prohibited.
It depends on the local laws. Here,
"Generally a person may not operate an electric-assisted bicycle on a trail that is designated as non-motorized and that has a natural surface, unless otherwise authorized."

Summaries of current ebike laws:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws

http://www.ncsl.org/research/transporta ... rimer.aspx

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk


Top
  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:56 pm • # 13 
User avatar
Full Member

Joined: 05/28/18
Posts: 236
Location: Tucson , Hellazonia
Well I found e-bikes to be a blast and quite addictive . I just got through building one and looking for a donor bike for another one .


Top
  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:00 pm • # 14 
User avatar
Hero Member

Joined: 08/31/15
Posts: 862
Location: Coppell, TX
Nice, glad it working out.


Top
  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:05 pm • # 15 
User avatar
Hero Member

Joined: 08/31/15
Posts: 862
Location: Coppell, TX
Canoeman1947 wrote:
JimRed,
Concerning your ventures into Okalahoma, you should definitely keep your spare rods close to hand. We Okies are averse to littering and are likely to pick up stuff left lying around for proper disposal. :P
Larry

Larry,
That makes me feel better now that I understand the rods were picked up as litter and I'll bet donated to a worthy cause. After all, they were graphite and not even ultralight so clearly litter to the discriminating camp ground clean up crew.


Top
  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

  Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

- OurBoard Support -