It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: EBay Frauds
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:20 pm • # 1 

Be careful on eBay. I've recently been burned twice by zero feedback sellers.

First time I bought a Ryall with two spare spools. Day after I bought eBay sent me a message saying they were suspicious sellers and said to get in touch in three weeks if no reel. Reel didn't arrive and refund issued.

Two weeks ago offered $40 for a new Redington Zero listed for $55 or best offer. Won bid and couple days later reel showed up. It had been shipped directly from Bass Pro Shop which seemed very strange. Mystery solved a couple days later when I received a bill from Bass Pro Fraud department stating the eBay seller had bought reel with a stolen credit card, therefore since I received reel I was responsible for payment. I contacted eBay and they issued refund and Bass Pro said they would accept the $40 I originally paid for the reel instead of the $102 they originally asked from me. In conversation with Bass Pro Fraud Department they say this buying with stolen credit card and having drop shipped to eBay customer has become a problem for them. So basically if deal seems too good from zero feedback sellers you might want to be careful.

Barry

Post subject: Re: EBay Frauds
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:09 pm • # 2 

I make it a habit to never order from anybody with less than 97% positive feedback, and then only if they have had a lot of sales.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:58 pm • # 3 

Good idea, should have also realized something up when they wouldn't respond to questions.

I've bought way over a thousand items on eBay, many from new sellers. This is first trouble I've ever had like this and makes me wonder what's going on since has happened twice in the last two months.

Barry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:32 am • # 4 

Yeah same here I don’t order from anybody from eBay unless they have a ton of positive feedback.

If somebody has zero feedback but a killer deal it’s a huge red flag.
Live & Learn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:41 am • # 5 

I agree, an eBay seller with hundreds of feedbacks, 95+% of them positive, is whom I use. I've never been burned. Same with Craig's List: Everything I've ended up buying on CL has been a positive experience, but many times I've backed out after initial contacts smelled fishy. And on Craig's List, there is a ton of fishy ads.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:33 pm • # 6 

EBay will take care of you in most cases. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you buy something from an individual and instead receive an item from a retailer you might expect a letter from their fraud department and have to show your not part of the fraud.

Barry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:13 pm • # 7 

I recently bought two "William Henry" pocket knives from an ebay seller from S.Korea. They were listed as William Henry knives, and were models I wanted, for less than $100 each. If you know WH knives, you know that's an absolutely ridiculous price, even for fairly well-used ones, and these were new, titanium, carbon fiber, and M390/rain drop Damascus. I figured I could just complain to ebay if I didn't like them and get my money back, based on them being fraudulent listings. Turns out, they are identical to the same model WH's in every respect, without logos—And I had to "tune them up" a very little bit. My best guess is that WH has their knives machined and heat treated in Korea, then assembles and adjusts them in CA before slapping crazy high price tags on them. My seller is probably selling knives that are fully functional, but weren't accepted by WH, perhaps for the simple reason that they'd filled their limited edition numbers and had discontinued these variants.

So I was technically defrauded, but realized that going in, and I've got two very cool using (vs collector) knives at prices much closer to what they're actually worth. I wonder, though, if buyers like me are encouraging the problem.....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:28 pm • # 8 

Market value may only depend on what another collector would pay you for them.

Barry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:06 am • # 9 

If you buy from a seller with no previous sales you get what you get . Me , I only buy from 98.5 and up .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:52 am • # 10 

Cross Creek:
Fascinating post about those knives. I expect you are right about the origin and status of those knives. It raises an interesting point about 'tools' as collectibles vs. tools as tools. In most cases, tools become in demand because they are primarily well designed for their purpose and reliable/durable. No doubt, aesthetics come into play, particularly as it pertains to workmanship, fit and finish. In some cases, it seems that the manufacturer of a tool which has become the 'workhorse' of the trade recognizes that the market will bear substantial increases in the price of the object in recognition of its status among users as both an effective tool and a thing of beauty. Eventually, it seems the 'thing of beauty' or some historical status exceeds the 'effective tool' status and it has become a true collectible! At that point, control of supply kicks in to ensure continued rarity and value.
I like the idea that you have now acquired two very functional and well-designed tools at a bargain price by virtue of them lacking official 'branding'.
brent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:57 am • # 11 

Yep I bought a Yamaha 3KVa generator from a store supposedly going/gone into liquidation for what was better than half the price seemed too good to be true but as I only use PayPal on Ebay thought well what have I got to lose a month or so later PayPal refunded me the full amount could have been a really good deal but was a no deal instead.
Muz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:05 pm • # 12 

Muz wrote:
Yep I bought a Yamaha 3KVa generator from a store supposedly going/gone into liquidation for what was better than half the price seemed too good to be true but as I only use PayPal on Ebay thought well what have I got to lose a month or so later PayPal refunded me the full amount could have been a really good deal but was a no deal instead.
Muz

May have been but I'll bet you're still kept it didn't you

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:34 am • # 13 

Sounds to me like he never got it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:43 am • # 14 

No I didn't get the generator because if I did PayPal wouldn't have refunded me and it wouldn't have been a fraud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:55 pm • # 15 

Muz wrote:
No I didn't get the generator because if I did PayPal wouldn't have refunded me and it wouldn't have been a fraud

Yeah , sorry about that I was on my dinky phone when I read it and seeings how I cant see to begin with I completely misread youur post . I appologise .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:09 pm • # 16 

jangles wrote:
If you buy from a seller with no previous sales you get what you get . Me , I only buy from 98.5 and up .

I'm the same way if everything else seems ok. I have a 100% positive feedback. I figure if I can do it so can the sellers I buy from do it or be really close to it.

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply