It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:41 pm • # 1 

to leave in the morning . Heading to Colorado , Wy , Mt , Id for a little trip . So my fifth wheel is packed and the Rhino and Electric bicycle is on the trailer, the dogs life vest just came in the mail and the Kodiak is on the back seat floor .. We are looking forward to between a 2 wk and a 2 month trip . Momma has cooked me many meals and vacuum packed them and they are in the freezer .
Besides clothes credit card and some cash whats left ? Oh yes , I know . Question #1 , How many fly rods to take ? How many would you take , what wts and why ? Any other special thing not mentioned that I should consider ?
This will be cross posted so forgive me if you see it elsewhere . TIA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:44 pm • # 2 

Hey Ron,
I'm leaving in the morning also. I will stop at my daughter's house in NW Oklahoma for a night, and then on to Colorado. Once upon a time I would have just suggested taking all your rods, but I think for either of us this would require a separate trailer to haul them. I will be fishing the Conejos in Colorado and the Los Pinos in New Mexico. I'm not really sure what kind of waters to expect so I am taking the following rods: Hardy Sirrus 6' 2/3 weight, Old Beech Quiet Loop 7' 6" 3 weight, McFarland Spruce Creek 7'6" 4 weight by Chris Barclay, 7'6" Jenkins prototype 5 weight, and a Steffen 8' 4/5 weight. All these rods are glass. I thought about including a 8' 4 weight Winston WT, but I think I have enough already. Oh yeah, you might want to take some reels also. They come in handy. ;)

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:56 pm • # 3 

Reels we dont need no stinking reels ! lol At last count I have 12 rods in the camper from owt to 8wt . I also have one Moonlit 5wt being sent to me general delivery in Antonito ! lol I really needed that ! Anyway , in the morning I have to grease some buddy bearings and I'm off .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:42 am • # 4 

I look forward to seeing some of your reports about this great adventure.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:04 am • # 5 

Sounds like a great trip, and clearly you're already on it. I've been at a cabin on a lake for three weeks this summer, with spotty/no internet. YES!!! So I'm a little late - too late. But here's what I do when I head to, say, labrador or here: I take a range of weight rods, in this case (smallmouth bass fishing) a 3wt, a 6 wt and a 9 wt to cover the various fly sizes I might want to cast/troll. Then, I toss in ONE extra rod of the size that I will most likely use, and hopefully will cover most circumstances. SO, in this case, an extra 6 or 5 wt. I set them all up, and load the extra rod with a sinking line. Should the unthinkable happen, I'd just take the floating line reel off the 6wt (presumably broken) and swap it onto the 5wt rod. Besides the canoe on top of the truck, I tow in a small aluminum boat which acts as a utility trailer as well, so space is not an issue. But I find its a good way to avoid the tyranny of choice.
brent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:26 am • # 6 

Gee Brent, it must have been terrible to not have an internet in a lonely cabin on a lake in the middle of nowhere!! How could you survive without reading about how the world is coming apart, how it's going to drown because of climate change, what politicians have apologized for past indiscretions when they were 10 years old, etc., etc. Gee, just you and the fish and wildlife for three weeks, I feel so sorry for you. :lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:17 pm • # 7 

:lol :lol What can I say, Cliff? I'm taking one for the team.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:52 pm • # 8 

Somebody has to.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:25 pm • # 9 

I heard from jangles this afternoon as I was almost home from my own trip to Colorado. He said he has had a rather up/down time on his trip so far. One day was shot due to passing a kidney stone. He set up camp way up near Platoro Reservoir on the Conejos River, and as I learned a few days ago, Forest Road 250 is pretty rough. He got 2 flat tires on the way. Today he ran down to Farmington, New Mexico as that was the nearest place he could find a Discount Tires store. He had road hazard coverage, and that was the only way he could get his tires covered. Long trip, took most of the day. He caught several trout the one day he had a chance to fish, but one trout was too much to handle with his 4 weight, so he hopes to try for it again tomorrow with a 6 weight.

Speaking for myself, I had a great time in Colorado and New Mexico. We had 5 people in our group, with Les (keebranch) and Randy (preast) from this forum and a couple of other friends. We tried to fish the lower Conejos River the first day, with only one person in our party catching a trout. All I got out of the day was exhausted and sore. That section of the river is rough wading. The next day our guide, Spencer Seim of Zia Fly out of Taos, took us to the Rio de Los Pinos just across the border in New Mexico. I managed to catch 10, five on dries and 5 on a beadhead nymph. My first trout in 4 years. Everybody caught trout on the Los Pinos. And, by the way, if anybody is looking for an excellent guide for the southern Colorado or northern New Mexico areas, I don't know if it is possible to find a better one than Spencer. I would recommend him highly.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:34 am • # 10 

Nice! What is it they say? "A bad day fishing is better than....."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:43 am • # 11 

Les actually caught a fish? :lol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:09 pm • # 12 

Yeah, I think he was fishing a Klinkhammer with a worm dropper. ;)

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:32 am • # 13 

Hey guys , short report / No pictures as Larry said it's rough wading the water is very swift and my walking is still not that great . Everything was and is as Larry said with the exception that I also had two hitch failures one on the 5er where I put a gooseneck hitch adapter( collet bolts loosened ) and some welds broke on the rear hitch that I pull the Rhino trailer . I lost a few days dealing with that stuff and tires but the fish that I was able to pull out of the stretch I fished were worth it !
I am now at the San Juan where I just had new tires put on and fixing a tail light on the tag a long then I shall be off to the Creede , Co area to fish the Rio .
I have watched a few videos of Carl Ochinos SP ? and it looks interesting , I just hope the weather holds a little longer . I was also told that the bears in that area are active , I hope I dont have a problem as they are no match for bear spray and a 460 Rowland . Please smoky , stay away ! lol

Anyways that's about it for now .

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply