It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:21 pm • # 1 

I k now for me, I would go bananas buying fly rods and reels and fishing any place I please. What I want to know is if there was 5 factory rods you would buy, what would they be? You don't have to choose only UL rods, but at least 2 rods in the list must be 3wt or less. Now these rods are a set you would take to tour the world with, fishing in such places as India, Russia, Mongolia, Chile, N. America...or where iver so these rods should be diverse because you are going up against fish that might range from under a pound to 30 pounds or more. They can be factory Blanks for those who prefer to roll their own.

Since I love Sage fly rods and this list has to be narrowed to factory equipment, not necessarily new equipment, but they must be factory rods; so I will choose Sage to cover all five of my rods.

Here's my list:

Sage TXL 000wt (I know I would wish I had one along because it would handle all duties for most smaller fish)

Sage ZXL 8" 6" 3wt (everyday dry fly rod)

Sage Xi3 9' 6wt (for light Salt Water and med freshwater duties)

Sage Xi3 9' 9wt (for heavier Salt Water and heavy fresh water duties)

and I would throw in a Sage Bass Largemouth Rod (for when I need to cast 'muskrat flies') (BTW, I love that Sage Smallmouth rod Jerry. I'll send you some photos sometime of some patterns I'm working on for it. These will be big, multiple jointed and multiple hooked flies over 5 inches long)

There. I just need to win the lottery.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:40 pm • # 2 

If I won the lottery before I could buy any dream rods I would get possession of the money as fast as I can and flee N.Y state before they could take most of it with the new punish the "rich " tax !

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:31 pm • # 3 

1.) Sage 7'10" 0wt. TXL W/ 3100 (old school black on chrome) Sage Quiet Double Taper II

2.) Sage 7'10" 2wt. TXL W/ Lampson Lightspeed Hard Alox 1 Sage Quiet Double Taper II

3.) Sage 9' ZXL 4wt. W/ Lampson Lightspeed Hard Alox 1.5 Sage Performance Taper II (WF4F)

4.) Sage 9' Z-Axis 6wt. W/ Lampson Lightspeed Hard Alox 2 Scientific Anglers Mastery GPX (WF6F)

5.) Sage 9' Z-Axis 8wt.
W/ Lampson Lightspeed Hard Alox 3.5 (some kind of sinking line ???)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:44 am • # 4 

If I've just won the lottery, it's not going to be factory tackle I'll be after--McFarland, Steffen, Norie, Morgan, and a few others will be getting orders, and I'll be wanting lots of fly lines of different tapers and weights to match up to my rods. Truthfully, I've already got some pretty nice tackle, but I'd like to spend some quality fishing time in Ireland, the UK, France, and Germany, then I'd come home and make the rounds of the PA and VA limestoners, smallmouth fishing on the Delaware and Shenandoah valleys, then I might take a little trip down to visit you guys near the Guadalupe river--your pics of tropical looking water and nice bass blow me away. From there, I'd just go where the fish took me. As Woody Harrelson recently put it, "I'm a hard worker, but a world class vacationer."
-CC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:09 pm • # 5 
Administrator

I'd pay off my mortgage before buying anything. I'd like to get a few different blanks to build on though, maybe an Orvis Trout Bum blank or two, a TXL blank, and probably a Gatti blank, all UL of course.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:01 pm • # 6 

Hang on boys!!! If I ever hit big money in a lottery...I will have enough to help you all out...Of course, I would have to start playing...I don't like much to gamble....but, then again...every once in a while I do buy a powerball ticket when I go to visit my daughter...so who knows...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:53 am • # 7 

1. Have Mark Steffen build me 2/3wt at 7'9" with a modified wells grip and a real nice reel seat. Other than that, I already own all of the rods that I want or need(and a bunch more that I don't). The rest of the money would go into trips to Montana and the Bahamas.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:01 am • # 8 

I would go the ultra light bamboo route, topped off with Hardy reels.

Then a good piece of land, were I would have two ponds dug out, the first pond would be filled with trout, and the second would have smallies in it, so my friends and I could harrass them whenever we like.

Of coarse family would be treated very well also.

chris

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:20 am • # 9 

i would buy every old fenwick ever made, then buy the ranch i drive by every year in colorado. some of you may drive by it. it's on highway 149, going from creede towards lake city. called the rio oxbow ranch, with the rio grande river in your front yard, and the mountains, in your backyard!!! quite a place!!! all of you are welcome, when i win. i plan to walk down the road, and offer the man, a deal he can't refuse!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:57 pm • # 10 

apparently it takes lottery type money to buy one of the fenwick ff535s.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:31 pm • # 11 

not quite sean, but the ranch would!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:30 pm • # 12 

1. Thomas and Thomas 6' , 3wt bamboo
2. Winston 7'3", 3wt Light Touch
3. J. Austin Forbes Micro combo
4. Thomas and Thomas 9', Horizon 6wt.
5. Sage 1wt

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply