It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 35 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Eating Fish
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:49 pm • # 21 
Administrator

oldduckhunter wrote:
Growing up in Cleveland, Ohio in the 60's and eating fish from Lake Erie, it was easy - we threw back the two-headed ones!
Lake Erie and the Cuyahoga River were in pretty bad shape back then, as were many waterways in Ohio. Some are still in pretty bad shape.

J.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:47 pm • # 22 

I have caught and eaten fish for nearly 60 years now. In the early days, especially salt water fisheries, I kept nearly every good eating fish I caught. When I started fly fishing with my father for trout, we released any fish that was mortally injured in the catch. Frankly my father thought any fish under 5 or 6 pounds was trash fish, only big Steelhead and Salmon deserved a place on his plate. And when we fished there was gods abundence of those big fishes in California. Ive seen and fished King Salmon runs up the Trinity River in the 50s and early 60s where you could litterally walk across the river without getting your feet wet the water was so fun of really big Salmon, the banks of the river lined with gorging bears bitting out the stomach area in search of row then throwing the still struggle salmon up onto the bank to die. Sometimes they would do this so many times they would be full and just leave the banks littered with dozens if not hundreds of dead salmon with just one bit out.
Anyway over the years I fell into the catch and release mindset because of the general lack of fisheries recovering. If I catch a fish and its not mortally injured I will release it (native trout, not hatchery fish) likewise when IM fishing for the dinner table its usually our Black Croppie that fill our dinner table. Here on our lake they are over abundent breaders and we have a 25 fish per day limit, 50 in possesion. Easily filled on a good day and with our constant and proper reductions the croppie size has gotten often to 3#.
On other fishes of the lake and river it just depends again on if they are seriously injured, we have an abundence of Largemouth bass in the lake and smallmouth bass downriver from the ****. Likewise in certain areas of the lake and river running into the eastern desert we have an abundence of catfish which are very good eating.
So yes, depending on the regulations (golden trout wilderness where catch and release is the rule and barbless hooks are required) and as well on the native fisheries we are trying to protect, Im fully a believer in catch in release.
Richard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:05 pm • # 23 

Which ever fish you eat, make sure they are small ones. Most larger fish, particularly LMB and stripers have a pretty good load of mercury in them, makes you mad as a hatter......all twichy like. It is a sad legacy of our use of fossil fuels of all kinds, coal, diesel, fuel oil, bunker C (used by ships). Mercury is a common contaminant of all fuels so it is distributed fairly uniformly on the surface of our planet.

Most large ocean fish are similarly affected, tuna, sharks, etc.

That said, I love some tasty high Sierra brookies. Take a short hike once a year into a small brook trout lake with a pack-in grill, oil and seasonings and have a nice hot shore lunch. Gotta keep them from overpopulating into stunted runts ! Guilt free eating.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:24 am • # 24 

Cal wrote:
That said, I love some tasty high Sierra brookies. ... Guilt free eating.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I'd never kill a Georgia brookie, they're native here and in trouble, but I'll eat a wild rainbow from a high mountain stream any time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:14 pm • # 25 

I eat a lot of panfish and a few trout.

Post subject: Re: Eating Fish
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:24 pm • # 26 

I am the founder of the Catch & Eat Foundation. ..lol, but I do love to fillet bluegills and eat with cornbread, macaroni & tomatoes, pinto beans, and home fried potatoes. I have to find someone who can clean them first as I cannot use knives with my low hand strength. So I usually throw everything back.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:41 pm • # 27 

I'll eat the occasional wild, freshwater fish. Stocked fish don't taste good. Saltwater fish are delicious.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:44 pm • # 28 

I don't eat fish as they all have that disgusting fishy taste .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:20 pm • # 29 

Most of the time I C&R. Though once in a great while I'll keep a few, especially on my birthday. Rainbows I release back because they don't have much taste. Browns on the other hand do have more taste, so I will keep 2 a year. Those are what I fish for on my B-Day.

Now brookies, that's another story. They populate so fast, and challenge our cutthroat for food and territory. Brookies I have no issue with bringing home, and they taste good too. So I can keep the legal limit on brookies every time I fish for them, and I won't even scratch the surface on dwindling their population.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:53 pm • # 30 

For those who don't like cleaning fish, you might look at: Cleaning Crappie faster
than most. On your browser.

My last time out I hooked into a very nice cutthroat trout, however he liked my fly so much he swallowed the whole thing past his gills and was bleading bad. So this one
found himself in the frying pan. It was dead in the river or in the pan.

Crunchy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:40 am • # 31 

I've kept and eaten 5 fish so far this year: three large striped bass that were part of an estimated one million fish that came to the mouth of the Miramichi to breed and spawn this year, and two 12" brookies that did the same thing Crunchy's cutthroat did. They were searun trout and delightfully pink and delicious. I've gone years without injuring a trout, and this year my (their?) luck ran out. I keep and eat yellow perch out of my home stream but this year did not intercept the larger breeders.

My buddies and I have discussed the releasing of injured fish on our C&R waters. Its required by law, but some feel it is a waste of a trout (or salmon - ALL salmon must be released in NB now). My feeling is that the biomass of the dead fish is returned to the stream, adding fertility that eventually becomes benthic invertebrates on which the younger fish will feed.

On my home stream, there is a bald eagle that will take watch 100 or so yards downstream while I fish and will help 'recycle' any hapless fish that doesn't recover after release. He certainly jettisons a lot of post digestion 'ballast' into the streambed and banks, so I guess they're finding their way back into the stream ecosystem, too.
brent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:19 pm • # 32 

In the last month I've kept over 100 bream, they are all filleted, put in water in Ziplok bags and in the freezer. Plenty of fish for the next few months. In Oct. I'll go to the bridge pylons in the Dallas area and jig for crappie and catch enough to last me through the winter.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:40 pm • # 33 

Cliff: :lol :applause
My neighbour claims that if god didn't want us to eat fish, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:04 pm • # 34 

Not quite eating fish, but keeping them.....
A buddy who late in life has become a cat owner and lover (by virtue of a second marriage ;) ) occasionally asks me to bring him some non-game fish for their cat to eat. She's a tad finicky, and loves raw fish, eaten whole. My home stream produces a very good population of chub and fallfish, and by this point in the year they're all done reproducing, so I don't mind 'harvesting' some. I leave the larger fish (over 12") to hopefully pass on their genes again next spring, and I leave the smaller ones (under 8") for no good reason other than it seems the right thing to do.
Early this morning I took the 3wt down to the stream, hoping to get in and out before the heat wave we're experiencing made life unpleasant for the 9th day in a row (85f, feels like 95). Using a small black wooly bugger with orange marabou tail, I managed to collect 12 or so nice sized fish in an hour and a half, being occasionally distracted by 8 to 10" smallies. Then I switched to a #12 buck bug and took a few more off the surface, just for the sheer fun of it. By then the cloud cover was leaving, the deet was wearing off, and the humidity was climbing so I packed it in, sweated my way home, tossed the fish in the freezer (whole, guts in, no cleaning :D ), and felt pretty smug about a good morning of fishing as a favour for a friend.
brent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:11 am • # 35 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Cliff: :lol :applause
My neighbour claims that if god didn't want us to eat fish, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

That's a SMART neighbor!!! :applause

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 35 posts ] New Topic Add Reply