It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 29  Next   Page 3 of 29   [ 568 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Welcome!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:13 pm • # 41 

Doc, welcome!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:16 am • # 42 

Just wanted to say hi and thanks for the forum. When I went to purchase my first fly rod I told the guy at the fly shop I fish a 4'8" UL with 2lb. test and have grown tired of spin fishing. I was interested in a fly rod & reel and wanted to know what I should get that would be good for 4-8" trout in the local streams. It's a good thing I did some research online before I went in because he told me my first rod should be a 9' 5 or 6wt.ImageImageImageImageImageImage!!! He almost laughed when I told him that I was thinking of a 7'-8' 3wt. "You won't be able to learn on a 3wt." Long story short I found a sporting goods store that sold fly fishing gear and employed local fly fisherman that weren't on commission. My first year I fished a 7'6" 3wt. very successfully and the joy of fishing came back, like when I was a kid. My second year I picked up a 00wt. and a 4wt. I fished the 4wt. twice in 3 years. The 00wt. is so much fun, epically in high pressure areas like here in Southern California. I never thought about fishing a 3' wide 2" deep stream before I owned my 00wt. I picked up a 1wt. last year and this is become my new go to rod.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:56 am • # 43 
Administrator

FishingHiker, Welcome to the UL forums. Looks like your going to fit in just fine with the rest of us UL nuts.

J.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:07 am • # 44 

Be sure you read the Funny UL stories. Yours fits right in. You may need a micro before all it said and done for ultra skinny fishing. Don

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:31 am • # 45 

My first experience with derision regarding an UL occurred about 40 years back. We were fishing a favorite Long Island Stream and I had a 6'6" 3wt Phillipson glas outfit, suitably esconced on the tippet (7x) was a size 22 whatever. I was laughed at by my 2 "buddies"----"....what're ya gonna catch with that rig....?". Well after about three minutes after I started whipping that little rod about, one cast after the other came up brookies and brownies, until I was exhausted---they sat on the bank with their mouths open after watching this display. It kinda makes you feel warm inside every time this happens. However, I don't try that with Salmon or Steelhead, it wouldn't be pretty. Image

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:54 am • # 46 

Doc, if you still have that Phillipson, I know some folks who would take it off your hands!

Anyway. I love showing people that UL gear is REAL fishing tackle!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:11 am • # 47 
Administrator

FishingHiker,
Welcome to the forum! when you get a chance post up some pix of what you catch and where.
Les

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:10 am • # 48 

Don (Zenkoanhead) brought this Forum to my attention. I am happy to join in and hope to learn from it and contribute to it whenever I can. I am a committed cane user, started making my own rods about four years ago and I just completed rod #15. The most interesting thing about making your own rods is the fact that you are free to experiment with tapers and you can only do that with cane. My interest and concentration on light line bamboo is driven by two facts. My fascination of things taken to the extreme and the unfortunate fact that most of the trout I catch are not very big. A 12 " brown is a lot of fun on a 1wt cane. Most of the trout are 9-12" with an occasional 14" and a very occasional 18" and above. The rods I make are 1-4wt. I also fish for bass and use 5 or 6wt cane made by others. Bought a Chinese lathe about 3 yrs ago and I am having a lot of fun making reel seats etc. with it. As my handle indicates, I am old but still vertical with knees and back that are holding up, so far. Oh yes, I am a Canadian and very much appreciate our national health care system that has served me and my family extremely well in the last little while.
Back to the planing form..............
Alex Vardanis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:26 am • # 49 

Welcome Alex....

I'm a neophite rod builder......just got blank #2 in - a Dorber 7'6 2wt graphite.

I look forward to your insight and advice in all areas of this forum.

David

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:23 am • # 50 

Consider this my official welcome aboard Alex! Chime in on the "tapers" thread if you get the chance. Don

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:26 am • # 51 
Administrator

Alex, I'll welcome you again. It's good to get some bamboo builders here, you guys know how to make some really nice rods.

J.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:49 pm • # 52 
Found this forum (on a suggestion from a fellow over at Warm Water Fly Fishing) and decided to join! Since most of my local fishing is done with either a 1wt, 3wt or 4wt I figure I fit into the 'ultralight' category. Honestly, I consider a 5wt 'big medicine' for most of my fishing, and feel more comfortable with my 1wt in my hand - it makes the little bluegill feel like lunker bass :-)

I currently fish a Cabela's Clear Creek 1wt w/an Orvis BBSI loaded with Orvis WF1 line, but I'm considering re-spooling with Sage DT1 line. Most of what I fish for are small bluegill, crappie and bass on local streams south of Atlanta, GA. I've taken everything from miniature bass (see my avatar) to 13" cutthroat trout on the 1wt, and never felt I had too much or too little fish on.

Bottom line - glad to be here!

Brian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:52 pm • # 53 
Administrator

Brian, Welcome to the UL forums, we are glad you found us! This is the place for fly fishermen just like you, that prefer to fish light line rods. We all look forward to hearing about your outings, gear, etc. I hope that you will feel at home here.

J.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:33 pm • # 54 
Administrator

Welcome Brian- good to see others from the Southeast

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:39 am • # 55 

I've been stopping by the forum now for a few months so I thought it was about time to introduce myself.

I've been fishing with a fly rod since I was around 13. I used my dad's old fiberglass Southbend rod and reel with 7wt Level line. I've been fly fishing on and off since then. In between, I would fish with my utlralight spin tackle. I mostly warm-water fly fish simply because that is what is readily accessible. Fishing for panfish and anything else that swims. However, I usually make a trip to N. Jersey for trout once a year. Two years ago, my wife and I bought a house on a lake in Southern, NJ and shortly after the fly rod came out and hasn't gone back. Recently, I've had friends move to Lake Placid and will have the opportunity to visit a few times a year. My first trip of the year will be in mid April.

Last year, I was lucky enough to exchange a reel for a Cabelas Three Forks 7'6" 3wt rod and reel outfit. I fished that rod the whole summer and loved every minute of it. I haven't fished a lot of rods but I seemed to be able to throw line almost anywhere I wanted with accuracy. About that time, I got the bug to use fiberglass and have been slowly re-outfitting myself.

I've managed to pick up some older Fenwicks (5wt) in great shape but they don't qualify for ultralight with regard to panfish and trout fishing. I'm now looking for an ultralight fiberglass rod in a 3wt (2wt maybe) to round out my collection. Why a 3wt? Maybe because I've had success with my Three Forks. Even thought it starts the ultralight category, it just seems to be a good all around weight. I now thinking about building my own rod just to save a few bucks. I'm looking at some Diamondglass and Steffen blanks. Does anyone know of anyplace I could try out some fiberglass rods in Southern New Jersey?

Though not fiberglass, the original Ovis Superfine 1wt is something I just can't stop thinking about. I think I may have to start looking for one...

Glad I found you guys as I discover fly fishing again. You guys have for having a great site and an incredibly helpful community!

Ed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:40 am • # 56 

welcome. I can tell you the superfine 1wt is an amazing stick, and they are available on ebay all the time. I will send you a link via PM.

on the three forks, that rod was my introduction to light fly tackle and I taught myself to fly fish on it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:07 am • # 57 
Administrator

Welcome Ed,
I glad you posted up here. We'd like to hear more about your thoughts on the cabelas three forks and your fishing experiences. So pull up a chair and take it easy!

Les

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:15 am • # 58 
Administrator

Ed, glad you have decided to join us. I don't know of any place to recommend to you so that you can try out glass rods. They just aren't a mainstream item, and very few shops carry them. I can tell you though that Mark Steffen makes great glass rods as does Mike McFarland. I have cast a McFarland 3wt and it was a wonderful rod.
He had another at the show I was at and it felt even better than the one I cast. The thing about both of these makers is that they can tailor just about anything you would want in a glass 3wt.

J.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:44 am • # 59 

Guys, Thanks for the welcome. This site is like a drug! Which is good and bad. My rod search is coming (I hope) to an end. I've managed to track down some fiberglass blanks and rods in 3wt. I just need to decide on what length I want, either 7' or 7.5". Regarding UL fly rods do any of you notice a significant difference between fishing these two lengths, all things being equal? In order to afford my new fiberglass addiction I need to sell off all but one of my graphite rods (4 in total). Again, good and bad. Reality is I don't use them so they must go. Yes, that would also include my Three Forks 3wt. Sorry, It doesn't look as if I will get the chance to give a decent review of that rod. The upshot is it would be replaced with a new 3wt. In addition to this, soon to have, FG 3wt I've decided that I also need (maybe need is a bit strong, but really really want badly) a 1wt. I'm go'n to have to get in on that 1wt discussion. Andy, I wasn't able to get the Orvis which was a little disappointing. Thanks Again, Ed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:51 am • # 60 

Ed, I sent you a PM, but honestly, I prefer the 7.5' length. It gives me better line control, at least in my skewed view. I also like the shorter rods. They all have their place. What kind of waters do you fish? That can tell us what length would better suit you. If you fish intimate creeks, you would be more suited with the 7'er, unless you do a lot of highsticking through the runs. On larger water, a 7.5' will give all the umph you need to cast to the fish, while still offering line control in wind with mends and the sort.

There are 1wt Orvis rods all the time on eBay, just like that one was. Keep an eye out for the Silver Label TL 8' 1wt sticks, as they go for about half what a Superfine does.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 29  Next   Page 3 of 29   [ 568 posts ] New Topic Add Reply