It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 29  Next   Page 5 of 29   [ 568 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Welcome!
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:22 pm • # 81 
Administrator

Hi Pete,
I'm a fiberglasser too who loves UL glass. Welcome to the forum, pull up a chair and enjoy yourself. By the way one of my go-to rods is my Lamiglas 6'6" 3wt.

Les

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:09 am • # 82 

Hi all,

I have been trying to get back into Fly Fishing since moving back to Ohio and a good friend recommended this forum. Most of my experience is fishing on heavier weight equipment up in Wisconsin. I don't have much experience with UL but I am intrigued and look forward to learning more. From the quick browsing around the forum I have done so far, this looks like a great resource!

-Mark

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:49 am • # 83 
Global Moderator

Welcome Mark!where in Ohio do you reside? the owner of the forum, Jkurtz, and I meet up about once a month to do some fishing. Either way, welcome and enjoy your stay.Phillip

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:02 am • # 84 
Administrator

Mark,
Welcome to UL fly fishers! You're indeed correct-this is a great resource for UL fly fishing info. We also have alot of fun here.

Les

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:07 am • # 85 
Administrator

Mark, welcome to the UL forums. Your more than welcome to come to the outing we are having at Darby creek on May 30th.

J.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:36 am • # 86 
Administrator

Mark,
I'd join 'em for that clave-it sounds like a great time.
Les

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:26 pm • # 87 

Wow - thank you everybody for such a warm welcome. I have heard some "rumors" about the Darby Creek trip Image so I may take advantage of JKurtz's invite. Phillip - To your question, I live in the Columbus area. A little more background about me - I was taught how to use a fly rod by my grandpa on an old 5wt. fiberglass rod and silk line (I still have the rod but the reel & silk line has since been retired). I learned how to fly fish in Milwaukee when I spent a summer interning for the BSA and working/volunteering part time for Pat Ehlers' at his fly shop, The Fly Fishers (I traded my time for knowledge and learned a ton - I would go back "working" for him in a heartbeat if the commute wasn't so long). However, I spent most of my time learning & fishing with an 8wt., throwing around flies the size of golf balls (almost), so this whole concept of UL is a little foreign to me. But once my friend/co-worker Elisa (elisasound on the forum) regailed me with her story of landing a 5lb bass with her 2wt. rod I was pretty hooked and so here I am ready and excited. The only thing I ask is that those going out to Darby remember that I haven't cast a rod much since coming back to Columbus and I may be a bit "rusty" so keep that laughter to a minimum ;)

-Mark

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:43 pm • # 88 

hi guys and gals. i found this site a few days ago and have been reading alot on ul fly fishing. i have had me a custom rod made were i can either use it with a spinnig reel or a fly reel, the rod is a 8 1/2 ul light with a tennessee handel for it. and is rated for either 3wt or 4wt line. what i would like to know is can i go lighter? also been having a hard time making my mind up on a reel for it, any suggestions? and if any one is near savannah,ga. i could use all the help you can give thanks rob

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:04 am • # 89 
Administrator

Hi Rob,
Welcome to Ultralight Fly Fishers! You might want to post your question on this rod under Fly Rods reels & Line. It sounds to me like a fly/spin outfit and most are rated as 3/4WT or heavier.
There are a few guys in the TN NC are on the boards here.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:07 am • # 90 

Hi, I just found this forum a couple days ago and looking forward to participating. Really enjoy UL flyfishing and this should help motivate me to get out more with my 2 & 3 wt gear.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:13 pm • # 91 

Hi everyone. Just wanted to say thanks for this ultralight forum. I'm a former central Texan now living in Utah. Fishing a 2wt. from my kayak mainly, when I get the chance.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:27 am • # 92 
Administrator

Jaxson,
Welcome to UL Fly Fishers! We're glad you found us, and yes the posts you'll read are real challenges to get us out and play with the lighter lines.
Please post some pics when you get a chance.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:31 am • # 93 
Administrator

nowindsknots,
Welcome!
Great name by the way. There seems to be a lot of us Texans living in all parts of the world-particularly in the West. I've only been to UT once, but I understand it's beautiful.
Please tell us some stories about some outings up there. We're you using UL glass?

Les

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:58 am • # 94 

Nowindknots. There are many Texans here. Either we are clever enough to flyfish or too lazy to do much else! I went to school in Austin, where did you live? Don

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:19 pm • # 95 

Les, stories can't begin to describe the geologic wonders here. I'm in Cedar City (elev. 5800 ft) which is way down south, near Dixie. Most of the famous trout waters are north. There are some mighty pretty little streams down here though. It's kind of strange really. When I lived in Texas I would fly fish for bass or bluegill several times a week, and always long to be on a western river fishing for big old trout. Now I'm at the edge of trout heaven and I'm not that excited about them. Usually if I'm targeting trout it is with ultralight spin gear for rainbow stockers for the table. Go figure.

There are some bass and bluegill waters relatively close that keep me entertained. Quail Creek reservoir has some really nice LMB that will often rise to poppers. The bigger bluegills are tough to find but the smaller ones like to play. There are a handful of smaller reservoirs that hold SMB. The greatest thing about this part of the country is the weather. Winters are tough, but the summers are divine.

Don, we lived in several towns near Austin. Fredericksburg, New Braunfels, Gonzales, and Seguin. I was a native of Seguin and spent 20 years at the Motorola manufacturing facility there. We used to love canoeing down the San Marcos. And fishing the empoundments on the Guadalupe. I don't miss the humidity and heat there but being able to fish in January was a real treat. And the Texas Cichlids in the local waters - oh my what fun!

I usually fly fish with a graphite 2wt from Cabela's. I have a shorter Wonderod that tosses a 3wt line with grace and ease, but struggles up close with the DT2. I don't fish it nearly as much as I should. Primarily because I mostly fish from a kayak and casts tend to be short. Thinking about it makes me want to overline it and take it out to play.

Thanks for the welcome guys. Next time we venture out I'll take along the camera and post some pics.

Last edited by nowindknots on Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:49 am • # 96 
Administrator

Jaxson, and nowindknots, sorry for the late reply but I was off on a fishing/camping trip this weekend. Welcome to the UL forums.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:19 pm • # 97 

Hi guys, I've been lurking around here for a while and figured it was time to register. I do most of my fishing in a small creek in the area for sunfish and small bass. Living right on the cusp of the Texas Hill Country provides me with some great fishing most of the year. I just started back up fly fishing after about a 3 year hiatus, and I primarily fish a TFO Finesse 3 weight with flies I tie myself.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. This site is a great wealth of information and I'm looking forward to learning more during my time here.

Tight lines!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:43 pm • # 98 

Another Central Texan! It's clearly a conspiracy. Don

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:15 pm • # 99 
Administrator

Mbenne,
Welcome to Ultralight fly fishers! You're at the right place.
If you get a chance go to the tying forum and discuss some of the patterns you tie and fish.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:55 pm • # 100 

Just wanted to stop by and say "HI". I'm Steve and I live in San Antonio and although I've only been fly fishing since last November I manage fish one day every week without fail. Usually just up the road off HiWay 281 on the Guadelupe. After lurking here a few days I decided to buy TFO Pro 8' 2wt and a Okuma SLV 2/3 with WF3F line. I've casted the outfit a few times in the yard and am very impressed. Can't wait to make it on the water next week (hopefully the temps will drop a little?). I look forward to sharing experieces and learning from everyone here on the UL site.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 29  Next   Page 5 of 29   [ 568 posts ] New Topic Add Reply