It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 27 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Best nippers?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:20 am • # 21 

I wish I didn't have to leave the Abel nippers out of the equation, but I will. I currently use an old pair of Orvis ceramics or their Ergonomic snips, neither have ever failed me. I've never liked the forcep / scissor combinations. I guess it's what you get used to.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:14 am • # 22 

If you've got Orvis ceramics that have held up, you're lucky. They were great at cutting thin tippet and light as a feather, but I've never known of any before that the blade, anvil, or both didn't fall out, usually where they couldn't be found and glued back in.
CC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:59 am • # 23 

cross creek one wrote:
If you've got Orvis ceramics that have held up, you're lucky. They were great at cutting thin tippet and light as a feather, but I've never known of any before that the blade, anvil, or both didn't fall out, usually where they couldn't be found and glued back in.
CC
I've got two sets, both as old as the hills. Never missed a beat on any tippet. I guess I have indeed been lucky. However, I am considering a set of Abels Image. Tart, moi?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:44 am • # 24 

Location: Lorain, Ohio but can be found in fishing waters of West by God West Virginia and southern Ohio.
I have been using my Axis Clipper for years now. I have at least a dozen of different nippers and they have all failed at one time or more to cut line as well a pair scissors do and are laying in the boxes not getting used as much or for back up. It also has a 20" tape measure inside its green plastic housing. Nothing better then this in a compact form. When I am out in my kayak I use a scissor I got from a guy in Malyasia after buying a bunch of hooks as a gift. Does a great job of cutting and nice thing about them is if I want to alter my flies like trimming them shorter or cut out more bulk I can. I tried it with nippers and it was awful!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:05 am • # 25 

I have tried several scissors/clamps combos, but just couldn't find much to love, although they usually cut tippet ok (still have a brand new pair of Orvis mini-scissor clamps if anyone wants them). It always seems that they are better at one thing than the other, and not great at anything. I want my scissors to be serrated, smooth, and tight, and my clamps to have very fine tips and operate very smoothly, even a bit loosely, so I don't destroy my flies getting hold of them. My current favorite clamps cost less than $2 at Harbor Freight, have micro fine tips, reasonably big finger holes, and are about 3.5 in long. I stick the finger holes in a bench vise and bend the clamps to a comfortable angle (bent clams with straight tips work better than straight clamps with curved tips for extracting flies). My scissors are the smallest Anvil fly tying scissors with straight tips, but I wouln't normally carry them on the water.
CC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:22 am • # 26 

Location: Lorain, Ohio but can be found in fishing waters of West by God West Virginia and southern Ohio.
I had one of those Orvis Scissor clamps. Promptly lost them on the first day I used them in the river as it fell out of the Sling Pak. Ugh! But can not tell much how like them so.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:52 am • # 27 

I like the William Joseph small nippers with rubber padding for a good grip. Mine are orange in case they fall off into the water. @ $12

Chips

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 27 posts ] New Topic Add Reply