It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 27 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Best nippers?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:09 pm • # 1 

You may think that the nippers are not UL, but if I tell you that not all nippers cuts 6x tippet or smaller with ease? Please leave the Abel nippers out of the equation... I dont know if I will spend that kind of money on a pair of nippers...

Which are your personal favorites, I do tie now and then, so if the nipper have a nail much better

Thanks for your time :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:16 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Thanks for the heads' up, Simon. I've liked the straight or angle cut nippers with a hook hone file from Dr. Slick. Been through a few but they work well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:18 pm • # 3 

Simon, best are your teeth, only kidding, but sometimes you gotta use em also ..i always use the hemo' s with the cuttng blade on it, i find the smaller black Hemo,s easy to handle and they just hang on a shirt or vest .... Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:50 pm • # 4 

The Anglers Image nippers are usually good and not too expensive ($10) but even with them, I find that I need to test several to find one that consistently cuts 6X and smaller all the way across the blades. The Japanese nippers (Tiemco/Orvis) with the magnifyer and threader cut consistently great, and make small flies less hassle to thread on the tippet. They retail for $25, but Orvis had them on clearance recently for $15 (now down to $14). The C&F nippers with the swing out threader and replaceable blades (comes with four blades and two threaders) are good. I think they run about $25. Cutting fine tippet is precision work--unfortunately, precision blade alignment and grinding isn't cheap. The other option is a small pen knife or scissors, but you're still into a few $$, and may not like having to open and close a knife every time, or have pointy scissors dangling.
CC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:48 pm • # 5 

I have been using Fishpond nippers for about a year and they cut 6x every time. They were a little expensive but they work. $18 if I remember correctly.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:18 am • # 6 
Administrator

I gave up on nippers a couple of years ago and have been using scissor/forceps.  One less thing to carry.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:37 pm • # 7 

Good advice, thanks to you all.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:10 pm • # 8 

But Jerry, if you stick to small flies, you can really cut down on what you carry by getting the C&F nippers, loading the threader up with the hatch du jour, and adding small tweezers to the pin on reel for extracting flies. Stick a spool of 6X in your pocket, and you're ready to go--no need to even carry a fly box! The ultimate in UL! Seriously, in terrestrial/small fly season (most of the year), when trout fishing, I have done just that, although I carry a few more pre-loaded threaders with alternative flies in a very small candy tin. The freedom from stuff almost makes the hassle of seeing tiny flies and tippet with "upper-middle-aged" eyes worth it . . . almost.
CC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:16 pm • # 9 
Administrator

cross creek one wrote:
But Jerry, if you stick to small flies, you can really cut down on what you carry by getting the C&F nippers, loading the threader up with the hatch du jour, and adding small tweezers to the pin on reel for extracting flies.
I usually fish buggers, nymphs, and poppers in the 12-18 range.  And fishing for bass and large brim I'm constantly using the forceps part of the scissors.  Even though the big gills don't take it deep very often their mouths are frequently small enough that I need the forceps just to get in there 1/4" :-)

My typical local water gear consists of a spool of 4x in one pocket a single fly box in the other.  And the scissor/forceps on a zipper attached to a belt-loop. 

Admittedly if I go up to Colorado I wear a vest and carry a lot more stuff.  But that's pretty rare.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:31 pm • # 10 
Administrator

I'd really like to just use a pair of cutter/forceps but I can't do without the hook hone on the nippers. If someone invented a set of nipper/forceps with a small hook hone, I'd be all over that like white on rice.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:35 pm • # 11 

I might have to try making a #18 popper! I have been known to tie (not lately) anatomically-correct #28 ants, entirely of thread, with glue-stiffened/bent legs and antennae. Makes the world's problems disappear in a red haze of frustration.
CC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:34 pm • # 12 

CBarclay wrote:
I'd really like to just use a pair of cutter/forceps but I can't do without the hook hone on the nippers. If someone invented a set of nipper/forceps with a small hook hone, I'd be all over that like white on rice.

Dr. Slick makes a cutter/forceps with a hook hone ;) look at the picture uploaded by jdub

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:43 pm • # 13 

I can't remember ever needing to sharpen a hook while out fishing--just change flies. Of course, I don't have little people at home to distract me from such mundane tasks, like you. The next one of those I expect to see in my house will be when my daughter shows up with one in tow--which I hope will at least be after she finishes grad school!
CC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:26 pm • # 14 

simonuca wrote:
"CBarclay" wrote:

Dr. Slick makes a cutter/forceps with a hook hone ;) look at the picture uploaded by jdub

Ive made a mistake, they have an eye pin...

You can have a small hook hone like the Eze-Lap Hook Hone. When stored is like a pencil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:02 pm • # 15 
Administrator

CBarclay wrote:
I'd really like to just use a pair of cutter/forceps but I can't do without the hook hone on the nippers.
Since I tie my own they're usually pretty sharp to start with and I'm pretty consistent about leaving them in a tree, shrub, snag, or broken off in a fish, before they can get dull.  I can't remember the last time I sharpened one when I was out fishing. :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:57 pm • # 16 

I have been using these serrated snips for almost 3 year now. These will cut any size tippet you have, and have never let me down.......about $3.00 at Wally-World.(when I bought them)...Don S. in SC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:20 am • # 17 

I have used, & been disappointed in, many over priced nippers over the years. To this day, in crunch time with tippet 7x or larger, my good ol' nail clippers are my choice. I'm not kidding, I have carried the same pair of toe nail clippers (Revlon brand LOL) for several years. BTW, I use them when I fish in the salt too & they're great for adjusting the length of silicone & rubber legs.
Ok, so I'm an old redneck!
Mikey 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:31 am • # 18 

ohiotuber, you are not alone. Ive asked the same question in a Chilean FF forum I mod and the 80% of the forum members that answer the question over there swear by the nail clippers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:10 am • # 19 
Administrator

Once upon a time, I bout some hooks with the 'needle point' and after every fish I caught, rock touched, or branch nicked the point would be dulled or messed up. I still have a bunch of flies tied on these hooks unfortunately. That and I usually wait to sharpen the hooks until I tie them on to fish.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:03 pm • # 20 

Nail clippers, there available alot of places ,I dont have to order or drive 50 miles to get them. plus if I need to do my nails, or my fishin buddies and catch up on the gossip.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 27 posts ] New Topic Add Reply