It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 39 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:34 am • # 21 
Administrator

Art, where are you getting the wool for dubbing?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:33 am • # 22 

In fly shops and catalogs, shearling is sold in several colors as sculpin wool. For cream/natural, I have a couple of fly patches from old vests (more or less worthless for that purpose, anyway, compared to foam). Online you can find scrap shearling in mixed colors from clothing makers and upholsterers for $10-20 per bag, but they are usually the size of garbage bags--enough to outfit every member of ULFF for years. That would be the best and cheapest source for a fishing club or group of tyers, though.
CC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:47 am • # 23 

David,
I suspected the small fry would be a problem, although less so when the bulls are present and keyed in on midges. Small sunfish are aggressive feeders, for sure. Maybe luring them away with bread crumbs or something would help. This may just be one of those angling impossibilities though, like imitating the tiniest ants, which would have to be tied under a microscope, even if 1/16 inch hooks and suitable tippet were available--at least Spiderwire thread is fine enough to tie that small, and hackle would be superfluous, but that hook thing . . . The ants I found in my dog's food bowl this morning were barely larger than two periods.
CC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:45 am • # 24 

I've actually considered starting a thread on here about why, it seems to me, that bluegill inhale larger dry flies (14/16) and not smaller ones. Just about every time I use a fly larger than an 18 or so, the flies end up way back in the mouth or even further. Even size 24 BWOs just get 'em in the lips or scissors of the jaw and rarely get swallowed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:33 am • # 25 

My hypothesis (admittedly I haven't tested it yet), is that they would be more aggressive about inhaling a bug big enough to get away, or maybe more competitive with other fish over bigger food. At the same time, big bluegill carefully inspect bigger flies and are slower to take them. Most game fish hit minnows harder than less mobile food, but it's neither scientific nor smart to assume that the same behavior we see in speedy omnivores applies to the insectivorous bluegill. I will be testing next time out, that's for sure.
CC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:27 pm • # 26 

Black foam beetles with a peacock herl underbelly work best for me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:46 pm • # 27 

Cap Spiders and Bluegill Bullies

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:03 pm • # 28 

I do not have a particular fly that I can say is my favourite blue gill fly. That is because I had never found one that consistently caught blue gills day in and day out. It seemed that the fly that caught fish consistently yesterday did not work nearly as well the next. I am still giving consideration to many fly patterns. However, surface type fly patterns have always been my favourite, usually little cork poppers with rubber legs and a feather tail of some kind. I like to watch a big gill take the popper from the surface. Sometimes its explosive and other times the bug just disappears in a small whirlpool. Either way, it's all good.
I have been experimenting with the foam body type flies of late. They are easy to tie and they float well. I would like to try some of those sponge rubber spider type flies like Tailingloop and Cross Creek have displayed. And FrankB's foam beetle looks like a killer bug.
With all that being said, perhaps, the bigger blue gills and bass are caught more often beneath the surface on sunken fly patterns. Nevertheless, I get frustrated when I have to continually clean green slime and weeds from my fly on nearly every cast. So, I don't fish subsurface as often as I otherwise might.
What is the Breaminator?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:30 am • # 29 

Foam spiders because they are cheap and surface baits. Wooly buggers with and without beads for subsurface bites. Also elkhair ccaddis is good when they are focused on bugs. All are easy to tie and cheaper compared to buying. I'm uncoordinatted and can whip out some decent flies and its another hobby when fish are not biting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:19 am • # 30 

That's a good looking bug. I bet smallmouth would like it as well. 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:35 am • # 31 

My son and I have great fun catching bluegill with a mini hopper.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:39 pm • # 32 
Administrator

Redfish-whisperer,
Welcome to UL flyfishers, and when you get a chance go to the welcome forum and tell us about yourself.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:39 am • # 33 

dave potts wrote:
Cap Spiders and Bluegill Bullies

Ditto!!! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:42 pm • # 34 

#12 black foam ant or beetle great thread and i can finally talk about gills!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:43 pm • # 35 

#12 black foam ant or beetle great thread and i can finally talk about gills!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:01 pm • # 36 

floating black spydie with lime green legs. or countless variations of same or until the white spydie chartreuse legs tied with orange thread hatch kicks in...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:03 pm • # 37 

Betts " Frugal Frog"

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 39 posts ] New Topic Add Reply