It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 39 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:41 am • # 1 

I am trying to build up an arsenal, but I must be able to buy because I don't tie.

thanks in advance!!!
FLYMORON

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:41 am • # 2 
Administrator

Briminator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:45 am • # 3 

The one buried in a big red ear's mouth!!!...:)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:27 am • # 4 

I use poppers in blue,black & yellow they do pretty good also small woolly buggers & clousers minnows work well on Va. gills
                    Dennis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:39 am • # 5 

Top water.......The foam spider      Sub-surface............The MM minnow. To have the best flies, you need to pick-up a simple vise (for as little as $20) and learn to tie. You can save enough to pay for the vice in no time and have better flies to boot.......(not to mention the fun of tying during the cold or rainy days of winter)............Don S. in SC

ImageImage
ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:42 pm • # 6 

My go to Bluegill pattern every time is
the "Briminator". ...... you cannot go wrong with that in your arsenal ...Paul PS try Breambugs.com large selection of panfish flies.

Last edited by Guest on Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:01 pm • # 7 

Any trout fly will catch bream, they feed on the same things - wooly buggers, copper johns, pheasant tail nymphs, etc.  This morning I was bass fishing on a local lake and the bream were going crazy feeding on #28 midges that were hatching all over the lake. A zebra midge nymph would have worn them out. 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:02 pm • # 8 

Another favorite that I neglected to mention in my first post was the infamous "Jitterbee" another
Effective pattern for any Panfish ..good luck ... Paul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:40 pm • # 9 

I just read your post again..I apologize for the red ear comment..these are most of my go to flies.....a miss prissy popper...a kebranch briminator...a kurtz hot spot...a loop mm minnow....a chucks squirrel...and a fishing hiker briminator...a david gale buzz hackle....now everyone knows why I try to get the extra's during a fly swap...our members tie flies that work!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:33 pm • # 10 

White foam spider (size 12)
Yellow woolly worm with red wool tail & grizzly hackle (size 12)
Red butt epoxy ant (size 14)
They are all easy to tie & VERY effective

I seldom go to any other patterns, but if they are finicky, I'll occasionally toss a small size 14 black foam beetle
Mikey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:38 pm • # 11 

robgcp wrote:
..now everyone knows why I try to get the extra's during a fly swap..
You son of a gun!!! I remember the first "mini streamer" swap last year spring...... that was a lot of fun!  I used all those flies up in a few weeks........ every one caught lots of bluegills.
Why don't you tie, Rob? Very relaxing and you'll have way too many before you know it! YouTube has one million videos with step by step tying instructions. I watch and add a few modifications myself!
I have almost as much fun tying as I do fishing. My next hobby....... I'm going to build a couple 000's this winter. With the same stuff that Cross Current used!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:37 am • # 12 

Prince nymphs, Haresears in size 8-14 are good choices. Buy a starter tying kit, not much better than catching a fish on a fly that you tied.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:09 am • # 13 

Depends on water but my best bluegill hole with wild gills it is a white spider with green legs and orange thread. Sometimes a green popper.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:34 am • # 14 

Green or yellow Oscar Meyers..

Weenies that is..

Cheap and easy to tie, anything else and your throwing good money away.
Bluegills will eat anything. Sure its fun to tie other patterns but a BG, let alone 15-20, will tear up a nice trout fly quick.
I support the idea of learning to make your own, lots of people do it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:12 pm • # 15 

Very slow-sinking spider tied with dubbed shearling fleece wool (cream or black, or whatever color suits you), rubber or silicone legs, and cheap Indian %%@*(rooster, by the more traditional name that is apparently now verboten on Yuku) hackle, if you want it fancy.  You won't find this one commercially, but anyone who ties could whip up some for you, and you could easily make this your first fly, if you wanted to start tying.  If you aren't squeamish about what is and isn't fly fishing, I understand from a reliable source that soaking these (or practically any bluegill fly) in mashed up wasp larvae or catalpa worms is killer!
CC

Wool spider is the lower fly.  Upper one is a floating foam spider, often available in fly shops, but very easy to tie. 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:51 pm • # 16 

elk hair cadis!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:51 pm • # 17 

cross creek one wrote:
Very slow-sinking spider tied with dubbed  rubber or silicone legs, soaking these  in mashed up wasp larvae is killer!
CC
Me too!! I like a micro cap spider, with dubbing body - no stinkin' chenille, and tipped with a Gulp Alive Waxie or a Power Bait Wiggler.
All the tiny sinking flies work with the bluegills........ but when the bite is tough, the rubber legs and the Gulp really helps!!
Just don't tell your elitist trouter friends ....... they will throw rocks at you!!! LOL You might even be shunned from your church!! Just keep this quiet? Only you and me and the million folks on the internet now!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:53 pm • # 18 

I use a few flies for bluegills/pumpkinseed/etc. Elk Hair Caddis and Green Weenies are very good, but when they rise without taking, a #16 BWO or Adams does the trick. Favorite fly for these little guys? A foam beetle fly that I tie on a #6 Tiemco Standard hook:

It's a favorite because it lasts forever, is nearly impossible for the fly to get swallowed, and even the smallest fish will take it. I do tie them smaller with a single set of legs, but use the #6 most often because of the chance that a nice smallmouth will nail it. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:52 am • # 19 

As a few have mentioned, bluegill have midges and midge-sized bugs available to them much of the year and they readily eat them. Chris and I have been discussing offline whether or not we could fish tiny flies for them without the fish swallowing the flies. I know trout tend to sip the little stuff and get hooked on or near the lips. Bluegill typically suck their food in like a vacuum, so moderately small flies are taken very deeply, leading to injured fish and/or lost flies, but we are wondering whether they might sip tiny ones like trout and be hooked near the lips. Has anyone tried this enough to say? I'm talking about #18 and smaller flies, not #12-16 (which we already know they usually suck in aggressively and deeply). CC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:27 am • # 20 

Art,

I've used size 20 and 22 copper johns before and quit using them for the very reasons you stated. One interesting thing I noticed, was the smaller the fish, the more likely it was that it would have taken the fly deep. I lost a lot more flies on 3 inch fish than >6 inch fish. Not sure if that is because the fly could travel further out of the mouth before impaling the fish, or if the smaller fish just took it deeper in the first place.

The smaller flies are also harder to "get by" the little fish. So I seemed to spend an awful lot of time catching tiny fish with them.

Just my limited perspective, and others probably have much more experience with these fish and flies than I.

---David

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 39 posts ] New Topic Add Reply