It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 37 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:38 am • # 21 

Hi Brian and welcome to the forum. Nice trip you've made :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:02 am • # 22 

Brian, Welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:45 am • # 23 

Very nice pictures.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:40 pm • # 24 

As I wrote above, I bought a Wood River Gliderider tube in 1998 and used it a lot until around 2002. It sat idle for a decade and it is time to dust it off!

However, I cannot find the adapter needed to attach to and inflate the primary air bladder in the Wood River tubes. I must have lost the connector!

Do any of you know what type of connector or adapter is required to actually connect to and inflate the Wood River tubes (vintage 1998)?

An image of the valve is attached. Does anyone know what adapter I need to inflate this thing?

Thank you so much for your help...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:50 pm • # 25 

looks like the valve on the colorado xt by Classic Accessories.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:02 pm • # 26 

It looks like the Halkey Roberts valves on my Water Master. If so a K-Pump K100 would be a great pump for it.

Spartan Fishing Tackle in UK has the license for, and produces the Glide Rider and replacement parts. Give them a call or send an email.
http://www.spartonfly.co.uk/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:38 pm • # 27 

Thanks guys. I already spoke with Spartan Fishing Tackle and they are trying to help me out.

I am a man of action ::) so I also bought the K-Pump K100 to see if that works.

Striped bass are all over the NH coast right now, and while I like fishing for them from my kayak I also have a hankering to try the float tube this year. That makes the Nantucket sleigh ride that much more fun.

Thanks again,

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:43 pm • # 28 

On the light weight fins, the Creek Co. Lightweight Fins work well, and they aren't very expensive. Also they pack flat.

On the valve.... I use a piece of clear vinyl tubing from Home Depot to work as an adapter between my pump and a similar type valve. Measure the inner diameter of your valve and match it to the outer diameter of the tubing. The thickness of the vinyl tube's wall allows for it to fit most pump adapters.

To Brian Miller: Well done on a beautiful hike! As you can see by my user name, you are in some of my very favorite country. I grew up on the west side of Rainier, so I really enjoy seeing pictures of that country. Nice sized fish for that area too!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:01 am • # 29 

I hiked in 4 miles in the eastern Sierra with my 12 pound U420, it was not a big deal for me. The lite weight version looks even better. You can find the u420 on sale at a few places I bought mine at Amazon from Creek co, but also saw some on eBay for pretty cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:16 am • # 30 

Awesome photos! Welcome and thanks for sharing. I love alpine lakes. Was that your first time to that lake in a tube? I have a couple questions, sent you a pm.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:55 pm • # 31 

Brian_Miller wrote:
My entire kit with everything I need for daytrippin' including waders, fins, PFD, wading jacket, net, Bernoulli bag pump I made, food, and water filter bottle fits into / lashes onto my Fishpond Tundra Tech Pack, and weighs about 20lbs total.

Brian, I am interested in what you used to make your Bernoulli bag pump, and how you were connecting it to your valves.

I have thought about using a food saver roll, but it is kind of heavy. I have heard of using Diaper Genie refills, but I am thinking it might be too light and tear. So I am still looking. I would like something about as strong as a good trash bag.

In order to not hijack this thread more, maybe you could do a separate post on it??
Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 pm • # 32 

Brian I tried out your inflation bag design with some small modifications. Using the Food Saver machine to taper the end of the bag where the inflation adapter fits. I managed to cut the tapered end to the diameter of the plastic fitting and reinforced the seal with a zap-a-gap, a small zip tie and, and reinforced with duct tape. I can't wait to try it out on the lake.

Thanks Brian!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:01 pm • # 33 

Bravo! Looks Great!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:35 pm • # 34 

Good advice on the tube and fins! The Force Fins are the best, just got a new pair.

Craig

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:59 pm • # 35 

Hi All,

I just found this forum and thread while doing more research and thought the OP and the rest of you might enjoy reading about my UL tube project.

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread. ... be-Project

_SHig

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:35 pm • # 36 

I've also been hiking to alpine wilderness lakes for about 15 years, and carrying a float tube to enjoy the fly fishing. Still have some old Wood River tubes, but bladders have started to fail. If you do a Google search for ultralight float tubes, some newer alternatives have appeared for even lighter float tubes ---about 3.8 pounds.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:42 am • # 37 

After having lugged around a 1980s Fishmaster of OKC (Tractor tube in heavy, coated canvas round cover) for the last 30 years I purchased a new "U" type tube recently.

I am usually an "early adopter" of new technology but I guess that old Fishmaster and I have a "flomance" going on. That thing has provided an almost uncountable number of awesome memories.

But, the new one is a LOT lighter and after a trail run it seems to me that it moves a lot easier too. Not to mention it is much easier to get in and out of.

So "lightweight" may be a matter of perspective. :)

I LOVE all things float tube related so sorry I didn't add much but I had to chime in.
JD

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 37 posts ] New Topic Add Reply