It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:15 pm • # 1 

I regularly fish a 4 acre pond loaded with bream and bass and do really well with the bream until late May ( when it gets very hot)! This pond is football field shapped running north and south. Most of my fish are caught on the south end in water up to three feet. Middle of the pond is about 8 ft. - the north end near the dam goes to 15 ft. The fish I catch in early and mid summer hit floating spiders and sinking flies equally well. Most days I fish late evening until nearly dark. This pond has virtually no cover and no grass - owner put too many grass carp in the pond. I do not think that the pond has any drop offs -just seem to slope
from the bank to the middle. Suggestion on how you would fish this pond in hot weather?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:51 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Try weighted flies with good swimming action fished deep and slow. Use a long leader of at least 9 feet if your gonna use a floating line. There's always a chance that a sink tip line may be called for too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:58 pm • # 3 

Use a weighted fly, i.e. a cap spider or a weighted nymph, under a strike indicator, anywhere from 3' to 8'.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:31 pm • # 4 

+1 on the sinking fly...........be patient and give the fly enough time to get down to the cooler water. I like a slow steady retrive but short strips will work too. Don't strip fast enough for the fly to rise very much.....Good luck, please post pictures of your results................... Don in SC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:18 pm • # 5 

Tailingloop wrote:
+1 on the sinking fly...........be patient and give the fly enough time to get down to the cooler water. I like a slow steady retrive but short strips will work too. Don't strip fast enough for the fly to rise very much.....Good luck, please post pictures of your results................... Don in SC

Great advice, Don, most people strip their flies much too fast. I strip mine just two to three inches at a time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:38 pm • # 6 

Welcome to the Board. If you are thinking about getting a sinking line try the Teeny BS 100. When it gets hot down here in Texas I switch to intermediate and sinking lines, the Teeny being my favorite. It's an easy line to cast and works well in rivers and creeks besides ponds. It will hug the bottom and get your fly deep fast and with stealth.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:20 am • # 7 

Welcome abord :) As you can see information is always available from a great bunch of guys. All I can say is ditto to the suggestions above.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:28 am • # 8 
Administrator

Welcome!
I agree, slow and low. I like very slow sinking flies.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:16 pm • # 9 

Thanks, guys. I assume that I should cast along the bank and constantly
go deeper to locate the fish - right? The sinking flies I use most are zug bugs, copper johns, cap spiders and wooley buggers (#10 and 12's) - I am guessing these will work in very deep water. I am open for any suggestions regarding locating fish or flies that will work better. Again thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:47 pm • # 10 

Well fact is ain't no fun bait fishing so early or late and on top. 4 acres you can watch and catch the activity levels.

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply