It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 57 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: One fish
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:18 pm • # 21 

"so the question should have IMHO read UL fish .... Anything over three weight don't count ..."

I thought that was a given.
Still trout for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:19 pm • # 22 

It is tough to say just one-I love brookies but if forced to choose I would say smallmouth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:31 pm • # 23 

Nothing is ever a given on here, you will learn that as you progress through
The gauntlet of ultra fly fishing discussion on here ... I'm willing to wager that someone in this thread b4 it dies will relate to something other than ultralight fly fishing ... Be patient it will happen ....

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:36 pm • # 24 

Panfisher1 wrote:
Nothing is ever a given on here, you will learn that as you progress through
The gauntlet of ultra fly fishing discussion on here ... I'm willing to wager that someone in this thread b4 it dies will relate to something other than ultralight fly fishing ... Be patient it will happen ....

Paul

It already did. Read my post, the second one from the start of this thread. :hat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:55 pm • # 25 
Administrator

Paul, that's out of one pond he goes to. Most P-seeds are small. I rarely catch them in my creek, but they have been stocked in ponds here and there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:21 pm • # 26 

Jeremy ...he's getting pretty darn good learning the craft .... He's caught
Some nice size Bluegills, LM bass, P-seeds once he really gets the hang of
It watch out .... ;) ;)

He is one of the real good people I've met on the net ..

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:53 pm • # 27 

The Texas fisheries population controller has special privileges holding
That post ...I understand its a lifetime appointment like a Supreme Court judge ...so he may at various intervals talk about other than UL ...who's going to fire him ???

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:26 am • # 28 

Oncorhynchus clarkii lewisi

Where they live doesn't suck either.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:23 am • # 29 

The next one I can target on my 2wt (makes EVERY fish species/size fun) so sorry I can't answer this question. In my previous life of fishing 5wts Trout give the best most energetic fights, and as Linecaster mentioned Vaal Small Mouth Yellowfish put ONE HELL of a bend in my 2wt, oh, err, oops, (any fly rod used) on their blistering high speed runs. (double hookup of 2x1kg's on a 2wt is something very special)

I think a trout in a stream that hits the main current will top this though. Very feisty little species, have still to fish them in a proper stream where they can use the water as an advantage against me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:45 am • # 30 

Panfisher1 wrote:
The Texas fisheries population controller has special privileges holding
That post ...I understand its a lifetime appointment like a Supreme Court judge ...so he may at various intervals talk about other than UL ...who's going to fire him ???

Paul

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:47 am • # 31 

Gills !!....with the Copper-Heads being my all time favorite.........
...........They get BIG and always put up a great scrap on UL fly gear......Don in SC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:26 am • # 32 

Tailingloop wrote:
Gills !!....with the Copper-Heads being my all time favorite.........
...........They get BIG and always put up a great scrap on UL fly gear......Don in SC

Nice Ones Don!

Addendum to my Previous Post
I Love Big Old Copperheads and I noticed a couple others have added secondary fish so if I can't go after Suwannee Bass I'l go after Copperheads any day :D
Darn shame they don't live in the same places.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:42 pm • # 33 

Bloody nice fish! Is that red on its lip marking or blood? Never seen or caught a Gill before but they come close to our local Kurpers. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:07 pm • # 34 

I believe that's a bit of blood on his lip, Don could say for sure. Gills are one of the many species of freshwater Sunfish we have here in the States. Most are social bedding fish that feed primarily on insects and small minnows. Excellent fly rod fish and good to eat, which is why some refer to them as Panfish.
I'm not sure of the name Kurper but I think their a type of Tilapia?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:51 pm • # 35 

Yes the Kurper is the Afrikaanse name for the Tilapia, that said there are many species of the tilapia.
I said my #1 fish is the Vaal small mouth yellow fish but will definately agree that the Blue gill for the fight in its size is at the top of the list here for me.

Unsociable the Blue Gill on average are small but can grow to a kg in weight. However they give you a terrific scrap on light weight tackle especially if you can connect with fish in the area of 8-9 inches.

Post subject: Gills !
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:15 pm • # 36 

I've been a gill fan for sixty years , since I caught my first one at age two . When I say Gills , I refer to all of the sunfishes . Never have to travel very far to find some that are willing to take a fly , like this one I took today at my town's small pond . It was one of about a dozen I took in about an hour on my custom Lamiglas 6'6" 3wt. What a bend it put in the little rod ! gillchaser

Last edited by gillchaser on Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:55 pm • # 37 

Very Pretty Gill, I don't get to see them very often with the teal coloration on the chin/face.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:40 pm • # 38 

I thought I've seen all the variations of bluegills ..
But coloration on that one
Is beautiful ....different with the teal face .... Usually their coloration is dictated by the type of water they habitat .....may I ask where this one is from ...
Thanks

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:57 pm • # 39 

Panfisher1 wrote:
I thought I've seen all the variations of bluegills ..
But coloration on that one
Is beautiful ....different with the teal face .... Usually their coloration is dictated by the type of water they habitat .....may I ask where this one is from ...
Thanks

Paul

Paul , I caught this one out of a small shallow old pond of about maybe two acres , that belongs to the little town I live in just south of Atlanta Georgia . The pond is heavily fished . Most of what I catch there are small But occasionally , I'll hook one like this one . I return all I catch there to swim again , especially the bigger ones . I think they've earned it . The water that feeds the pond is mostly runoff .
Even with the distraction of the walkers , with their animals and/or kids , along the walking track that surrounds the pond , this is my escape pond , that I can run over , for a quick fishing fix . Only two miles from the driveway . gillchaser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:07 am • # 40 

That must be awesome having fishable waters so close by. We have a pond nearby but sadly the people in the area make it not too safe to go there. The frst day that I receive my concealed carry I will be frequenting these places that are left alone, it is only 2min from my house. But apart from that the closest water to me is 30min+ drive. I think I like the sound of Gills, will have to visit someone on the forum (willing to sleep under the stars) to get into some of those little fish! They are some of the prettiest I've seen.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 57 posts ] New Topic Add Reply