It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Hocking Hills Ohio
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:18 pm • # 1 

My grandpa said he would like to take my brothers and I down to Hocking hills sometime. Is it a good area to fly fish for trout? Anyone tried there before?
Thanks, Blake

Post subject: Re: Hocking Hills Ohio
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:39 pm • # 2 

I was not aware of trout in that area unless you are talking about stockers which would then be dictated by when they stock the lakes, etc.... Being further east than I am, it may be more interesting to venture into West Virginia.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:11 pm • # 3 
Global Moderator

Tons of options for Smallies in the Hocking Hills area. As far as trout, good luck. As far as I know, the only trout that get stocked there are in the lakes during late fall and early spring.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:30 pm • # 4 

I'm guessing that both of you (ARReflections and pkrotine) fish in Ohio. Have either of you fished the Mad River? I hear people talk about it but I'm having a hard time finding it on Google maps. I've been snowboarding at Mad River Mountain. I would assume that the river runs close to the mountain. If you could give me some areas on that, I would appreciate it! (and access points )

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:49 pm • # 5 

The Mad River is a gin-clear river that has holdover as well as stocked trout. It is a VERY tough river to fish, and not very scenic at all. There are some very nice fish in there. Here is a map of the area.
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/LinkClick.as ... abid=19478 The Mad River is west of Columbus.

I'll be honest with you, though...there are some kick-ash streams and rivers in Ohio for smallmouth and saugeye... There IS another stream that is stocked with browns, near where you're wanting to go. PM me and I can fill you in. Most of the fish are small, and There is hardly any, if any, holdover.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:19 am • # 6 

Ohio is known for the smallmouth bass as mentioned by screech. It is funny you are from Indiana feather fly since people around southwest ohio go to brookville lake tailwaters in Indiana for trout. Steelhead is also another fish targeted by fly fisherman in Ohio (steelhead alley). Joe Cornwall has a lot of great information regarding ohio fly fishing at www.flyfishohio.com .

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:41 pm • # 7 
Administrator

I've not been to Hocking Hills so I don't know what real opportunities are there, but I've never heard of any trout there.

Ohio is not a trout State by any means. There is the Mad, which is a spring fed ditch, and also Clear Fork, all others are stocked fisheries with little to no holdover, with one exception, and that is the few native brookie streams up north which you can't fish. All the steelhead fishing is nothing more than put and take.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:41 pm • # 8 

ARReflections wrote:
It is funny you are from Indiana feather fly since people around southwest ohio go to brookville lake tailwaters in Indiana for trout.
Well I'm basically new to fly fishing too. I'm trying to find the best places to try fishing around my area. And it seams that everyone has different opinions about each place lol.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:11 am • # 9 

The Hocking through there fishes well, but I have never fished it this late in the season. It's usually a diverse, mixed bag. I have caught about everything (minus trout) in that river. Smallies, spotted bass, largemouth, crappies, sunfish, sauger...all are possible. I tend to fish small streamers that basically any hungry fish in the river would eat and get a mixed bag every trip. Don't overlook the carp, too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:39 pm • # 10 
Global Moderator

FeatherFly wrote:
I'm guessing that both of you (ARReflections and pkrotine) fish in Ohio. Have either of you fished the Mad River? I hear people talk about it but I'm having a hard time finding it on Google maps. I've been snowboarding at Mad River Mountain. I would assume that the river runs close to the mountain. If you could give me some areas on that, I would appreciate it! (and access points )

Honestly, trout don't do it for me. Yes they are pretty to look at and they take flies beautifully, but (and please no one be too rough with my inner hillbilly on this one) I prefer fishing for smallmouth bass. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy fishing for trout, but I am more at home fishing small creeks for smallmouth bass and fishing docks for largemouth bass. That being said, if you are really looking for a trout experience, head to Pennsylvania or Michigan or even West Virginia. they are worth the drive were as I would't count the Mad anywhere near the leagues of those respective states.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:05 pm • # 11 

pkrotine wrote:
FeatherFly wrote:

Honestly, trout don't do it for me. Yes they are pretty to look at and they take flies beautifully, but (and please no one be too rough with my inner hillbilly on this one) I prefer fishing for smallmouth bass. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy fishing for trout, but I am more at home fishing small creeks for smallmouth bass and fishing docks for largemouth bass. That being said, if you are really looking for a trout experience, head to Pennsylvania or Michigan or even West Virginia. they are worth the drive were as I would't count the Mad anywhere near the leagues of those respective states.

That's the choice I have to make every time I need a trout fix. I have a little over two hours to drive to the Mad, three hours puts me in blue ribbon brookie water in WV. I choose WV every time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:55 pm • # 12 

For the Mad, park at the dirt lot on the northeast side of the intersection of River Road and Rt. 36, just west of Urbana. It's a nice stretch of calm water with better dry fly fishing than I've found elsewhere on the Mad. The Pimtown Rd. access, just outside of West Liberty is pretty good, too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:09 pm • # 13 

timber wrote:
For the Mad, park at the dirt lot on the northeast side of the intersection of River Road and Rt. 36, just west of Urbana. It's a nice stretch of calm water with better dry fly fishing than I've found elsewhere on the Mad. The Pimtown Rd. access, just outside of West Liberty is pretty good, too.

Thanks for the specific information!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:49 pm • # 14 

You bet. If you see two or three trucks, don't worry--they're probably from the canoe livery just upstream. If you see cars, your best bet is to try somewhere else or check to see if you can still see fisherman upstream. If you can't see them, you're probably good to go.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:06 am • # 15 

I was planning on going over to brookville over the weekend until I got hit with the honeydo list. You may also want to try applecreek for trout.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:30 pm • # 16 

ARReflections wrote:
I was planning on going over to brookville over the weekend until I got hit with the honeydo list. You may also want to try applecreek for trout.

Yes, I have heard about apple creak in Wooster, Ohio. I found a decent blog about it with pictures and information... http://troutfishingwooster.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:34 am • # 17 

jkurtz7 wrote:
I've not been to Hocking Hills so I don't know what real opportunities are there, but I've never heard of any trout there.

Ohio is not a trout State by any means. There is the Mad, which is a spring fed ditch, and also Clear Fork, all others are stocked fisheries with little to no holdover, with one exception, and that is the few native brookie streams up north which you can't fish. All the steelhead fishing is nothing more than put and take.

I realize this is an older thread, but thought I might jump in with some things I know that may be helpful to others who may be doing a search.
There was a time when there were some trout at Hocking Hills, in Clear Creek; browns, and they were stockers, of course, not very big but still fun to catch on a light rig. Though, it's been many years since I was there catching them ( I want to say around 2004 or so). I don't know if they continued to stock after that, and if not, I doubt there would be many holdovers, if any.
The Mad River holds some nice trout, but it's not what most anglers would consider to be easy to traverse.
It's been a few years since I fished the Clear Fork at Mohican; I've done okay there in the past, but it does get a lot of action, and the entire stretch from the dam all the way down through the picnic area downstream from the covered bridge is so crowded with campers, tubers, day trip people having picnics, that it can be difficult to do well; though I have pulled decent sized browns from that stretch in the past. As of Spring 2015, I was getting more action with smallies than I was trout, pulling woolybuggers and other streamers through some of the deeper holes. I have no idea if the Clear Fork Chapter is still doing any trout stocking on the CF.
These days, I find much more success in Western and Central PA, there are streams everywhere that hold some really nice trout; many are stocked but stream conditions on many bodies of water are good enough to support holdovers for several seasons. There are also a lot of little creeks that hold native Brookies. Very light tackle is advised for these, as many of these creeks are small, some no wider than the single lane of a two lane road. Tiny dries or nymphs in the #16-18 range can prove to be really productive.
I'm happy to give the names of a few of these if any of you would like to contact me via email:
donnyair@hotmail.com
:)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:54 am • # 18 

I lived in O. in the early 90s. I never fished the state, but we did hike that beautiful valley at Hocking Hills. We came to a waterfall and I instinctively stripped off all my clothes and stood under it. The rest of my friends left their clothes on and had a rather more uncomfortable hike the rest of the way.

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ] New Topic Add Reply