It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Any pipe smokers?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:31 pm • # 1 

Saw a guy on the Juan last week. He was enjoying a pipe on the river. It got me thinking, I don't have the first clue how to manage a pipe and a rod.

I assume, like all things, practice makes perfect. But it seems like a disaster waiting to happen. I can see it now, waders on fire, fish lost, tangled mess of line.

It sure smelled nice down wind. So, anyone else do this?

Post subject: Re: Any pipe smokers?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:41 pm • # 2 

I do all the time. Have to have a bit that fits well in your teeth though in order to be hands free. I did get some line around it once while double hauling and nearly broke a tooth! Gotta watch that I suppose... :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:09 pm • # 3 

I saw an old gent that had one with a lanyard like you would use with reading glasses. Every so often he would put it to his lips and light it for a few puffs then let it dangle around his neck again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:17 am • # 4 

I smoke one of these similar to #22. Great pipe!
http://www.boswellpipes.com/fishingvestgallery.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:25 pm • # 5 
Administrator

When I'm fishing I usually have a pipe lit. It takes a little coordination but it's not too bad to keep a pipe going. There have been many times that I've hooked and played a fish while lighting - that's pretty interesting to watch I'm sure! One reason I like it is that it helps me to slow down and appreciate the moment.
I've had bowls fall off of a few army style pipes when I haven't made sure that the stem wasn't seated (usually when it's really cold out and the pipe was in my pocket for a while so there's a difference in temp that causes the fit to be a little loose).
I've wanted to pick up one of those Boswell fishing pipes like ablecane has. They seem quite nice and would be convenient.
I use an old Zippo pipe lighter for my fire needs as I never can keep a match lit outdoors. I keep a tamper on a zinger on my pack too otherwise I would have lost too many of those.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:01 pm • # 6 

I smoke more cigars than I smoke pipes, but I have never tried fly fishing with a pipe. If I did I would do it was a cheap corn cob pipe!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:55 pm • # 7 

Ah, the good times.
When I was young, the fishing and hunting magazines got a lot of revenue from advertizing pipes and pipe tobacco. Meetings of the Fly Fishers were always conducted in a dense cloud of Sail or Prince Albert. So it was natural that I smoked a pipe for a few years, onstream and off.

One thing to avoid is the trick of turning your pipe over due to rain. While it makes sense that it would allow you to continue smoking, the truth is that the pipe comes awfully close to one's waders. I heard of a FFer smoking a bulldog pipe who inverted it in the rain and then shook all the hot dottle into his waders while casting. :) Hot times.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:12 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Reed, that sounds terrible!! When the rain starts I just set it aside.
I worked with a carpenter who would turn his pipe sideways when it rained and kept puffing his Captain Black. I saw the dottle dump into his nail apron more than once.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:48 pm • # 9 

I love Boswell pipes. Didn't know they had a fishing vest model. Good to know.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:59 pm • # 10 

Does a crack pipe count :lol ;)

Just kidding :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:16 am • # 11 

I smoke a pipe; its usually between my teeth while I'm fishing; I turn it upside down when its raining; I'm 70 and been smoking way too long(but still continue)-p-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:26 am • # 12 

just dug out the pipes after about 27 years.....might try fishing with in spring... too cold on ice I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:51 am • # 13 

I love smoking my pipe and fly fishing! It's something that I've been practicing for the last 12 years. Some of my best fishing memories are hanging out with friends on the side of the river smoking my pipe, having a beer and recounting the experiences of the day.
I've logged many hours in trying find the right pipe, tobacco, and packing technique.
My best fishing pipes have bent stem slightly smaller bowls with thinner walls.
For tobacco I like English flake because it burns a little slower which lets me give a bot more attention to fishing.
But one of the best part are pipe smoking is finding the best combination for you.
Enjoy the process!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:52 am • # 14 
Administrator

Ken Curtis wrote:
My best fishing pipes have bent stem slightly smaller bowls with thinner walls.
For tobacco I like English flake because it burns a little slower which lets me give a bot more attention to fishing.
But one of the best part are pipe smoking is finding the best combination for you.
Enjoy the process!

Ken, I could have written that... you echo my preferences exactly. I typically smoke one of Gawith's flakes in a smallish bent pipe. It stays out of the way, smokes slow and cool and is less fiddly.
Good stuff! Makes me want to get out and fish just thinking about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:23 am • # 15 

Chris,

You'll have all day tomorrow on the water to leisurely enjoy your "Old Toby" or "Longbottom Leaf". I'll stick to the cigars.

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:33 am • # 16 

Out of a hundred or so pipes, I regularly smoke only three; the Boswell fishing vest pipe and either of two Jake Hackert cobs.
Hands down tobacco choice; Carolina Home; a blend of Golden Cavendish and fire-cured Cavendish. It’s a slow burner with a fine, pleasing aroma.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:08 pm • # 17 

I have smoked hundreds of pipe tobaccos, but Carolina Home is unfamiliar to me. Where do you get it?
I usually prefer tinned English oriental or Virginia flake, but a good aromatic can be delightful on the stream. One of my favorite fishing tobaccos was Virginia Pride from Milan's in Roanoke, but I don't know if it's still available. The last time I was in Milan's, which was several years ago, it was under new ownership, had changed locations, and was a shadow of its former self.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:06 pm • # 18 
Administrator

jgentile wrote:
Chris,

You'll have all day tomorrow on the water to leisurely enjoy your "Old Toby" or "Longbottom Leaf". I'll stick to the cigars.

Joe

Can't wait, Joe!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:49 pm • # 19 

runcible wrote:
I have smoked hundreds of pipe tobaccos, but Carolina Home is unfamiliar to me. Where do you get it?
I usually prefer tinned English oriental or Virginia flake, but a good aromatic can be delightful on the stream. One of my favorite fishing tobaccos was Virginia Pride from Milan's in Roanoke, but I don't know if it's still available. The last time I was in Milan's, which was several years ago, it was under new ownership, had changed locations, and was a shadow of its former self.

Look under the "bulk tobaccos". You'll be glad you did.
http://bbtobacconists.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:03 pm • # 20 

If I had to wheedle my tobacco recommendations down to just two, I'd go with Wessex Brown and McClelland Blue Mountain...and Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe (OK three)

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ] New Topic Add Reply