It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 28 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Cabelas one weight
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:09 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Here's one I like to use on the local creeks. It's a Cabelas one weight matched witha Ross Colorado zero:
The creek
The quary:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:21 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Excellent Les. I always love your picture posts!

Jeremy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:20 pm • # 3 

I love that rod Les. I wish I could track one of those down!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:39 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Doesn't Cabelas still sell those?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:09 pm • # 5 

Nope, they went clearance a few months back for $60, and I waited...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:10 pm • # 6 
Administrator

Very strange, I just visited the site and they're missing from the line -up. Recently they ran the Clear Creek rods on sale for $75.00 which included rod, sock and tube. perhaps this item was placewd on the watch list or they're cahnging the model. Too bad they're great rods for a fair price.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:55 pm • # 7 

Yeah, I went to the store to get one the day after he sold the last 1wt.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:52 pm • # 8 

Yep, I waited to late to get one myself.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:57 pm • # 9 

Sucks, eh CSJ? Nice to have you!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:26 pm • # 10 

I had that rod for about 2 weeks. It was nice for the most part. For whatever reason, which I have no basis for, it wasn't a fit for me. Dunno why, just felt funny.

We have some of them in the store, I will keep my eye out for one. I suppose someone would scoop it up if I were to snag it out at the store.

On the plus side, I caught my first Nebraska Brown trout on it (biggest NE brown to date for me)...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:42 pm • # 11 

Your rod would not be for sale long if you bought it and resold it here. I can guarantee that one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:26 pm • # 12 

flyflingerandy1 wrote:
Your rod would not be for sale long if you bought it and resold it here. I can guarantee that one.

Andy, message sent.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:17 pm • # 13 

Scott...you too...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:08 am • # 14 

Keebranch - I just lucked into a Cabelas clear creek one weight at last night's Club Member special event in Hamburg, PA. They had one on the rack. Got it for 53.70 plus tax. They no longer carry the clear creek 1 wt. line in the store so I thought I'd ask what line you are using on that rod and how it performs.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:32 am • # 15 

That rod is responsive with a DT1F line. Try the Rio Selective Trout II, or an Orvis Wonderline DT1F on it. The Orvis lines can be found on eBay from Adams Outlet for less than $30.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:01 am • # 16 
Administrator

Gzacckey,
Nice buy at 53.70. I tried to convince several of my friends to grab these when they were on sale for $75.00 last year. Now it's really too late.
As for the line, I use the Orvis DT1 and it works just fine. I think traditional WF lines on 3 or less is a crap shoot- control is lost once you get past the belly. DT line just handles better, I can grap the stuff to roll cast or srtip in- that's because it's the same diameter through out until you reach the taper.
Robin, Don, or Gene will tell you to overline it by a weight, and that's OK if you're not a purist. Some windy days will force your hand into playing with some 2DT. One thing is certain: It's best to experiment and try to see what line the rod "likes" .Image
Les

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:38 am • # 17 

Les & Andy

Thanks for the line information.

I spoke to the staff in the fly fishing department and they informed me that the Clear Creek series is going to be replaced with a new line-up from another manufacturer. I tried to get more details but it was a mad house at the event so the only additional information I got was they should be out by January. I'm hoping they go even lighter so I can experiment with 0 or lower weights at a reasonable price.

I had my hands on a Sage TXL 0 at a 25% discount but I just couldn't rationalize it to myself. So I walked out with the Clear Creek 1 wt and a TFO Pro 8' 2wt that was also discounted 25%.

Now all I need is a little bit warmer weather to try out these rods.

Regards,
Gene

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:56 am • # 18 
Administrator

Gene,
Keep us posted on that new line-up. I'd be interested in having need to visit the Sierra trading Post for some bargain "ought" line.;)

Les

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:13 am • # 19 

Recently purchased and fished the Cableas clear creek 5'0 for a 2 weight,I believe I paid $74 on a sale they had on the net. Found the rod to be a medium action little rod, fished it at a local pond with the 2 weight DT initially, but quickly went to a WF3F. It was pretty windy that day and almost impossible to cast that 2 weight line. Caught a few Bluegills and Shellcrackers about palm size, alot of fun on a rod that flexes like that. Also caught 2 LM bass, small, about 4-6 inches, now that was alot of fun with that action on the 5'0 rod. Paul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:56 am • # 20 

Paul - I have that 2 wt. I bought it in '06 or '07. It's a fun little rod. I use a WF2F and WF3 on that rod. Great little gill rod. I used it to teach my oldest grandson how to fly fish. The 3 wt. line loaded easier at shorter distances and it is a lot cheapr line than my 2 wt line. It's not a bad casting rod. It can cast the 2 wt from 30 to 35 feet in minimal cross wind and smaller flies. Of course at 5' it's not really designed for long distances.

I agree it is more of a medium action especially with the 3 wt. line. That made is easier for my grandson to get his timing.

Les, I've been thinking of just buying that ought line just to have for when I finally break down and either build or but a 0/00 wt. I think I'll wait until the big fly fishing show in Somerset, NJ to see what's comning out in '09. I'm hoping someone competes with the TXL series.

Last edited by gzacckey on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 28 posts ] New Topic Add Reply