It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 31 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: Half weight
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:14 pm • # 21 

Oh, and you can carry one of my handcannons if you like, just so you can go home and tell the neighbors you did.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:22 pm • # 22 

Sounds about perfect! I'll call when I get to the airport.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:51 am • # 23 

If this rod needs a 2 weight to load it then how can they call this a half weight? Just more marketing.
I built a 1 weight that actually DOES cast a 1 weight line. And I'm no builder.
You'd think they could build a rod that will load with a half weight if they wanted to.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:00 am • # 24 

My half weight casts awesome with a 1wt Rio quiet taper or something like that, have to look and measure the weight see if it really is a one wt.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:18 pm • # 25 

keiths wrote:
If this rod needs a 2 weight to load it then how can they call this a half weight? Just more marketing.
I built a 1 weight that actually DOES cast a 1 weight line. And I'm no builder.
You'd think they could build a rod that will load with a half weight if they wanted to.

I've wondered the same thing. But I really like the rod just the same......

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:49 pm • # 26 

Well boys and girls, I finally got to break it in today. It was too windy to use it in Rockport the week before Christmas; I used the 7 and 8 until the last day. The wind laid enough to use the 2 wt., but not the half. The white bass run is still too young -- all males, mostly dinks, so we didn't go all the way up to Harmon Creek. A friend and I fished a couple of private ponds near the San Jacinto River and caught bass, bream, crappie, and tilapia. I took the half weight, two weight, and the five weight (one of the ponds is 20' deep), and started out with the half. When the winds picked up I went to the two wt. and realized I had grabbed the wrong case; my two wt. was actually a ten wt........ Oh well, at least it wasn't the twelve wt......

The big fish were dormant. The south pond has tilapia up to six or seven pounds. I got one that was about a pound. I got a 10" crappie and my buddy got a 14". The bass all ran around 10-12 inches, with a couple of four inchers tossed in. All too soon we had to leave. We had fun. The more I use that little BVK reel the more I like it. Between my half weight and Chris' three weight I think we showed those fish a trick or two....... Ready for those white bass now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:19 pm • # 27 

Well, just to keep this thread from dying, I'll update the info on the half weight. I put in for a couple of vacation days last week and hit Harmon Creek. The latest front slowed the fishing, but we caught a mess of small male whites, crappie, LM bass, and a channel cat. All I got (I used the half weight) was some dink whites, up to 13" but mostly smaller. I also used it on a friend's pond (he is now getting into fly fishing; he and his 90 year old dad are getting fly rods for the coast, fly rods for the pond, and a UL fly rod) and zapped a few cookie-cutter 14" crappies. It hasn't taken over the #1 seat from my 2 wt. yet, but it's a close second.

As I get used to the rod I think that I might have been better off with a 1 weight line. I can cast the WF2F okay, but sometimes it feels as though it's overloading the rod. Anyway, I'm definitely enjoying this stick......... I can recommend it with a clear conscience.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:23 pm • # 28 

I started this thread 2 years ago and since that time I have used the Half weight in many places. Some of the guides I use saw it as a great challenge! I challenged one of the best casters I have seen and he threw it 70'. He was chastened!
Anyway, last year I caught a 19" brownie on it in Utah. Funny thing, they say it's unethical to catch a big fish on light tackle since it overly tires them out. I found just the opposite. My opinion is that since there is very little resistance on a small rod that they don't feel the need to fight it. Small runs, but they were pretty easy to net.
But who am I to say what fish think!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:03 pm • # 29 

70 feet with a 5 ft rod, that's more than impressive. Glad you resurrected the post and gave us an update.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:08 pm • # 30 

The thing about rod number is they are just that , numbers . If you don't start getting picky about the numbers and just cast what it casts you'll be a lot happier . Orvis has a rod they call the ounce or one ounce , boys I've weighed the one ounce and it is plus .7 . There you go you heard it here first .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:41 am • # 31 

Hi I just purchased a new one trying to set it up now I love short fly rods I also have a thramer 444 rod is bamboo 4' 4'' 4 weight rod I have a blast with it.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 31 posts ] New Topic Add Reply