It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:20 pm • # 1 

We've had several posts regarding this reel. I had been looking for a cheap light reel to test on a particular fly rod; every since Pearow mentioned this reel in a post I've considered picking one up for my application. This post contains some content that is outside of the UL realm; the material that is outside the UL realm is used to provide a complete explanation of the experience with the reel; I apologize and be assured of my un-wavering enthusiasm and dedication to the ideals of UL Fly Fishing, i.e. size is relative. stealth and etc.

Out of the box the reel foot did not fit my UL rods or even some larger rods; the reel did not even comfortably fit in my native custom uplocking 3wt. After some very easy filing for some 20 minuets (during idle time (i.e. while my computer boots)) the reel foot fit even my CGR 2wt. See picture below of reel foot after re-shaping. Plenty of foot left!

First I fished the reel on my 3wt. During about 4 hours of fishing, the running line slipped through the space between the spool and reel housing 4 times. I returned the line to it's proper position by either removing/replacing the spool or slipping the line back through the space between the spool and reel housing. This misplacement of line occurs when there is slack in the line adjacent to the reel at the end of the cast; this is not a perfect cast but happens frequently in my casting if there is wind.
I also fished the two weight and had the same infrequent misplacement of line. I have a few pictures of the 2wt with reel mounted and fish:

I also fished a 5/6 weight with this reel. I specifically wanted this light, cheap reel to better balance the CGR 5/6 wt which has a counter weight attached. Without the counter weight and a light reel the rod is too heavy for me to fish very long. With the counter balance and a light reel I can fish for 4 hours (at least) daily.

Paying credit, I got the idea of mounting the counter weight from mbarker68, though mbarker68 would have implemented a more elegant counter weight as the post's of his work suggest. Here are some pictures of the reel on the 5/6 weight:

The line would not misplace as described above with 4 wt line and above. However the line can be forced through the space between the spool and body. The pictures below demonstrate that the thicker line will cause the spool to flex with pressure but that the spool's memory return the spool to it's proper shape:

For my limited purpose, the reel is useful. I would use the reel like a click and pawl. When the drag is set to minimum, the reel offers just enough pressure to prevent spool overruns while casting. One of my complaints of my other fly reels with drags: at minimum drag setting one has to adjust them to prevent overuns; I am annoyed by this.

I can use the Cahill reel on my CGR 2wt as the reel balances it better than the Cabelas' Prestige ll.
The reel does not balance my other rods, except for the counter balanced 5/6 wt, as well as the
reels presently assigned to the rods.

BTW, I have about approximately 75 yds of backing on the Cahill reel.
Below are some pros and cons.

Using the Cahill reel as a click and pawl does not guaranteed a large fish will not break the reel: I hooked a large, very very large, carp that broke a click and pawl reel after an hour of constant give and take of line. Hope the opportunity to test the Cahill reel under the same conditions presents itself.

I fish blocks away from my house so I am not interrupted very long if I need to replace a reel.

I started these trials using the Cahill reel with old 3wt line (knew I was keeping that line for a reason) and only went to good line as I gained some confidence in the reel. A reel that potentially damages fly line is risky to use. My demonstrations show that the line misplacment's did not damage the line, but this was under ideal conditions; what if a large fish exploded on the fly as it hit the water and coincidently the line became misplaced, is damage possible?

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:04 pm • # 2 

I had a reel take out a chunk of fly line doing what your talking about. With lines costing fifty plus dollars not worth getting them damaged trying to save a few bucks on a reel.

Barry

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:43 am • # 3 

Me also. I had a line ruined due to my ignorance(forgot to lock spool down) and because the line got between the spool and the body of a cortland cassette reel. You need to be mindful of the hazards of fishing with anything made in China or any 3rd world country. They generally don't have the quality control we have in the USA. I think the cortland cassette reel was made in Argentina.-p-

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:28 pm • # 4 

The Cortland Cassettes were made by STH and I've had good many and seem to be pretty good quality. I've had a bunch and have performed flawlessly, but sometimes we all have operator error. Just sucks when chunk of fly line gets torn out.

Barry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:14 am • # 5 

yeah, I have 4 or 5 of the cassette reels, both 5th and cortland; love em! Operator error is usually the culprit, but in our anger we all want to blame others!-p-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:51 am • # 6 

Pearow, you are right on with the operator error. The misplaced line occurs on an errand cast.
Since I walk and cast, I loop the line in my hand not holding the fly rod; on the cast stroke i release the line and if the line doesn't all run through the guides the slack line potentially can slip through the mating of the spool and body of the reel (provided the line has less thickness than my 4wt line). That is definitely an errand cast.

One way to mitigate the errand cast would be to use a basket and another way would be to allow the line to fall at my feet.
Another way to prevent this errand cast is to follow a technique I saw on You Tube: this involved winding the line around the hand rather than looping the line.

Btw, anyone know why the photos of the reel disappeared above? I deleted some pictures from photobucket but that can't be the problem since the picutures are
copied in, not linked.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:34 pm • # 7 

Happens when ever you delete or move the pictures from photobucket. It removes the link or changes it if you move them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:24 pm • # 8 

Thanks for the explanation mbarker68.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:09 am • # 9 

Wanted to make a finale post on the Cahill Crystal River fly reel since I now own 5 and have fished them for some months.
I must have deleted many of the pictures out of photo bucket so I'll summarize. The reel is very inexpensive at less than $15,
I think very well made although I do not use the drag and fish it like a click and pawl.

Here's the point of this post, I reported an issue with the line on rare occasions slipping through the space between the spool
and housing and I was concerned about possible damage to the line. I've been employing the reels in fishing various experimental
lines and none of the l ines representing an investment in money.

What I have noted is that the spool of the reel has sufficient flexibility to allow the line to slip though the housing without damage; the spools
show no wrapping from flexing. These experiences have quelled my fears of damaging fly line.

I did have an event of having the fly line slip through the space between the housing and spool and then hooking a nice bass on the same cast.
This happened under the circumstances of fishing at night, high winds and very cold with a Texas Northerner sweeping in; control of
the line was difficult and these circumstances presented an opprotunity for fouling the fly line.

The bass went on a run and I let the slack slip though my fingers applying pressure. When the bass had taken all the slack
I then noted that the line had slipped. Fortunately, it was a simple task to quickly remove and replace the spool correcting
the placement of the line. The bass was landed and released.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply