All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:57 am • # 1 

Anyone use just a leader, no fly line?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:50 am • # 2 

BCoggins wrote:

Sounds like a Tenkara question?
How do you get your fly out unless you have a fly line the weight of which takes the fly out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:18 am • # 3 
Administrator

Umm, great question!
I wouldn't necessarily consider this to be exclusive to the Tenkara realm since some folks using Tenkara rods (see TFO and Patagonia) use very light plastic fly lines. To me the question address a mind set share by high sticking fly fisherman as well as those using Euro- Nymphing techniques. Using mono not only is effective against windy conditions but provides a more stealthy presentation around spooky fish. My wife for one, loves to do this using the Spanish Technique of 30 feet of monofilament backed by floating line, and a few years back while fishing the Conejos River with guide Spencer Siem, she had caught some amazingly large trout using this multi rigged approach.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:41 pm • # 4 

I have been a tenkara user since the start in 09, have two rods, until I did some searching after I read: https://troutbitten.com/2016/01/13/tigh ... nymph-rig/. I noticed that most of the top fly fishermen fish this way.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:05 pm • # 5 

We use only mono fishing french nynph ;) something about ten meters of a leader before the strike indicator, no fly line that is used as a backing. It is useful if you're using weighted nynph of course. ciao

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:02 pm • # 6 

Just a clarification about tenkara. While fly line is generally not used, tenkara does use flourocarbon level line or furled leaders. Both have enough mass to cast a fly and are more substantial than mono.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:19 pm • # 7 

I have used mono with a very short sinking head of about 10ft with a 10ft rod.
Also test cast some RIO Versileaders (12ft head) with mono running line on 0wt and 1wt rods.

A mono tapered leader will cast easily on a 2wt or 3wt soft action rod.

Regards,
FK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:41 am • # 8 

Mono only works, but I would really recommend checking out the new Sunray micro lines if you are using a 2 weight rod. You can find them here:
https://sunrayflyfish.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:24 am • # 9 

Spanish & French nymphing aren't really fly fishing, it's more or less bait fishing with fake bait. No casting is required and with the typical 3 fly set up, at least half the fish are foul hooked.

tt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:05 pm • # 10 

I started thinking about this idea on sunday. I looked up the weights of fly line and learned something interesting:

1 wgt = 60 grains/5 fathoms, or 3.9 grams
50 lb test mono weighs 4.2 g/5 fathoms
40 lb is at 3.1 g

So.....that makes you think about possibilities...

And if you go higher, 100 lb test is 8.5 g/5 fathoms....which is a 5 weight.

The heavy mono certainly is stiff. And level or you would need to join and the knots would bump guides during casting. But in lighter weights is it at all reasonable to experiment with? Has anybody done this--even just for fun?

It sounds like the bottom fishing is basically this idea, but I'm interested in how well it casts.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:31 pm • # 11 

I nymph with an all-mono setup, it is very effective. One fly, no foul hooking.

If a hatch goes off while I'm nymphing, I just tie a dry fly on and sling that around.

I also use it about 50% of the time when I fish for carp in the LA River. It really helps to get the perfect drifts that those spooky Golden Bones demand.

My longest casts are probably around 30' (10' rod + 20' "cast").

Andy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:14 pm • # 12 

I use only mono when I'm using minnows on my 3-wt with an ultralight spinning reel. :lol :lol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:11 am • # 13 

I've probably caught more fish in tight with just a foot of flyline past the tiptop and rod held high to keep as little of my leader on the water as possible. Its the best way to achieve a drag free drift with dry, wet, nymph or dry/dropper. The less flyline you have out the better and only do so as you work progressively away into lies unwadable. Standard western North Carolina stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:35 pm • # 14 

Just saw the thread. Used only tenkara rods on local Colorado rivers and creeks between 2010 and 2016, and tried many flies and lines, and became settled on little nymphs and 10# mono line. Finally tired of breakoffs on large fish, and medium fish in fast water, in 2016 I began using an 8' 4wt rod with reel - and the same nymphs and line as with the tenkara rods. Casting is not normal fly style, but requires wrist flick. However the #16 tung bead head nymphs go out (30' if I want) and the line is pretty easy to hold off the water even with that short of rod. I have a related post: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=11960.

It's short rod long leader fishing and VERY effective despite the handicap of the short rod. Why short rod? I like short and light. At least as of this, https://oneflyfisherman.com/light-weight-fly-fishing/, Rim Chung of RS2 fame also liked short rods with nymphs and no indicator.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:26 am • # 15 

I'm with twisted tippet on this one.

To each thier own but if l wanted to just fish mono l would build an ultra light spinning rod and cast those cool little CD1 rapalas and the like.

I've been wanting to do that for some time as l do seem to collect those wee lures.

I like casting a fly line and also like short rods. The lighter the better. Gettin old l guess.

Michael

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:49 am • # 16 

linecaster wrote:
BCoggins wrote:

Sounds like a Tenkara question?
How do you get your fly out unless you have a fly line the weight of which takes the fly out.

I personally haven't used this technique in years, although having dabbled in it in the past. Of course it's nothing new, and it has been used in the upper Great Lakes region at least since the late 1970s, when it first involved using monofilament as the running line, as did early shooting head rigs. Check this out: http://globalflyfisher.com/fish-better/chuck-n-duck

That said, in the not so distant future, I may try the technique again in a very different situation.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:58 am • # 17 

I have a euro nymph rod coming in the mail, going to give the long mono thing a try - but its going to be a 30 or 40' flourocarbon leader attached to my standard WF trout line.

I have (rather my 6 year old has) a tenkara rod that I occasionally fish with. Level flouro works well but I found that a 12' Airflo polyleader casts better for both me and the kiddo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:29 pm • # 18 

mmckenzie wrote:
I have a euro nymph rod coming in the mail, going to give the long mono thing a try - but its going to be a 30 or 40' flourocarbon leader attached to my standard WF trout line.

I have (rather my 6 year old has) a tenkara rod that I occasionally fish with. Level flouro works well but I found that a 12' Airflo polyleader casts better for both me and the kiddo.

I tie up my euro nymphing leaders with an extra 10+’ of butt section, so I can use it on reels already spooled with conventional fly line. While casting, only leader is off the reel. Avoids the sag and drag of having heavy fly line in the guides and saves money by negating the use of nymphing specific fly lines (a product that makes no sense to me).

To each his own, but don’t you find the polyleaders creating more drag/sag than level line? Also, kudos to your 6 year old. A kid that young who doesn’t break a tenkara rod is something special.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:30 pm • # 19 

mmckenzie wrote:

I tie up my euro nymphing leaders with an extra 10+’ of butt section, so I can use it on reels already spooled with conventional fly line. While casting, only leader is off the reel. Avoids the sag and drag of having heavy fly line in the guides and saves money by negating the use of nymphing specific fly lines (a product that makes no sense to me).

To each his own, but don’t you find the polyleaders creating more drag/sag than level line? Also, kudos to your 6 year old. A kid that young who doesn’t break a tenkara rod is something special.

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ] New Topic Add Reply