It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 32 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:44 pm • # 1 

I finally got my 1 wt from the builder and now am looking for a reel. I have some preferences and am having trouble sorting out all the features I want looking at reels online. Since there is no fly shop within 2 hours drive (and it is a Bass Pro Shop), I thought I might ask for some guidance. The reel I am looking for should be:

Inexpensive – living on retirement from the military does not allow for large expenditures on hobby gear. I was lucky to find a rod builder who wanted to trade the rod building supplies left to me when my brother passed to get two rods built, a 2 wt and the 1 wt.

Light – the rod is a 7’ - 3 piece - 1wt (unmarked blank so I don’t know who made it) but weighs just a shade under 3 ounces. A nylon (plastic) reel is acceptable.

Does not click – I have never gotten use to a reel that clicks, either in or out line.

What I would like is some suggestions of makers and models so I can search for something online.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:36 pm • # 2 

Clint, before I could personally suggest a couple reels I feel I should tell you that a reel your looking for, that doesn't click or make a sound, inexpensive, is going to be next to impossible. The only reels that don't make a "click", or much of a sound, are disc drag reels. And 1, they're typically more expensive....at least the quality built ones. And 2, in my personal opinion disc drag reels don't ever belong on UL rods...... The unfortunate trade off with a disc drag reel, although the drag can make things easier, are they weigh a great deal more.
You can't afford any added unnecessary weight on such a small rod as a 1wt. Your best bet is a Click & Pawl reel. The Orvis Battenkill is a beautiful outstanding choice that comes in around $99.00. Another good choice would be the Redington Zero.....although the Redington Zero won't be anywhere near as durable and reliable as the Orvis Battenkill. Good luck, hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:39 pm • # 3 

JustinAldrich wrote:
Clint, before I could personally suggest a couple reels I feel I should tell you that a reel your looking for, that doesn't click or make a sound, inexpensive, is going to be next to impossible. The only reels that don't make a "click", or much of a sound, are disc drag reels. And 1, they're typically more expensive....at least the quality built ones. And 2, in my personal opinion disc drag reels don't ever belong on UL rods...... The unfortunate trade off with a disc drag reel, although the drag can make things easier, are they weigh a great deal more. You can't afford any added unnecessary weight on such a small rod as a 1wt.

I am not sure why you say <snip> "disc drag reels don't ever belong on UL rods....." I have a Cortland Embassy 40 on my 2wt, and while it is not perfectly silent it does an excellent job. I have hooked bass while bluegill fishing and the reel held its own. If I could find another one my search would be over. I also have a couple of STH IM Cassette #1 reels that work well but as you noted they are heavier than I care for. They never made a #0 unfortunately. I will spool my DT1wt line on one of the cassettes I have and use it until I can find something more appropriate.

JustinAldrich wrote:
Your best bet is a Click & Pawl reel. The Orvis Battenkill is a beautiful outstanding choice that comes in around $99.00. Another good choice would be the Redington Zero.....although the Redington Zero won't be anywhere near as durable and reliable as the Orvis Battenkill. Good luck, hope this helps.

If all I had to chose from was Click & Pawl reels, I would use my STH as I said. I fish with a fellow who uses C&P reels and I can hear him 100 yards away on a quiet stream or a backwoods pond.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:40 pm • # 4 

Those Chinese reels make no noise on retrieve, and are very inexpensive. They do click when line is being pulled out. I'll pm you links.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:32 pm • # 5 

Your fishing, not Deer/Turkey/bear/ect hunting. But it's your preference on choice of reel. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:38 pm • # 6 

Absolutely no reason to not use a disc drag reel on an ultra lite. These are of my 0 and 1 wts, and fully loaded with line only come in at 3.9oz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:45 pm • # 7 

Those look great. Do you remember the brand and/or where you got them?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:49 pm • # 8 

Let me simplify this.....first, I'm not arguing your personal preference. It's definitely up to you. But let me ask, what exactly are you seriously catching on a 0wt and 1wt that you would NEED a disc/dial drag SYSTEM on a reel for? Seriously? I'd rather not here, "Oh I'm catching 5lb, 10lb, Bass/Trout on my 1wt...." Because let's face it were not children and we won't buy it. Lolol. Most ALL Ultra Light fly fishing fish are caught on the hand anyway.....the fight never even makes it to the reel. Disc drag systems were made for powerful big running fish.....so.....I'm just confused on the whole "discussion" on ultra light reels that have those drag systems. It boggles me that people need that kind of a safety net for Ultra light fishing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:06 pm • # 9 

I guess you should just listen to Justin, he appears to be Mr I know it all.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:07 pm • # 10 

.......let me add, you mentioned a certain disc drag reel coming in at 3.9oz......the Orvis Battenkill 1 that costs $99.99, comes in at a whopping 2.8 oz....so, the disc drag adds over an ounce of weight. Which might not sound like a lot in terms of this or that. But in UL terms, it's a big difference.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:10 pm • # 11 

Thanks SWCR, definitely not the worst thing in the world.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:13 pm • # 12 

JustinAldrich wrote:
Let me simplify this.....first, I'm not arguing your personal preference. It's definitely up to you. But let me ask, what exactly are you seriously catching on a 0wt and 1wt that you would NEED a disc/dial drag SYSTEM on a reel for? Seriously? I'd rather not here, "Oh I'm catching 5lb, 10lb, Bass/Trout on my 1wt...." Because let's face it were not children and we won't buy it. Lolol. Most ALL Ultra Light fly fishing fish are caught on the hand anyway.....the fight never even makes it to the reel. Disc drag systems were made for powerful big running fish.....so.....I'm just confused on the whole "discussion" on ultra light reels that have those drag systems. It boggles me that people need that kind of a safety net for Ultra light fishing.

I don't need any drag at all other than to keep the line from rolling off the reel. I plan to use my UL rods on bluegill, sunfish and the occasional trout from the one stocked stream close enough to me to make the 1 hour trip worthwhile. I might even go to the Smokies and try my hand at the brookies.

I am curious why you immediately got argumentative about what and why I asked about. Others just offered their opinions. In fact one sent a PM with a link which I followed and while I did not purchase the reel suggested I did find one that is suitable for $6.48 delivered. So much for your "disc drag reels are expensive" opinion.

Do not be misled by the "Newbie" rating under my name. I have been fly fishing and tying my own flies since I started in New England in the mid '70s.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:21 pm • # 13 

Wow, $6.48. Enough said for me to understand where your coming from. Glad you found a reel that's suitable for the price of a pack of socks. I juh st hooe you dont drop it or get sand in it. For a price that cheap, I imagine thats all it'll take to destroy it. Makes no difference to me how long you've been fishing and tying. I've been tying for only 3 years and I'm a regular demonstration Tier at Cabelas, Somerset, and most Fly shops in the South East. I've tied along side K.G., Dave Whitlock and his wife, and so on. That doesn't mean anything either as far as I'm concerned. I got argumentative after I offered a PERSONAL opinion or preference and you got snippy about drag systems..... I stated clear as a bell it was my personal opinion. Could of been left at that. Enjoy your fishing and I hooe many more years fun filled years to come for you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:22 pm • # 14 

Wow, $6.48. Enough said for me to understand where your coming from. Glad you found a reel that's suitable for the price of a pack of socks. I just hope you dont drop it or get sand in it. For a price that cheap, I imagine thats all it'll take to destroy it. Makes no difference to me how long you've been fishing and tying. I've been tying for only 3 years and I'm a regular demonstration Tier at Cabelas, Somerset, and most Fly shops in the South East. I've tied along side K.G., Dave Whitlock and his wife, and so on. That doesn't mean anything either as far as I'm concerned. I got argumentative after I offered a PERSONAL opinion or preference and you got snippy about drag systems..... I stated clear as a bell it was my personal opinion. Could of been left at that. Enjoy your fishing and I hooe many more years fun filled years to come for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:25 am • # 15 

6.48?? PM the link, would ya?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:48 am • # 16 

Done - and it is actually $6.46 shipping included.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:21 pm • # 17 

Had I read this earlier, and had you not already purchased a reel, I would have shipped you this little blue reel - model ya-53, made in china. It is machined aluminum, has a drag (which I agree with others, a drag is absolutely not necessary on a UL fly rod). But, it is fairly light (not as light as the small battenkill OR the drift 2/3), makes no click sounds to scare the fish and wake up neighbors, and is blue. Oh, and for what it's worth, it is pretty much built like a tank. Silky smooth drag with no start-up inertia? Nope. Good enough for small streams, 'gills, and the occasional 16 inch bass or trout? Heck yeah.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:04 pm • # 18 

Checked the mail box on the way home from church and lo and behold an envelope from China. My $6.46 reel has arrived. It is adequate but a bit bigger than I had figured. It has a selectable click and a selectable anti-reverse. It does not have a disc drag or any drag other than the click. I will probably wind my 2wt line on it and use my Cortland Embassy 40 on the 1wt.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:24 pm • # 19 

Hey Clint, I enjoy using the older stuff for various reasons. If the reel will hold the line then I'm good with it. The Bass pro unit is a good little reel and comes in about $100 for the UL Classic White River. I have several such as the small Hendrix. How about a Phleuger Trump or Progress. Look around on Ebay and you might be surprised. Justin, your comment on people not catching 5 lb trout on the UL rods? well I hope your life is more fulfilling in the future than it sounds like its been in the past. I must admit after doing so with a 1 wt I've graduated to a 00 wt......I've caught channel cat that large, but flipping a rod for 53 years, since I was 12, ive got what you might call....stories. Go for it Clint. Ha, I've even been known to use bait on a fly rod.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:49 pm • # 20 

Not looking to go toe to toe with anyone here, but I hate to see people mislead. I use a two weight outfit and a half weight outfit routinely in salt water, and I catch reds and specks, as well as flounder, black drum, sheepshead, and various other species that occasionally eat my flies. While I use a clicker on the half weight, the two weight wears an Orvis Hydros I, which has a disc drag. I have been into the backing many times with that rig. To my knowledge, I have never killed a fish with either of these rigs (other than the occasional speck that goes back to the RV with me for dinner), and I have never been spooled (I'm sure that'll happen eventually). The point is, we all enjoy a different set of parameters for our enjoyment, and as long as we are angling ethically, it's all good. If you want to use a reel with a disc drag on your UL rig, you should do so. You just might end up expanding your horizons. You can certainly land an upper-slot red on a 2 wt. with a clicker and a 4 lb. tippet, but a good drag will make it a whole lot easier.

Most of us fish for enjoyment, and as we mature we learn that it's more important to satisfy oneself than to impress others. I fly fish 99.9% of the time, and I go ultralight whenever the conditions permit. Some of my best fishing buddies have never picked up a fly rod, and probably never will. But they all enjoy themselves just as much as I do, and we don't judge each others' choices of angling methods or results; it's all about having fun. On a recent trip to the coast I tolerated three days of 30+ mph winds, with the fish wadded up in shallow grass in 2' or less water on the banks. Mighty tough for a fluff chucker. The fourth day I got out a couple of Curados (on appropriate rods) that live in the RV and borrowed a couple of hooks and Bass Assassins from one of my buds. I caught a mess of reds and several specks that day. Vindicated, I went back to the fly rods for the rest of the trip, and eventually caught my share of fish once the winds laid down a bit. My bud understands that I derive much more enjoyment from catching my fish on flies, and while we kid each other about our methods, or who caught what, it's all in good fun and in the spirit of brotherhood. We have fished together when he caught all of the fish, and when I caught all of the fish. Never has either of us has ever criticized the other's choice of tackle or methods; it's all about doing what you want to do the way you want to do it. As long as it's legal; as long as it's ethical; as long as it's sportsmanlike; no one else should be dictating how or why or with what tackle you enjoy yourself. Just have fun!!!!

As a youngster I was somewhat of a dry fly snob. I didn't know any better, and all of my experience was in fresh water. People who fished streamers, wets, and nymphs were low-rent thugs. Then in the early sixties I moved to south Florida and discovered salt water. Suddenly, dry flies were a seldom-used tool for bream and bass on those very rare fresh water trips; I was catching tarpon, bonefish, (I'd put permit in here, but I still haven't caught one on a fly), mackerel, jacks, specks, 'cudas, dolphin, bonito, snappers, grouper, (I tried hard for billfish, but never made the grade), and a host of other inshore and offshore species on flies. Pretty much all on streamers or shrimp patterns. Not dries. Had I taken the 'dry fly snob' limitation seriously, I'd have deprived myself of an awful lot of fun.

In the late sixties I went off to war, and got away from fishing for a long time....... When I came back and got my head back together, I realized that what I enjoy is more important than how someone else thinks I should enjoy it.

There's no reason not to think outside the box, and expand one's parameters beyond conventional 'wisdom'. Experience has overwhelmingly proved that ultralight tackle can be used to catch more than tiny fish on tiny waters, without harming the fish. If you want to use a reel with a drag on a UL rod, go for it! You aren't alone. Just have fun!

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 32 posts ] New Topic Add Reply