It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:07 am • # 1 

I really like my Battenkill I (click/pawl) reel. Wondering if anyone has that and the Cortland Retro and can offer a comparison?

Also, fwiw, Cabela's Prestige Plus (disc drag) is on sale online for $29.99 right now. The 1 is 3" diamater, 4.75 oz.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:34 am • # 2 

I have a cortland Retro on my RDP 2wt. It's my loaner rod, and the reel was gifted to me by a forum member to put to go do use. It fishes great and I have had nothing but great results from the reel. The only bad thing I can say about it S the small arbor size. Once I get down close to the backing I do have some line coil issues. I have a full WF3F line and as much backing as it will hold. But being on a 2 wt, I hardly ever have that much line out to be an issue. I'm up in Killeen, and would gladly let you try it out for your comparison. I work third shift 6 days on 3 days off. If you interested just shoot me a PM and I can come down if our days off ever match up. I have fished the San Gabriel in the park by the high school some, but would love to try out some of the areas you have posted.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:23 am • # 3 

Oh, I also should mention that I am willing to Branch out ... Recently spent a couple.of hours on Google maps looking for access points and decent pools on Salado Creek, the Lampasas, Llano, Big Sandy Creek, etc.

Aaron

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:25 pm • # 4 

I haven't owned one of the current design Battenkills, but the Cortland Retro (and a re-badged twin that LL Bean offered a couple of years ago) and the current Battenkill appear to be of similar design and quality, both being simple, light barstock-milled reels with step-adjust click/pawl drags. I'd pick whichever one is available in your preferred size/weight and price. Since the Battenkill is current production and has Orvis to back it up, that might be a strong point in its favor, but I wouldn't turn down a Retro at a killer price either.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply