It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:50 am • # 1 

Hi Guys,

I just recently found this forum and it is very interesting. I have had a small ultra cheap 3wt kit rod from Bass pro for some time that I used to use to chase trout in NE Iowa.

I recently decided that I wanted to pick up fly fishing again to target sun fish and maybe bass at my local lake. The line is pretty shot on my old 3wt and I decided a new rod might be a better investment. The sales guy talked me into a 5 wt but it took all of about 10 minutes to decide that was not the right rod and that I wanted something much lighter and a bit shorter.

I am sure I want nothing bigger than a 3wt but was debating on going lighter. What are your thoughts on best wt / length rod for this? My budget will likely max out at $300 for rod, reel, and line although keeping it closer to $200 would be nice if possible.

Post subject: Re: Suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:58 am • # 2 

I do see a Cabelas CGR 2wt 6'3 on sale for $90 and in stock locally. I have seen good reviews of CGR in other posts, if this would be a good choice what would be a good weight and brand of line to try?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:00 pm • # 3 

The Cabelas Three Forks 3 weights are also very nice they sell nice combos too. I have the TFO 2 Weight Professional and really enjoying it. If you like something shorter and softer the CGR is your rod. I have the 2 weight which is pure fun.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:29 pm • # 4 

I have a wide range of rods (and reels) from 1 wt to 8 wt, and probably half a dozen in 1-3. I recently picked up a TFO Lefty Kreh Signature Series 6' 2 wt. that I absolutely love. It's $124.95 on Amazon. I paired it with an Orvis Battenill I clicker reel that I also like a whole lot. 2.8 oz and $95 and probably nearly indestructible. You're at $214.95 now.

I'll happily send you (pm me) some Chinese WF2F that comes in right at 82 grains. Cost me about $6 and fishes great. Mileage may vary, and I have other rods (including fiberglass) I like a lot, but that's the combo I pick up most often.

I will tell you, too, that I think you are on the right track. Ultralight gear has completely resurrected and taken to an entirely new level my love of fly fishing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:53 pm • # 5 

TXH2Oman wrote:
I have a wide range of rods (and reels) from 1 wt to 8 wt, and probably half a dozen in 1-3. I recently picked up a TFO Lefty Kreh Signature Series 6' 2 wt. that I absolutely love. It's $124.95 on Amazon. I paired it with an Orvis Battenill I clicker reel that I also like a whole lot. 2.8 oz and $95 and probably nearly indestructible. You're at $214.95 now.

I'll happily send you (pm me) some Chinese WF2F that comes in right at 82 grains. Cost me about $6 and fishes great. Mileage may vary, and I have other rods (including fiberglass) I like a lot, but that's the combo I pick up most often.

I will tell you, too, that I think you are on the right track. Ultralight gear has completely resurrected and taken to an entirely new level my love of fly fishing.

I went into the fly shop today (before seeing this post) and actually looked at that exact rod along with the slightly longer finesse. I really liked that set up. I have not looked at that specific reel, I might try to see if I can find it locally to have a look.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:06 pm • # 6 

I've never fished a finesse, but I've heard good things. I have had occasion to use TFO's warranty a time or two (my fault, not theirs). Service is as-advertised and top-notch.

I might like my 2 wt better if it was a foot longer. Maybe. Hard to say.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:40 pm • # 7 

I have quite a few 3 weights, and recently decided to try down sizing. I started with a Redington Butter Stick, a 6'2" 2 weight. I really liked the rod, but while casting it with a friend, he pulled out a new CGR in the same length and weight. I really didn't expect the CGR to stack up very well against the Butter Stick, but I was greatly surprised by the way the CGR cast. I was fortunate enough to get one of the last of the old series priced at under $42.00 about three weeks ago. When I paired it with a WF2 Barrio Small Stream line, I had a great day on the water, catching sunfish and a couple of nice spotted bass, one 12" and one 14". Had no problem handling the bass with that rod. So I now have two 2 weights, one which cost almost five times the other, and I'm not really sure which one I prefer fishing with. Also in the interest of saving money, I would greatly recommend the Barrio Small Stream line. Barrio is a Scottish company, and he designs some really great lines at a great price. With the British Pound to dollar conversion, the cost is about $34.00 for a very high quality line. Shipping is free and it takes about a week to 10 days at the most to get the line.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:43 pm • # 8 

Is anyone familiar with the echo carbon 2wt, or the Redington hydrogen, seem to be some local options. Now line is another story...

I have an old white river fly shop ultra light reel, I assume I can use that on any 2 wt I get?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:32 pm • # 9 

The Echo Carbon 2 wt did very well in the 2 WT shootout stickied here. There are a couple of threads discussing it. And the White River reel, too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:25 pm • # 10 

I have an Echo Carbon 2wt.,and without a doubt it is the first 2wt that I go to. It is a rocket in a smooth effortless way. Great feel with a fish-on. I do like the Cabelas CGR 2wt, it being a close second.

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply