It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: New model Fenwicks
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:38 am • # 1 
Administrator

Anyone have a new production (2015 or newer) Fenwick? I'm not interested in the Fenglass series at all, just the HMG, and Aetos series.

Post subject: Re: New model Fenwicks
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:24 pm • # 2 

I recently bought a Fenwick Aetos based on how well it did, for the price, in the 5 weight shootout by Yellowstone Angler. Very happy with it.

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2016-5-weight-shootout-fly-rod-review-5weightflyrodcomparison-new-fly-rods-best-all-around-fly-rod-g-loomisnrxlp-scott-radian-orvis-helios2-hardyzephrus-hardy-wraith-sagemod-sage-bolt-loop-optistream

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:21 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Knotty, I've read the shoot out and the Aetos comes in smack dab in the middle but, considering its price point it did do better than other rods costing more.

For those who don't already know Fenwick is now owned by Pure Fishing, which also owns Hardy and Greys. They decided to pull greys from the US market and make it a UK only brand from what I understand. Fenwick fly rods are essentially Greys for the US market now.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:46 pm • # 4 

Interesting thing about the Aetos is that it's sub $200 yet beat out rods in excess of $500. Plus, it's marketed to be sold through box stores and generally won't be found in fly shops. I got mine online and actually had a hard time finding one. Grab one before Fenwick raises the price.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:06 pm • # 5 
Administrator

Some fly shops are carrying the Fenwicks. Dettes Flies in the Catskills, and Trident upon Maine do have them. I just wish the HMG and Aetos came in a 9' 4 wt.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:49 pm • # 6 

Don't know why I missed this originally but according to Yellowstone Angler, the Aetos used to be the Greys XF2. What's funny is I had tried in vain to find an XF2 after forum members had recommended it only to end with the rod but under a new name and not know it.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:52 am • # 7 
Administrator

Yeah I saw that too on the shootout page, and read it somewhere else as well, but don't recall where.

The Fenwick rods are on my radar.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:01 pm • # 8 

Knotty wrote:
Don't know why I missed this originally but according to Yellowstone Angler, the Aetos used to be the Greys XF2. What's funny is I had tried in vain to find an XF2 after forum members had recommended it only to end with the rod but under a new name and not know it.

That's where you say," I love it when a plan comes together."

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:49 pm • # 9 
Administrator

After looking at both the Fenwick and Grey's sites, it would seem this comparison might be accurate enough.

Fenwick Eagle = Grey's GR10

Fenwick HMG = Grey's GR30

Fenwick Aetos = Grey's GR50

Fenwick World Class = GR70 Streamflex

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:36 am • # 10 

Sorry I missed this thread when first posted. Been kind of hit and miss on the interwebs these days. Anyway, I bought an HMG 6wt over the winter, and finally got a chance to use it mid-may and a couple times since. I must confess to not being a rod connoisseur or expert, but I have flyfished for a few decades, and know when a rod performs well based on my flawed technique. Anyway, its a four piece 9' that I payed less than $200 Canadian for (through Cabelas), and it is the nicest performing rod I have in my quiver. I asked a friend to cast it because when you've paid money for something, there is a mild placebo effect. He was sitting on a rock and with two false casts, threw about 70' out just as pretty as you please. He, too, was impressed.
I've caught a few trout under 14" with it, and a few smallies up to 18" so far, but I missed out on a real test for it: while fishing for searun brookies on the Miramichi, I hooked into an Atlantic salmon (grilse) but he got off on the first jump. Would loved to have brought him to hand on that rod.
brent

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:54 am • # 11 
Administrator

Brent, thanks for the reply. I can't try any of the Fenwick fly rodsmyself as there isn't a retailer around me that sells them. I have cast a Grey's rod and liked it.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:55 am • # 12 

Although I´m not a big fan of Pure Fishing, I really like the Greys Gr50 rods - which should be the Aetos but with single leg guides. The 8' #4 is one of my favourite rods. The 3 weights are nice too, the 5 and 6 weights felt mediocre, but still a steal for the money...

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply