It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: looking at 2wts.
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:51 pm • # 1 

Hello friends, I know it's ultimately up to me, but I would like your intelligent opinions on something. I am a big fan of the Redington Classic Trout Series, and I really wouldn't mind a 2wt rod. I do enjoy the way the CT feels. But there seems to be a good following of the TFO Finesse series here. I have fished with the Pro II Series and the Signature Series and I like them both, but they were not U.L. rods. TFO has some seriously good rods for the money.

Since I am very familiar with the CT, can you all enlighten me on what makes the TFO Finesse so good? I do believe the Finesse is a softer rod, but that's all I know.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: looking at 2wts.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:27 am • # 2 

I own the Finesse 2 wt. Only caution is that if you push the rod at all the cast collapses. I have two other ultra rods but in 3 wts both Echos (carbon and shadow II). I have considered getting a Carbon in a 2 wt, but this seems a bit too redundant and the differences really don't justify having two.

I like my Finesse and don't regret purchase, you just have to get used to the action. I still love this rod for small mountain streams.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:45 am • # 3 

Thanks for the reply. I take it the Finesse is a lot like my glass & bamboo rods where I have to let the rod do the work. I can do that. I like a sport where I can be the lazy one & let the rod work for me, lol.

It's the small creeks here in the Rockies I want the 2wt for. They're filled with 8 to 10 inch Brooke and cutthroat. I figure that a 2wt would be a blast to use.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:45 pm • # 4 

I don't have either rod in a 2wt but I have a CT 7'6" 3wt and a 1wt Finesse that I built. I love both of them. I got the Finesse for the exact thing you did and I was at home with it right away. I'm using an Orvis HyFlote WF1. I do agree it's a pretty soft rod but just what I wanted.

I built the Finesse because I wasn't thrilled with the factory components and I wanted it lighter; I like the CT components a little better (although I wish they also sold the blanks). The CT 2wt is 7'6", which is OK in a 3wt to me, but I prefer the shorter length of the Finesse in a 2wt. I wanted to go even shorter so I went down to the 1wt but it's not for long casts. Small creeks and smallish flies, leader fishing etc.

The Finesse is the standout for TFO to me and their only series I've found to really be compelled to own. I might even build a couple other weights at some point.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:46 pm • # 5 
Administrator

I haven't tried the Redington, but it's no secret that I'm not a fan of TFO rods. As Gary Loomis himself has said in a podcast, TFO fly rods just aren't that good. Any rod that I've tried at the same price point as the TFO Finesse from other companies has always been a better rod.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:01 pm • # 6 

I certainly consider my TFO Sig Series II 2 wt (6 ft) an ultralight rod. It does alright with either a 2 wt line or a 3 wt line, and a big panfish puts a nice bend in it.

Jeremy, I probably don't have enough experience of other rods that are apples to apples with the TFO sticks, though at the rate I'm going I'll soon enough have all of them (oy vey! don't tell my wife ....) -- but I'm interested to know what you don't like about them?

And I am rather shocked that Loomis, who has designed many of their rods, isn't a fan.

I am not thrilled with every TFO I've ever used (for instance the TiCr and TiCrX series), but I really like my 2 wt. for $125 with a lifetime warranty and my BVK 8 and Clouser 8, two rods I use for the same waters but that cast very differently.

It seems to me that once you eliminate the "dogs" the differences (other than finish perhaps) between a $150 carbon fiber rod and a $750 carbon fiber rod are pretty subtle in 2017.

On the other hand, I also can't tell much difference between a Columbia Crest Cab for $9 and Cade's 2012 Estate Cabernet for $90. So it might just be me. ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:53 am • # 7 

my opinion: the finesse is too soft in the 2 weight but I like the 4 weight. I have the redington trout and I built an RDP7'6" 3piece 2 weight and I really like both in the two weight. We usually have wind issues on East Texas lakes, making a soft 2 weight rod very difficult to fish.-p-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:31 pm • # 8 
Administrator

TXH2Oman wrote:
I certainly consider my TFO Sig Series II 2 wt (6 ft) an ultralight rod. It does alright with either a 2 wt line or a 3 wt line, and a big panfish puts a nice bend in it.

Jeremy, I probably don't have enough experience of other rods that are apples to apples with the TFO sticks, though at the rate I'm going I'll soon enough have all of them (oy vey! don't tell my wife ....) -- but I'm interested to know what you don't like about them?

And I am rather shocked that Loomis, who has designed many of their rods, isn't a fan.

I am not thrilled with every TFO I've ever used (for instance the TiCr and TiCrX series), but I really like my 2 wt. for $125 with a lifetime warranty and my BVK 8 and Clouser 8, two rods I use for the same waters but that cast very differently.

It seems to me that once you eliminate the "dogs" the differences (other than finish perhaps) between a $150 carbon fiber rod and a $750 carbon fiber rod are pretty subtle in 2017.

On the other hand, I also can't tell much difference between a Columbia Crest Cab for $9 and Cade's 2012 Estate Cabernet for $90. So it might just be me. ;-)

Gary Loomis was stating that when he joined up with TFO that the rods were not designed all that well, and he's only been involved with designing the spinning and casting rods as far as I'm aware, Lefty gets to play with the fly rods.

Why don't I like TFO rods? Well they just don't cast or perform as well as other rods of like price across the board. An Echo Carbon just casts and fishes better than a Finesse. The St. Croix Premier used to be priced about the same as a Finesse, and its also better.

TFO rods just feel clunky for the most part. The cork usually is pretty bad, the blanks are heavy compared to other makes, and most tend to have a heavier swing weight in hand.

Now I'll admit I've cast many, and even own more expensive and better performing USA made rods, so yes I'm a little biased. These days though the low end market is very competitive, and the rods are better than ever, but TFO is a bit behind the materials and performance curve.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:18 pm • # 9 

I too fish small creeks in Colorado. Most are less than five foot wide and a twenty foot cast is a long one. I prefer glass for this type of fishing with the Echo 6'3" two wt. As one of the best factory rods. If it's a little more open a 1wt. TFO finesse or Echo 2 wt. carbon is good. But mostly I fish a custom glass in a 6'6" 2wt. or 6'6" 1 wt. Another good rod for tight creeks is the TFO 5' half wt.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:27 pm • # 10 

jkurtz7 wrote:
Gary Loomis was stating that when he joined up with TFO that the rods were not designed all that well, and he's only been involved with designing the spinning and casting rods as far as I'm aware, Lefty gets to play with the fly rods.

Why don't I like TFO rods? Well they just don't cast or perform as well as other rods of like price across the board. An Echo Carbon just casts and fishes better than a Finesse. The St. Croix Premier used to be priced about the same as a Finesse, and its also better.

TFO rods just feel clunky for the most part. The cork usually is pretty bad, the blanks are heavy compared to other makes, and most tend to have a heavier swing weight in hand.

Now I'll admit I've cast many, and even own more expensive and better performing USA made rods, so yes I'm a little biased. These days though the low end market is very competitive, and the rods are better than ever, but TFO is a bit behind the materials and performance curve.

Fair enough. I guess I need to get me one of those Echo Carbons to compare.

Post subject: looking at 2wts.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:07 am • # 11 

My two weight is The Orvis Ultrafine. It's more than 30 years old but still a great rod. It's far from a whimsy rod.

You could try to find one in eBay. The real vintage ones are a bit pricey but the later ones aren't that bad.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:58 am • # 12 

Echo Carbon, in my opinion, is a can't miss 2wt. I love mine. Definitely worth your consideration.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:33 am • # 13 

Thanks for all the great advice friends. I too am a TFO fan, at least with some of their rods. I had the Pro II Series in a 5wt long ago and thought it to be a very well built rod for the money.

You guys definitely got me thinking now, dang it. I sent my 7' 6" 3wt Classic Trout to a member here on the forum because I have a 3wt Scott F2 and a 3Wt 8'6" CT. So that's pretty well covered.

But would just like to try a 2wt. I think I will have the fly shop here order me one.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:53 am • # 14 

I seem to recall some people saying that the CT 2wt was not as medium an action as the CT 3wt for its line weight. But I'm surprised Mike hasn't chimed in because I'm sure he's owned both of them (more than once I think...)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:17 pm • # 15 

That's a good point priest, and some have mentioned as well. So let me ask this then. If the 2wt CT is softer than a 3wt, what would you all describe as a really nice flex or action for a 2wt. The stream I am considering fishing is about a 20 foot wide free stone stream with bookies & curries around 8in.

This is to be a dry fly only rod, so keep that in mind.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:50 pm • # 16 

Iasgair wrote:
That's a good point priest, and some have mentioned as well. So let me ask this then. If the 2wt CT is softer than a 3wt, what would you all describe as a really nice flex or action for a 2wt. The stream I am considering fishing is about a 20 foot wide free stone stream with bookies & curries around 8in.

This is to be a dry fly only rod, so keep that in mind.

In which case, a Cabela's CGR 2 wt? Really nice rods for the price ($100? I got mine on sale for $59) and just a ton of fun for fish that size.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:12 pm • # 17 

Actually I think it was the opposite on the CT 2wt, that it was faster taper than the 3wt. I looked into it before because I love my CT 3wt so much, but the combination of everything I'd read about the 2 seemed like it wasn't enough of a difference. Plus it's the same length.

The CGR is an option too and I can see how people like them. I tried to like them (2 and 3wts) but they were just too floppy in the tip for me. I didn't like the loop getting all that play in it when I'm laying out the fly. And those creeks you're talking about sound like a backpacking scenario, and I've finally become intolerant of anything under 4pcs for that kind of fishing. I don't get why almost every single glass rod is 3pcs. I guess just to be nostalgic but that doesn't serve too well when you're bushwacking on uneven terrain, just to get yanked backward because you're rod/tube is sticking out of your backpack by 6-8 inches.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:28 pm • # 18 

preast wrote:
Actually I think it was the opposite on the CT 2wt, that it was faster taper than the 3wt. I looked into it before because I love my CT 3wt so much, but the combination of everything I'd read about the 2 seemed like it wasn't enough of a difference. Plus it's the same length.

The CGR is an option too and I can see how people like them. I tried to like them (2 and 3wts) but they were just too floppy in the tip for me. I didn't like the loop getting all that play in it when I'm laying out the fly. And those creeks you're talking about sound like a backpacking scenario, and I've finally become intolerant of anything under 4pcs for that kind of fishing. I don't get why almost every single glass rod is 3pcs. I guess just to be nostalgic but that doesn't serve too well when you're bushwacking on uneven terrain, just to get yanked backward because you're rod/tube is sticking out of your backpack by 6-8 inches.

I like the 7'6" rods. All the other rods I looked at were 8' and over, some were 6'. A 2wt at 8' would be as long as I'd go, and I believe it was the TFO Pro Series II that comes in that length. The Finesse was 7'3", which wouldn't be bad.

As for the CGR rods, I think I'm the only one in this great country that does not like them at all. I had one in the 4/5 weight and I gave it away. Too soft for me. I like a little faster glass rod like my Scott F2 or Steffen's.

And for a ultralight rod, I don't need to spend over $180, and many aren't more than that unless I have a rod made. But why, it's a 2wt for goodness sake. I'm going to be catching small wild trout, not streamer crushing browns. I'm just trying to keep it simple and practical. And if the 2wt CT is how you describe, it's the winner.

I'll go to the fly shop and have one ordered, seems there is an UL epidemic going on and everyone is sold out. Hmmm,...strange. ???

I must say that I am blessed to live in an area where there are more rivers, creeks, streams, lakes and ponds than a person can fish in a lifetime. Just the Rocky Mount. Nat. Park alone is awesome. But the Indian Peaks Wilderness Area is the true gem. There are areas I fish ( and they are no secret areas either ) where I have not come in contact with any other fisherman. I generally fish for a good 8 hrs. and having a beautiful piece of water in the forest to myself to explore with no one insight is truly paradise on earth. It's dry fly heaven.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:00 pm • # 19 

I have had the TFO Professional 8' 2 Weight for 11 years and I just love it, broke the top section and the rod was replaced without cost about 9 years ago. 2 thirds of all my fish including LMB in the 3lb range my go to and favorite rod.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:18 pm • # 20 

I have a Redington 2 wt CT hardly used and thinking about selling it. Too may rods...
Asking $85 for it.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ] New Topic Add Reply