It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:32 pm • # 1 

Seen mention of the Cabelas CGRs being on sale again, but me being ignorant to fiber glass Im curious about how the Eagle Claw feather weight compares.

Just like to hear the thoughts of the more experienced.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:50 pm • # 2 

Can't answer the question because I don't have the feather weight. I have all the CGRs and I have the Eagle Claw Sweetheart. The CGR are very soft and the Sweetheart is not.
I

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:38 pm • # 3 

I've had the same question even though I have all three Eagle Claw Featherlights and two CGRs, 4/5 & 7/8. The CGRs are recent purchases and being glass they are teaching me a lot about casting and I've come to love them. Perhaps the same lessons could have been learned from the glass ECs but I just wasn't that good at casting when I was playing with those. I'd cast them side by side to compare but only the 6'6" 3/4 wt. is presently available. My daughter has the 7' 5/6 wt. and I converted the 8' 5/6 wt. into a two hander (guess I could still test that one though).

My gut says go for the CGR when on sale. If it's not on sale and you want to see what glass is like, you can't go too wrong with a Featherlight for $29. In either case, I'm amazed by how different these slow glass rods are compared to carbon. At first its hard to slow down, or even know just what that means, but once you do you'll be rewarded by a rod that communicates more with you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:26 pm • # 4 

I'm with Knotty on this one. I have both and overall the CGR is a much nicer rod (fit and finish) and I fish it regularly. Gotta slow down a lot if you've been throwing graphite rod, but it sure is a sweetheart. Haven't actually cast the Featherlight 3/4 yet, but soon. It feels stiffer/faster in hand. I actually ordered the EC sort of by accident, but heck ... $29? Can't be too bad of a mistake.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:56 am • # 5 

Cast the Eagle Claw 3/4 this weekend along with my CGRs. The EC had less feel to it. Very useable but just didn't communicate as well as the CGRs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:50 pm • # 6 

I have both of these rods and both seem to have their good points. If it's small flies and a delicate presentation I prefer the eagle claw. The Cabela's seems to have more of a responsiveness to it for me. I prefer it for windy days and longer casts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:41 pm • # 7 

I think two different categories, with CGR superior. Haven't had recent Eagle Claws, but thought earlier ones were clubs.

I'm sure others will heartily disagree.

Barry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:42 am • # 8 

I finally took one of my Eagle Claw 3/4s out in the yard to cast (I "accidentally" ordered two on Amazon a few weeks back). I was able to lay out about 50 ft. with no problem with a WF3F. It did not like short casts for sure. It felt heavy and thick in the hand (see "like a club" comment above). But I agree it is useable, and might even be better than okay with a WF4F onboard.

When I put them in my Amazon cart, my thought was they would be great learning rods for my 7 y-o- and wife. Now I think they probably do not cast well enough to make that fun or productive for them (but I'll try a 4 wt line), but they are fine as backups or truck rods.

I really like the CGR 2 wt (on sale again right now, yo) with a WF2F. I absolutely love it with a WF3F. The only thing I would change about it is the reel seat. Not a fan of sliding rings generally, and these particular ones don't seem to be large enough or grippy enough to keep any of my reels super secure.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:06 pm • # 9 

I've tried both WF3 and WF4 on the Eagle Claw and 4 is definitely the way to go.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the CGR 2 wt, just not a fan of the sliding rings. If they were also offering free shipping the scales would tip in favor of ordering.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:21 am • # 10 
Administrator

CGR is the better rod, hands down.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:36 am • # 11 

Knotty, I've never paid shipping when I ordered my CGR and 3 forks from cabela; you could go through the check out procedure to verify.
For me, the CGR 2wt is a different experience; I've even purchased two after I foolishly broke my first. Come to think of it, you don't pay
shipping if you have the items shipped to the store and then you pick them up from the store

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:09 am • # 12 

They have free shipping right now with a $99 order. So very simple, just buy two.

Or

Better yet, Primes are half price, so buy the CGR 6'2", 2wt for $59.99 and the 6', 3wt Prime for $80. Makes a great pair of light rods.

If $139 seems like too much, just think of it as 38 cents a day for the next year.

Barry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:57 am • # 13 

Never ask a group of addicts if you should have one more! LOL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:10 pm • # 14 

CGR is the better without question. With a fat gill on,it brings a smile every time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:38 pm • # 15 

Knotty wrote:
Never ask a group of addicts if you should have one more! LOL

Reminds me of a post from the Fiberglass Forum: a member posted that he had solved the equation of
how many fly rods one needs.
Number of Fly Rods Needed = Number of Fly Rods in owned + 1.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:18 pm • # 16 

Cmound wrote:
CGR is the better without question. With a fat gill on,it brings a smile every time.

This is the first year fishing with the CGR 2 weight. With the weather and water warming the blue gills are more active, are more frisky, and fight harder when hooked. It does bring a smile to my face, but it is down right scary when one of these chunky 8 inch farm pond monsters attack a black size 12 wooly worm on the two weight CGR. The hook is set and the little rod bends to just forward of the butt. The rod trip is straight/parallel with the fly line directed at the dinnerplate-shaped bundle of fury! At this point I usually start to back away from the bank because I fear I might be pulled into the pond by the ensuing battle. Once the Bull Gill is landed, returned to the water, and I am safe and secure on dry land...the bank! I find myself wanting to go through the hole experience again and again! Go for the little 2 wt CGR!

Somewhat off topic, but Enjoy and Be Safe!

The Gill Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:49 pm • # 17 

Well said Gill Guy!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:01 am • # 18 

Ditto Gill Guy. The CGR 2 weight is a woderfull experience.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:13 pm • # 19 

JimRed wrote:
how many fly rods one needs.
Number of Fly Rods Needed = Number of Fly Rods owned + 1.

That math makes sense to me so I ordered a CGR 2 wt. Actually it's backordered. Overcame the shipping issue by buying some other stuff to get the total over $99 and get free shipping. It's practically like printing money. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:04 pm • # 20 

Knotty, I agree with you about the slip rings on the CGR, but that is pretty easy to overlook when you have a nice fish on the line. I purchased a Redington Butter Stick 2 weight a while back, and while showing it to a friend, he let me cast his CGR 2 weight. The next night I just happened to look on the Cabela's site and they had the CGR priced at $41.81. Couldn't pass up a deal like that. The CGR was much less expensive than the Redington, but cast about as well. It has quickly become a favorite. I have caught spotted bass up to 14" without being overpowered.

Larry

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ] New Topic Add Reply