It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 38 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:43 pm • # 1 

Okay, so I sort of have a thing for fly reels these days. It's not a healthy thing, but of all my vices, it's probably the least unhealthy (depending on how much attention my wife is paying). I love them way, way more than their usefulness on an ultralight rod calls for.

A buddy snapped-up a Sage Click 0 (3 1/8" diameter, 2 5/16 oz) when it was (very briefly) on sale for $160 or something like that (less than a spool, normally). I got to fondle it (the reel) at crew change and it's a sweet, light little reel.

I just ordered a Danielsson Midge (3.26" diameter, 2.75 oz., $148) from Sweden -- the original (when made by Loop, back in the 1980s) modern super large arbor reel. It gets good reviews, where you can find them, and is an icon of industrial design. Anyhow it uses a nylon bushing friction drag system (now known as the "Danielsson System") somewhat similar to what Vosseler RC1 reels use. I'll be taking it to Colorado at the end of July ... I will report back.
Yesterday I got my hands on a TFO BVK 0 (2.75" diameter, 2.1 oz, $159) for the first time. Oh. Em. Gee. I love this little reel! It's tiny, it's light, and the click is relatively subdued, and noticeably different on the strip than on the retrieve, not high and annoying. Definitely the next reel on the list.
I also got to handle the Hatch Finatic 1 plus (2.9" diameter, 2.8 oz, disc drag!), which is so beautiful it kinda makes my heart go pitter-patter, but it's going to be a long time before I can justify $350 for a reel that will only rarely have a fish on it.
ImageImage

Finally, I played around with the Ross Colorado LT (3.2" diameter, 2.6 oz., $285), which I've been eyeing for a while. It actually feels a bit bigger than I expected, and the click is annoyingly loud. The guy at the fly shop said it gets quieter with line on the spool.

Of the reels I have, my favorites are the Orvis Battenkill I (Click and pawl, 2.75" diameter, 2.8 oz., , $98) -- light, slim and bulletproof (and warrantied for life)
and the Vosseler RC1 (2.5 inches diameter, 3.7 oz., $117) from Germany.
I also have a Redington Zero 2/3 (3" diameter, 2.75 oz., $80) that I'm kind of ambivalent about. Perfectly adequate, but not a standout in any category.

I did use an Orvis BBS II (2.75" diameter, 3.5 oz) yesterday, and that too is a really nice reel ... no longer made, but they can be picked up pretty inexpensively on eBay and elsewhere. I would go for the BBS I (2.5" diameter, 3.5 oz), but the II wasn't too large for a 2 wt or 3 wt.

Finally, on my ultimate wish list, is the Redington-issued Ari T Hart reel -- RH 0. Supposedly the least collectible of Hart's designs, there's just something about the clean, modern lines that appeals (2 3/8" diameter., 2.95 oz) Anyone have one they'd be willing to part with?
I have a bunch of vintage reels (eBay, like reels generally, is addictive), including too many Pflueger Progress tuna cans, and a near-mint Martin MG3 with a spare spool that I actually use. Some of the old reels are elegant and most are perfectly adequate for ultralight fishing.
Of the Chinese knock-off reels, the one below (2.6" diameter, ? weight but probably a bit over 3 oz., ordered direct from the manufacturer for $31) is quite nice. Loaned out right now or I'd weight it. Middling size and weight for ultralight, nice click, nicely machined. I forget which well-known model it copies, but it's decent.
Lately I've also looked more than once at Leland Classic Trout and Red Truck Diesel reels. They are pretty, and probably durable, but are not particularly light (2.7" and 4.3 oz for the smallest Leland, and 2.5" and 3.8 oz for the 0-2wt Red Truck Classic). Anyone have any experience with either?
What about you guys? Anything you are in love with, or want to own but haven't purchased yet?

*BTW, a forum search will turn-up hands-on reviews on many of these models.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:08 pm • # 2 

Nice assortment of reels and attractive display. I'm not a reel enthusiast but I have a liking for the simplicity of a click and pawl.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:43 pm • # 3 

Aaron,
I also tend to be a gear freak. I have a couple of those reels, the Vosseler and the Redington Zero. The Vosseler is very smooth and has a rather unique drag, but my arthritic thumbs really don't like having to push forcefully to remove the spool. I kinda like the Redington Zero for its light weight and utter simplicity. The Chinese knock-off you showed is from Maxcatch, and is an almost exact copy of a Redington Drift which was recently discontinued. The only difference I can see is Maxcatch used Phillips head screws on the back plate. Maxcatch also has a copy of the original Sage Click reel, and if I remember correctly, somebody on this forum did a review of it a few years ago. I have one of the new Maxcatch glass 7' 3 weight rods coming in over the next few days. I have been hearing some pretty good things about them and for the price (less than $60) it was certainly worth a risk. I will bring it to the Central Texas outing in September and let other people try it out.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:00 pm • # 4 

Larry, yes you are correct on all counts. Maxcatch is the house retail badge of the manufacturer I'm doing business with. Just got four prototype rods (2 and 3 wt) from them ... getting close after 10 months of development. As you probably know, they also make rods for a number of well-known brands -- a couple of which are often well-reviewed here and elsewhere.

I look forward to trying the glass 3 wt! Hopefully I'll have some goodies to trade around for try-outs too.

I haven't ordered the Click repro, since that's a current Sage offering and even though they are very upfront about it being an homage to the Click, it just didn't seem quite right. I could change my mind.

I never thought of myself as a gear head. Dangit. It's just these reels .... these danged reels. LOL.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:21 pm • # 5 

Just found a 2014 thread covering some of the same ground. Did anyone ever get their hands on a Wychwood Field & Stream clicker? They're going for around $60 now (plus $25ish shipping from UK).

CORRECTION: $116. The $60 was the spool.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:35 am • # 6 

I've got the maxcatch disc drag reel for a 0wt. It lists at 3.3 oz and spooled up it completely overpowers the little rod weight wise. I'm heading up to a fly shop today to take a look at the BVK 0, Sage click 0 and whatever else they might have.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:48 pm • # 7 

Lightfoot wrote:
I've got the maxcatch disc drag reel for a 0wt. It lists at 3.3 oz and spooled up it completely overpowers the little rod weight wise. I'm heading up to a fly shop today to take a look at the BVK 0, Sage click 0 and whatever else they might have.

I just picked up the bvk 0 yesterday. It's kind of wonderful. About to put some line on it and then fish it this evening.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:20 pm • # 8 

Typically with small reels I cut off about 15-20 ft of the back end of a 100' fly line. Shouldn't have with the BVK 0 -- with 15 or so yards of 20 lb backing, there was still room for an entire 100' 3 AFTMA standard WF3F.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:38 pm • # 9 

Well about all they had for the small stuff was the sage click so I passed on it. They didn't have a price marked and I didn't even ask. I did enough damage money wise in buying flies that were too small for me to see or tie, indicators, fly box, tippet, leaders and some tying stuff. I'll be at Putah creek (local tailwater) in the morning with the 0wt hoping not to hook anything big.

I don't care for the spool retention system on the maxcatch reel. Basically it is a threaded cap on post with a small o ring to seal it. Unscrew the cap and pull the spool. Having a pawl or push button system would be a lot more user friendly without having to worry about loosing parts. The reel seems to be extremely smooth with a soft initial startup and virtually silent, especially with my hearing. Weight and spool retention seem to be the only downer so far.

I'm guessing in time I'll probably pick up a bvk 0 online. On a side note, I've got that same little diawa reel you show on the right side of the group photo. Light and LOUD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:05 pm • # 10 

As a loyal TFO fanatic, I love the cosmetics of the BVK Zero, I had one for a short period of time and the down side to is the plastic arrow shaped clicker. It doesn't have enough tension in my opinion. The ne I had freespooled on me when stripping out line and created several birds nests on me. Other than that i liked it. Mine was a gold prototype when they first came out prior to full blown production. They may have changed it since then.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:53 pm • # 11 

Mike -- I think they have changed the clicker. I don't know what the prototype looked like, but see below for what it is now. Appears to be two stamped metal pieces, one for outgoing and one for retrieve. I assume that, to switch from LHR to RHR, one would take out that screw and flip the clicker(s) around the other way. I haven't bothered to check.

It's still pretty light tension; I actually wondered if it would be enough, but I didn't have any problems with overruns and I was all over the place with it this evening, juggling that rod, my wife's, and two kids.

It *is* awful smooth and the click is pretty subdued, which I like. Balanced the TFO Lefty Sig II 2 wt. really nicely, with 3 wt line.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:45 am • # 12 

Lightfoot wrote:
Well about all they had for the small stuff was the sage click so I passed on it. They didn't have a price marked and I didn't even ask. I did enough damage money wise in buying flies that were too small for me to see or tie, indicators, fly box, tippet, leaders and some tying stuff. I'll be at Putah creek (local tailwater) in the morning with the 0wt hoping not to hook anything big.

I don't care for the spool retention system on the maxcatch reel. Basically it is a threaded cap on post with a small o ring to seal it. Unscrew the cap and pull the spool. Having a pawl or push button system would be a lot more user friendly without having to worry about loosing parts. The reel seems to be extremely smooth with a soft initial startup and virtually silent, especially with my hearing. Weight and spool retention seem to be the only downer so far.

I'm guessing in time I'll probably pick up a bvk 0 online. On a side note, I've got that same little diawa reel you show on the right side of the group photo. Light and LOUD

I greased that Diawa clicker up with white lithium and that quieted it down a bit. Neat little reel. I bet you'd really like the Maxcatch Trout Classic (CDB) 2/3 at 2.76 in. diameter and 2.89 oz empty. As pointed out above, it's the Redington Drift (no longer available). I was just noticing today as I switched one from LHR to RHR how much I like the tension adjustment on that reel ... from virtually silent to hard click as it is tightened. There's a sweet spot in there for just about anyone. $59 online.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:26 am • # 13 

Fly reels can be an addiction in themselves; the different designs are fascinating. I ordered the BVK with my half weight rod. While I don't have a lot of other reels to compare it to, I can find no fault with it. Still waiting to see how it handles a slot red. I use a Hydros I on the 2 weight; it had an Access I on it until Orvis ran the killer sales to clear out the old model Hydros reels. Both of them have handled the reds nicely.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:50 am • # 14 

Aaron, it looks like the did change it up. Mine was a single plastic arrow looking clicker.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:32 am • # 15 

Well I enjoy my reels because they hold my ULFF fly lines, I know a brilliant thought. My favorite is one given to me by a good friend, a Mirada reel, these reels are no longer made and I am very sad, because I'd like to have more of them, small, light and smooth. I really enjoy it on my 6' and 8' 2wt. rods. Just my $.02. Take care, John.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:04 pm • # 16 

Ultralight reels got my attention only a brief period.

I once owned a special edition of the Waterworks Purist 1. Very light and smart looks. Then I found out that the fly line could get caught in the rim. Getting a spare spool was a mortgage breaker too. So I sold it.

Sage small reels never appealed to me since they got outsourced to Far East. Their Sage 500 series I love but that's a whole different era.

When looking for a replacement for the Purist I settled for the Danielsson Midge. Smart looks and the spare spools are affordable too. Now I got three spare spools.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:04 am • # 17 

No one has mentioned the Sage Click's older brother the "Sage" 3100. This was made by Lamson for Sage. The early 3100/3200 were made in the US. US made or not the 3100 is a very good ul reel.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:21 am • # 18 

Hey Aaron!

Nice comparison!
Daniellson made the reels for Loop not vice versa - but I guess that´s what you meant anyway. Then they got into a fight and now Loop reels are made in Asia and sell for the same price or more than they did when they were still made by Daniellson...

The TFO BVK looks nice at first, but the anodizing is very poor and the plastic clicker is an accident waiting to happen - saw one break after a few times fishing for no reason, and the spool/spindle develops play rather fast too...

The Ross Colorado LT has VERY impressive machining - in my opinion the best of the shown reels and it´s incredible tough - mine fell down rather hard a few times and the spool remained completely straight... Handle was the nicest I've ever had... The sound is loud, but more refined than the Hardy click and pawls in my opinion... However as you said they are rather big for small stream rods - I got rid of mine... I would never buy a Sage Click, if I could get a Colorado LT. USA made and metal clicker vs flimsy plastic thing made in Asia for the same price (even for 160 I would always go for the Vosseler or Battenkill)....

I really like the Battenkill too - very nice. I prefer not to have a large arbour reel for light fly fishing - not funtion- but lookswise. I wish it would be made in Germany or the USA (I don't like the C.F.O. even it's made by Abel now, because of the pointless clicker-adjusment), with nice rounded edges like the Vosseler. So basically an Abel TR... I love the Vosselers - they are bombproof, made in Germany, nice rounded edges all over it and very reasonable priced. I use them for all my fishing, but I miss the sound of a real clicker to be honest...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:34 pm • # 19 

Surprised no one mentioned the Galvan Brookie 0/1. One of the finest UL reels ever made, and in the US. Retails for $210, spools go for about half that, very quiet click, adjustable from the inside. 2.7 in diameter, 2.54 oz. Mine holds ~25yds 30 lb backing (easier to handle) and up to half a DT4, or up to WF3 with a bit of running line removed. I also have the 3/4 model, which is still well under 3 oz, but I usually load mine with a WF5, so it's my "big" reel.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:08 pm • # 20 

Though I lament its discontinuance, the Abel Creek 1LA does it for me. The 3.8 oz the AC1 is comparable to the upper end of what you guys a talking. It pairs well with my T&T EPS 3wt that duo accompanied me this morning for some cutts and brookies in a small mountain stream.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 38 posts ] New Topic Add Reply