It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 38 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:21 pm • # 21 

Gerhard -- I should have a Danielson waiting for me when I get home. Looking forward to playing with it. I had a hard time determining quickly if the clickers (there are two) on the BVK were plastic or metal, and finally settled on metal. I'll look again, or use a magnet. I think that one will go on a 1wr eventually. I absolutely love that little Vosseler R 1 ... I believe I'll be ordering another one. Even with the lack of a clicker, I never feel like it is going to over-run.

And I have an updated table with a lot more models that I will post up in a bit. Galvan Brooke is on it, and also the Hardy Ultralight FWD. There some surprises (surprised me, anyhow) when I put some of the reels side-by-side.

Honestly, for ultralight fly fishing, the reels don't have to do much and it's probably a sin to spend more than $100 on one, but ... pretty. They're pretty! LOL.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:00 pm • # 22 

Congrats on the Danielsson - they really are nice - and have kind of a cult-like following over here...

Maybe they had different production runs on the BVK reel - the one of my friend however, had a plastic clicker and was rather disappointing...

I love the Vosselers - most of my reels are; and their system in terms of longivety and simplicity is second to none(haven´t tried the Galvan Brooky - sounds very promising too); however I miss the metallic click of let´s say the before mentioned Colorado LT. My perfect reel would look like a Vosseler or Abel and have a one-direction-bearing, so you could easily give it a flick to bring in slackline fast and generally bring line in siliently; but for the line-out direction one could hear a nice metallic clicker... That´s what the heart says; reason is with you and after all in light flyfishing all a reel has to do is hold the line...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:12 pm • # 23 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:00 pm • # 24 

Matt has just added a really intriguing line of reels to his shop -- 3.6 oz, 2.63 in. diameter, $179: https://www.proofflyfishing.com/collect ... ls-leaders

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:23 pm • # 25 

I had been admiring the Approach Genesis since the first time I saw it on the Fiberglass Flyrodders forum a while back. I had even checked on the prices, but decided having one shipped from Europe or Taiwan was just a little too much. However when Matt announced on the glass board last night, I couldn't pass it up. After all, everyone needs a bright orange reel. It is on the way to me at this time. Heck, I even have a couple of orange rods to use with it.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:48 am • # 26 

Canoeman1947 wrote:
After all, everyone needs a bright orange reel. It is on the way to me at this time. Heck, I even have a couple of orange rods to use with it.

Larry

And possibly a slate, brown, green, black, pink or silver one as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:23 pm • # 27 

TXH2Oman wrote:

Just to clarify, I am pretty certain the Cabelas CGR reel is a lot lighter than that. They have the wrong weight listed on their site. I have the 2-3wt reel, I can try and weigh it but it is all spooled up with 3wt line.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:06 pm • # 28 

So, my memory sparked by a post in this thread, I picked up a Wychwood River & Stream, the small one, although that's relative to the .2 oz additional mass of the large one. It's a well-machined reel, with a plastic clicker those of you familiar with the Sage Click series and the Lamson-Waterworks Purist will recognize. This one is adjustable with an external wheel, stepped with detentes. The spool is removable by hand with a captured screw in the center of the shaft. The original color several years ago was a soft gold, but you'll only rarely find one (used) on ebay these days. The current color is call gunmetal, which is not terribly descriptive since it's been used for everything from medium gray to sage green. The actual color is an attractive dark silver, polished to a soft and not terribly reflective finish. I paid $135, shipped from the UK, from an ebay dealer.

This reel is insanely light, weighing only 1.8 oz, and has a ~2.7 inch diameter spool, so it's both feather light and "normal" size for an ultralight reel—Not a matchbox miniature, as other sub-two ounce reels have typically been. I haven't lined it yet, but feel sure it will hold an adequate amount of backing and a 3wt line, or anything lighter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:50 pm • # 29 

Anybody tried the RDP1 1/2wt? Says it's 2.3 oz. I like the looks of it and the price isn't bad.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:37 pm • # 30 

Never been much of a "gear head" especially with UL fly reels. I can't recall ever playing a fish "on the reel" so in effect they are line holders for me.....and my tastes definitely run more to the "blue collar" end of the spectrum.

With that being said, my favorite UL fly reel is the Redington CT 2/3. I bought my only one from a Fiberglass Flyrodder forum member several years ago and it's currently serving me well on my Dorber Ultraweave 2wt.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:01 pm • # 31 

Cross Creek,
I had finally made up my mind (such as it is) that I had all the reels I could possibly ever need or use, and then you had to go and remind me of the River & Stream reel. I should have a large red "E" tatooed on my forehead, E for easy. The reel should be leaving Harris Sportsmail in England at any time. I am retiring on Aug. 25, so maybe now that I am about to go on a fixed income I will stop acquiring new rods and reels. Or.......... if I sell off some of the ones I don't use I could finance some more. Something to think about. ;)

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:25 am • # 32 

Haha, Larry. The Wychwood is a sexy little beast. I think you'll love it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:51 am • # 33 

Txh20, nice collection! your Vosseler reel is sweet. is it new or vintage? how do you like it?
i use a vintage meisselbach rainbow reel #627 but am searching for a vintage Ross Colorado size 0, for my 7' 3wt honey lami... that Vosseler has my eye... will it hold a #3DT?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:30 am • # 34 

Teledan wrote:
TXH2Oman wrote:

Just to clarify, I am pretty certain the Cabelas CGR reel is a lot lighter than that. They have the wrong weight listed on their site. I have the 2-3wt reel, I can try and weigh it but it is all spooled up with 3wt line.

I looked at the Maxcatch website, and while they say their reels are 2.89/3.1oz respectively, their metric weight is 90/97gs. When you convert 90gs to ozs, it's 3.17oz and 97gs would be 3.4oz. I'm curious to as what the weight actually is. If anyone has these reels and could confirm, that'd be great.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:31 pm • # 35 

patcrisci wrote:
Txh20, nice collection! your Vosseler reel is sweet. is it new or vintage? how do you like it?
i use a vintage meisselbach rainbow reel #627 but am searching for a vintage Ross Colorado size 0, for my 7' 3wt honey lami... that Vosseler has my eye... will it hold a #3DT?

I love that little Vosseler. Quiet, but makes a sweet "whirr" if you get. Fish on it. I think it would take a DT3 -- haven't tried, but there was plenty of room for a full 100' Wf3F.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:36 pm • # 36 

Cross Creek,
You are correct about the River & Stream; that is one sweet little reel. I do like it a lot.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:40 pm • # 37 

For the record, the CGR 5/6 is 4.0/4.1 oz. (scale couldn't decide)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:46 pm • # 38 

Also, an update on my impressions of the BVK 0 reel. I so want to love this little beauty. Gorgeous design, terrific size and weight, crap clickers (there are 2). I suspect, as Gerhard or someone else pointed-out, they are plastic. Not always a deal-killer, but in this case they are a bit too soft (great sound, not so great at preventing overruns). Even just carrying my rod strung-up, I get fly line everywhere. That doesn't happen with my Battenkill or Vosseler. Seems like an easy fix going forward ... maybe TFO can do something about that.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 38 posts ] New Topic Add Reply