It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: One sweet little rod
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:52 pm • # 1 

Finally! I finally was able to get out and do some fishing with my new 2wt. As some of you may remember, I was looking around for a 2wt rod, and finally found one. It's an Elkhorn Traveler 7'6" 2wt. One of the reasons I chose this rod is because the Elkhorn shop is in the next town over, and I was still skeptical because I couldn't find any real reviews on them like other brands. But I went and tried them out and was impressed enough with this rod I bought it. Glad I did.

I took it to an area I fish around Estes Park, in the Rocky Mountain Nat. Park, and though the water was running still pretty fast, it was clear. The fish were tight against the bank, and getting in the water, though optional, not really safe yet in some areas, Though I did the best I could. I found a few fish, but lost them just as quickly. The higher I went, the faster the water was, so I gave up and headed down river to a more fisher friendly area, again, glad I did.

In the lower stretches, I was able to open up with longer casting, still finding fish near the bank, actually in the rocks. If they were any closer to the bank, they'd be on land. Here I was able to land a few, not anything to write home about, but they were pretty little browns about 10 inches. I was hoping to hook into something around the 15 inch mark to see what this rod would do, but all in all, I was very well pleased with this rod.

Now, Elkhorn rods as I understand it are a little heavy on the rod weight. I mean that a 2wt rod is like a 2.5 to a 3wt. So what I did was combined it with Airflo Elite 3wt WFF. With my casting, and distance I normally cast in these freestone streams, this was a perfect match.

I am so happy with this little rod, I think I'm going to check out their Nomad series. They are the more traditional mid flex rod, something I always liked in a dry fly rod in a 4 & 5wt.

Post subject: Re: One sweet little rod
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:06 pm • # 2 

Cool!

Post subject: Re: One sweet little rod
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:28 am • # 3 

Thanks for reporting on your first trip with the new rod; good to feel the enthusiasm in your report.

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply