It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:39 pm • # 1 

Hi all,

I'm looking for a Sage Quiet Taper 1 wt line.

I understand these haven't been made in a while, so I wondered if someone might have a line on a nice used one, a new old stock one, or opinions on a currently available alternative from another manufacturer.

Thanks!
-Eric in TX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:51 pm • # 2 

Having used both I would recommend Rio Trout Lt DT, even if the Sage QDT were still in production.
It's available in DT000F and up.

-Mike, Sweden.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:04 pm • # 3 

Barrio Small Stream lines are available in 1WF. Mike Barrio has done a very good job in designing these lines. They are available from his shop in Scotland, with free shipping, for about $36.00. I have several in 2 and 3 weight and like them.

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:47 pm • # 4 

Troutman wrote:
Having used both I would recommend Rio Trout Lt DT, even if the Sage QDT were still in production.

-Mike, Sweden.

Tack, Mike!

I've heard that the Rio Trout LT is on the heavy side (aka overlined) , but I haven't checked into the weights for the first 30.

Take care,
-Eric

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:45 pm • # 5 

Troutman wrote:

-Mike, Sweden.

Thanks, Mike,

That's some very interesting information. Have you got anything on the actual weights of those lines, particularly the ones of "0-weight" and under? My reason in asking is that it has been quite hard to find lines of 0-, 00- and 000-weights that are true to specifications.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:19 am • # 6 

Thinking that an Orvis Hy-flote in WF1 may be the ticket as well, since I'm looking for a line that is more true to weight than overlined. Anyone have a source for a WF 1 Hy-flote line?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:18 am • # 7 

The 1wt, both DT and WF, is listed as 60gr at 30feet. As it is a rear weight long belly line the wf is on the heavy side with the entire 40 ft head out, but it is deceiving to only measure head weight.

I'm much too impatient/lazy to weigh lines myself, those are manufacturer data. I do recall that there were a thread here on the forum with actual weights on both the Trout Lt and QDT in 1wts.

The line actually feels light when you are working it, the rear weight does even make it feel a bit (too much in my taste) on the light side when fishing short casts.

I have a Sage TXL 00wt that I mostly use overlined with a Trout Lt WF1 for small and medium stream work. I only switch to the spool with the 00wt Sage QDT when I need to make really long casts with midges at the tailwater fishing I do about once a year.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply