It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: leader/ tippet
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:44 pm • # 1 

Good afternoon guys, I have a # 0 rod in very slow action fiberglass (stick with a length of 1.70cm) I would like your help to know the exact length of the leader and tippet for a smooth presentation of the fly .. ... thank you for your advice.

Post subject: Re: leader/ tippet
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:45 pm • # 2 

The length of your rod including tippet. Can be longer depending on your skill level.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:15 pm • # 3 

Thank you, so I must use a leader with 1.70 cm + the tippet .... once again very oblige my friend Linecaster.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:58 am • # 4 

The length of the leader depends on so many circumstances. As I've read through the posts on this and the fiberglass forum, I've concluded that most fly fisherman use a leader about the length of the rod, making the leader easy to manage. Cliff is an exception; Cliff states that he uses a leader of 6 ft or less (Cliff correct me if I mis-speak) except when trout fishing and only tapers his leaders for trout fishing. Other's state that when bass bugging they use a leader length of 4 ft; demonstrating I think that the leader length depends on many factors.

I (currently) am using rods from 5.75 feet to 7.5 ft in weights from 2 to 7/8. I make my leaders a wing span (arms outstretched horizontally) plus a fore arms length which results in about 7 to 8 feet of leader including the last section (tippet). That technique of using my body to measure the length gives me a simple and quick way of measurement. I prefer tapering my leaders as that works best for me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:59 pm • # 5 

JimRed thank you very much my friend for the advice, so if I use my arms as a measure, it is around 2 meters (leader) + tippet, now I will test your advice and linecaster's advice too ..... thank you .. ...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:20 pm • # 6 

Gabriel,

For quite some time now, like since maybe 1970, I have been making my own tapered leaders by using the Ritz 60-20-20 formula, and it works well. That means the leader is 60% butt, 20% taper, and 20% tippet.

It works like this: the butt section should be 2/3 the diameter of the line point. For a “0-weight” line, I use 0.45 mm Araly superflex nylon monofilament. For a 170 cm leader, that means you would need a butt section that is 102 cm long. The tapered section would be 34 cm long. If you then go down to 0.35 mm nylon to end up with a tippet of 0.20 mm, stepping down 0.05 each time, to ensure knot integrity, you would divide the 34 cm by three. So you could use 7 cm each of 0.35 mm, 0.30 mm, and 0.25 mm, actually giving you 35 cm of taper. Then you would have 34 cm of 0.20 mm nylon for the tippet.

I use either blood knots or double surgeon knots to tie the sections together, being that the double surgeon’s knot is easier to tie and just as strong. Let’s hope that helps to get you going. Later on you can use the same formula by calculating the desired lengths and diameters.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:17 pm • # 7 

PampasPete thank you my friend, I'm going to test this formula, yes, because my fly line is very light so I have to look for the best ways to get a good presentation of my fly .... once again thank you very much.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:30 pm • # 8 

gabriel moreira wrote:
Good afternoon guys, I have a # 0 rod in very slow action fiberglass (stick with a length of 1.70cm) I would like your help to know the exact length of the leader and tippet for a smooth presentation of the fly .. ... thank you for your advice.

Gabriel,

Could you keep us updated on your leader progress? Okay, I’ll confess: what really interests me is more information about that rod. It’s hard to find a fiberglass fly rod below a 2-weight. What blank is it built on, possibly a national product?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:10 pm • # 9 

PampasPete.
I'll keep you informed, yes, because this stick is a project, I want to market it, I'm finishing some test (stick and silk line) .... then I'll post something about ..... thank you ....

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply