It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: My new UL Rod
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:00 pm • # 1 

I just picked up a 7'6" Winston GVX, with which I've been slaying the bluegill on the river behind my house and also the local pond. I have another UL, a 2-weight, but it's a very slow action - nice, but I wanted a faster-action rod as a counterpoint. The GVX is not super fast action, but certainly faster than my other rod! My first Winston, too, so that's cool.

I've paired it with a Orvis Hyflote 3 weight double taper that I had laying around the house, and that seems to suit the rod well - I am able to roll cast about 40 feet with a small fly on it. Anything remotely hopper-ish on the end reduces the distance a lot, roll casting. conditions being what they are on my river and pond, I have not really been able to open it up except one spot, and although not a good spot for fishing, I can cast 65 feet without much strain. I have never in my life caught a fish that required a 65 foot cast, but it's nice to know I can do it if I need, at least with this rod/line combo.

I can't wait to get it up to the Driftless area, as it'll be a great rod for the small overgrown streams there.

Post subject: Re: My new UL Rod
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:10 pm • # 2 

That sounds terrific. I almost pulled the trigger on the GVX last year. Sometimes I wish I still did because posts like yours really get interest up and going hearing wonderful things about them. I have never heard a negative review on the GVX.

Congrats on the new toy. I hope it treats you well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:49 pm • # 3 

Congratulations on the new rod. I can't imagine roll casting 40 feet and casting 65 feet with a 7.5 ft 3 wt; I have room for improvement.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:43 am • # 4 

JimRed you're not alone. I can't cast like that either.

I'd better get some casting lessons.

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:40 pm • # 5 

Fantastic!

You should have a great time with that rod. It is one one the more popular rods from Winston.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply