It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: silk fly line
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:40 am • # 1 

Good morning guys, I would like to know if anyone in the forum had the experience of using silk fly line in # 0 or # 1?
- How is the presentation of the soft fly?
- how is the appearance d line (smooth or rugged)?
- What is the average pitch distance?
I would very much appreciate the help and advices, very grateful to all ......

Post subject: Re: silk fly line
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:10 am • # 2 

Hi gabriel moreira

Just in case you didn't know there are a few Cortland WF 1 lines on the big auction site.

Not silk but just thought it may work for you.

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:10 pm • # 3 

Michael, good afternoon, my friend, how much I already looked for, because I asked these questions because I'm doing some fly line for me to use on a fiberglass rod # 0 ..... because I never used to wonder how it behaves .... .the fly line I made is type '' level '' and has the weight of 61.7 grains the total 12 meters line ...... so to advice, information is very welcome ..... but even so much Thank you Michael.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:08 pm • # 4 

Gabriel,

If your level line weighs 61.7 grains over 12 meters, that should work on a 0-weight rod. But the best way to know for sure is to put the line on a reel, put the reel on your rod, then get out to cast and fish with it. It might be a good idea to “dress” the line by rubbing on something like Mucilin line dressing. I have been using Carnu silicone-based automobile wax with some success on similar lines.

Incidentally, some time ago I tried finding a national source for organic silk, for rod building or line-making. Some companies in Brazil advertise “silk” (seda) thread, but when you investigate it is actually a synthetic like polyester or polyamide (nylon). The only source found is a company or cooperative in Paraná state called Casulo Feliz. Did you have similar difficulties in finding your raw material? Please let us know how your level silk fly line works out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:52 pm • # 5 

my friend PamPasPete, good afternoon, actually my line just has the name like silk thread, because I made it a multifilament thread (8 threads), but I'll follow your advice even if I did not do it yet because I had a problem with delay of some parts that I had to order so that I finish my project to start from time to customize the fly rod fiberglass # 0 .... because I am without any rod made completely to test the line ...... As for the weight of the my line hit the weight easily from 61 grains and 65 grains ...... Ah thank you very much for the tip my friend .... strong hug.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply