It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:57 pm • # 1 

Well I caved into the pressure of being the only Orvis employee sporting a TFO sticker on the rear window of my truck.

Picked up a Orvis Recon 3wt a couple of weeks ago. Fished it once on the 15th of this month. Most of you know my previous experiences with just about every TFO rods in the UL weights. The Recon compares to the 3wt BVK, my previous rod of choice for several years, just 4” longer. I currently have it paired with a Redington Zero reel and Orvis Superfine line. I’m digging the action and casting of the set up so far. It replaced my TFO Mangrove 4wt that I built when I sold it.

That left me with my 2wt TFO Finesse. Well I sold it two days ago and picked up a Orvis Superfine Carbon 1wt, paired with a Battenkill reel and Superfine line. Haven’t fished it yet, but I did take it out on the yard and for a few casts. Other than having to slow my strokes way down, I was able to get 30’ casts with the tuft of yard delicately landing on a 8” paper plate or within a foot of it once I slowed down. Hoping that I will get out this weekend to give a full report. With pictures. Weather, flu shots, and work permitting.

And to top it all off, I am still sporting the TFO sticker, but will also have a Orvis one back there too (once I clean the windows). So my aresenal has changed a bit. Used to be TFO 2wt, TFO 4wt, eagleclaw featherlite 3/4wt(wife’s), TFO 5wt(wife’s), and 3 Tenkara Rods 5 1/2’, 9’, and 12’. Drop the first two, and replace with the above mentioned rods.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:27 pm • # 2 

Now the other employees will let you sit at their lunch table. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:15 pm • # 3 

Congrats on the new rods. A pie plate at 30 feet is good, I'm happy to hit the water at half that distance. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:56 am • # 4 

It sounds as if you really prefer the Orvis rods over the TFO. Not that TFO rods are bad, they are really good mid price rods, and I do enjoy the Pro II Series quite well. But I have an 8' 4wt Superfine Touch that just makes me giggle when I fish it. And that's how it should be.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply