It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:56 am • # 1 

I'm going to introduce the 12 yo grandson to fly fishing/casting on my next once-or-twice-a-year visit. He lives in Phoenix AZ where city ponds are handy and creeks are not. However, we may get to some creeks.

He and I know fishing (catching) at the ponds is not great, so I hope to interest him in casting. I will get him a cheap fly rod, maybe an Eagle Claw or MaxCatch (V-Light?) or some other bargain but reputable rod I can find between now and March.

I am really uneasy about finding him a line. He is a kid, so I don't want to handicap him with too poor gear, nor drop $80 on a floating line that he never falls in love with.

The ponds have room to cast so I suppose he will want to reach out some times. Then, some times there will be obstructions in back or we could be on a creek and want to roll cast or do something speyish.

What does your experience say might be the least expensive, satisfying floating line?

Last edited by johnlau on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:06 am • # 2 

You really do not need anything expensive to fish the ponds in the phoenix area. Definitely best to go with a WF floating line. I catch 3 to 5# carp on a 6'6" 2wt with nothing more than a cheap ebay line, and have never had any problem

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:52 am • # 3 

I've used maxcatch's line with no complaints.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:50 pm • # 4 

I've recently been fishing the cheapest Cabela's line now on sale for $15. With the properly matched matched fly and rod it works well enough casting
30 to 40 feet with loading the rod from one backcast picking up 20 feet of line from the water.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:44 pm • # 5 

It is sounding good. I like inexpensive. The hope is, whatever line I buy, it will enable and soon lead to casting like in the video here:

viewtopic.php?t=11341

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:27 am • # 6 

I agree that the Maxcatch fly line is just fine. I use it (along with some "name brand" lines), my kinds use it. It's not a handicap in any way, but maybe not as durable as some of the more expensive lines.

https://www.amazon.com/Maxcatch-Weight- ... h+fly+line

I like glass for kids -- the Maxcatch Ultraglass 3 wt. is pretty good -- definitely better in the hand than the Eagle Claw; the Maxcatch V-Light (graphite) rod in 2 wt is terrific, but I've had really bad luck with the 3 wt -- four tip sections broken on casts, etc.

If you can find the Cabela's CGR 2 or 3 wt rods still, they are terrific for kids (and adults) in my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:03 pm • # 7 

johnlau wrote:
It is sounding good. I like inexpensive. The hope is, whatever line I buy, it will enable and soon lead to casting like in the video here:

viewtopic.php?t=11341

LauraPalmer, he's the best I've seen videos of.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:45 pm • # 8 

TXH2O, I was a little sorry to hear about bad luck with the Maxcatch 3wt. The size and price was what I had in mind for his first fly rod. The Cabela's CGR3 is way shorter than my 7 1/2' 3wt which will be the other rod he will have a chance to back-to-back, and CGRs are running over $100 now.The Maxcatch 7' 3wt glass you mentioned sounds better. I found a review that backs you up: https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/foru ... s-rod.html

I have settled my line question for now by buying a 4wt Wulff Triangle Taper and a 3wt Scientific Anglers Short Belly Taper for myself, which I will let him try. We'll share a learning curve on these (OK,not inexpensive) lines. But now I would ask anyone who has strong opinions about inexpensive rod options to chime in, since what I thought was settled in my mind is no longer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:58 pm • # 9 

If teaching a child or young teenager, I would tend to stick with glass rods if just for the durability factor. I also think many of the glass rods are easier to learn to cast. I have a MaxCatch Ultraglass 7' 3 weight and am quite satisfied with it. Another good choice in a 6'6" 3 weight is the Aventik glass rod. I had one, but traded it to a friend and he is very happy with it. Either of these rods can be found on E-bay or Amazon for less than $80.00 . Concerning rod action, I consider the Maxcatch to be very much a tip action rod, with most of the flex occurring in the tip section. The Aventik rod is a more typical progressive action, with the rod flexing more gradually as the load increases. I think you have been given some good advice already concerning fly lines, but you might also look into Hook & Hackle fly line which is available at this time for about $30.00. This is a very good line made by Cortland for Hook & Hackle.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:10 am • # 10 

I will keep the Hook & Hackle line in mind, though the two lines I already ordered will probably take care of us. The Wulff Triangle Taper was recommended by Laura Palmer in a PM, it's what he uses, and product description and reviews of the SA Short Belly Taper seem ideal for pond fishing rollcast-strip-rollcast-no-mending-required.

Modern glass for a rod sounds good and the Maxcatch Ultraglass and the Aventic especially so. I don't need to decide until maybe February, and meanwhile will keep an eye on Ebay for a severly underpriced Butterstick, Echo ... and I will continue watching this forum.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:59 am • # 11 

If you could find a reduced price Butterstick, you would make out like a bandit. I have the 6' 2" 2 weight and love it. It will cast anything from a 2DT up to a 5WF with ease. I caught 15 bass one morning while fishing with my grandsons, each about 12-14 inches. Had no difficulty pulling them in with this rod.

Larry

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:57 pm • # 12 

I'd like to summarize what I think I found re lines (and rods) -

The 12 yo grandson proved an adept learner. In a few days of backyard casting and pond fishing he could lay out fishing casts and tell me what he preferred. Regarding lines, he thought the Wulff Triangle Taper 4wt and the Scientific Anglers Short Belly Taper 3wt were equally easy to use with either rod. Regarding rods, he thought the Aventik 7'8" fiberglass 4wt and the TFO 8' Professional II 2wt were equally easy to use with either line.

After a few days at Phoenix's Surprise Community Pond he found we were'nt catching bluegill or trout with flies, but he could catch bedding bass with his old spinning rod and rubber worms. He (temporarily?) lost interest in fly fishing. OK. Maybe next year or later on other waters for other fish - or not - whatever floats his boat.

But I persisted in using both lines with both rods and came to about his conclusion. I would add that I think I would prefer the Triangle Taper for small flies on streams, and the Short Belly Taper for fishing bluegill bugs/poppers on ponds. Both rods, despite different line wt ratings, could cast both lines equally well with only minor casting adjustments.

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply