It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:18 am • # 1 

Got a hanker'n for a new rod, to be honest I dont NEED it at all but would very much like to upgrade, only light wt rod I have is Eagle Claw 3wt and want something better, in no big hurry to buy but need a bit of enlightening before buying, try to stay south of $200, will be used as a blue gill/trout rod, small streams/creeks and farm ponds.

Rods and Prices.
St Croix Imperial 3wt, 7ft long, $170

TFO Professional series, 3wt, & 7 1/2 ft , $160
TFO Pro special, 2wt, 7 1/2 ft, $160

Reddington Path, 3wt, 7 1/2 ft, $100
Reddington Vice 3wt 7 1/2 ft, $200

Okuma Crission 3-4wt, 7 1/2 ft, $60

All these were found at Sportsmans warehouse, do have both Cabelas and BPS not to far away, or if theres a better choice in the price point feel free to speak up, Im just gathering food for thought and have never owned anything other than cheapo equipment and really dont have a clue other than knowing teh brand names, figured you gents would tell me straight, let'r rip tater chip. (have been eyeball'n the classifieds as well)

Thanx guys.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:33 am • # 2 

Wow lots of good choices in your range. Of the ones mentioned, TFO, Redington and St Croix would top my list. They are all good rods. I would add in the Cabela's CGR glass rods to the mix, or if you can still find one and don't mind a one piece, the Cabela's Prime 6' 3 weight is a real gem of a rod perfectly suited to bluegills and small trout streams

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:21 pm • # 3 

l love my Imperial 4wt, so much that it's the only rod I haven't replaced with one I've built myself.

I'm with mmckenzie on the cabela's rods. Right now the CGRs are on sale for 60 bucks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:37 pm • # 4 

Jed ...since you are in no rush it might be a good idea to line them up with the line and reel you intend to use and cast them all if you can. Cast the range you intend to fish most often.

The right rod is the one that feels best to you. Try before you buy.

Some people like oysters and some people like steak.

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:13 pm • # 5 

Gonna try my best to get one of the CGR rods, been wanting one for a couple years now, as far as what's listed and the prices, is there something that's probably just as good for less ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:49 am • # 6 

The only rod that I have fished that you have listed I’d the TFO Pro both the 2 and the 3wt. I liked them both a lot, but gravitated to the Finesse series 1 and 2wts. I love the 2wt uplined with a 3wt line. Fished it many years, Montana, Texas, Colorado, Oregon, Virginia, Iraq, Honduras, and South Korea.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:41 pm • # 7 

Another one for you to consider: Echo Carbon XL 2 wt., 7'3" -- this is my go-to rod now for most everything. Lovely with small dries, but can also huck a #8 or even #6 streamer or ... mouse. It's just a lot of fun to fish, and a pretty rod for $150. I like it best with my Orvis Battenkill I reel or a Vosseler RC-1 and a ($19) Maxcatch WF3F, though it does well with a WF2F too.

The original Echo Carbon rods were very well reviewed -- did pretty terrifically in the Ohio shootout, I think -- I don't know what changes were made, other than this one is $20 cheaper. Wait ... here's Tim Rajeff describing the evolution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjedfUEMet4

Fished with a friend the other day who typically throws 8 wt on the coast and 5 wt in freshwater, and after using the Carbon XL 2 wt all afternoon he ordered one the same evening. He said it was "like a drug." LOL.

Lifetime warranty.

If you want to really save money, the Maxcatch V-Light 2 wt -- http://www.maxcatchfishing.com/Ultra_li ... _tube.html is actually a pretty great little graphite rod. The 3 wt in the same model is a problem child with week tip sections. Some of the other rods Maxcatch makes are not to my taste at all, but this one is good. I had a couple of semi-custom rods made on the same blank, and everyone who has used them likes them.

All that said, I also have one the TFO 2 wt mentioned above, the CGRs 2, 3, (both great, but you really gotta slow down!) 5/6 (no idea, never fished it) and the Prime 4 (don't love it yet) and 8 (haven't fished it yet).

Just my $.02, probably worth less ....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:02 pm • # 8 

Since it seems you're looking at 3wts, I'd throw the Redington CT in the mix. I think the 3wt 7.5' is the best of that series. I'm also a fan of the Carbon, Finesse, and Imperial. I'd prefer the Finesse or CT for what you're talking about. They also offer it it a 7'9" 3wt. It's not to be compared to other TFO rods, which I feel (sorry to guys that own them) to be stiff and lacking any feel. The Finesse is awesome though.

So, yeah, I really love my Finesse 1wt but it's pretty light for a lot of things. But it's what I use for small mountain creeks and such. I usually take it and my 8' 4wt Three Forks to the pond. I'd build the Finesse 3wt but I've got a couple glass blanks in that range that I think might become my favorite.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:34 pm • # 9 

I'll second Mac's suggestion of the Prime. Haven't checked on line lately but seen some in the Fort Worth Cabela's store this weekend; if you have a Cabela's near you they might still have some too. I sure like my #4 7' Prime. If you looking at a CGR and want to stay UL I suggest the 2wt which works well with 2 or 3 wt line.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:45 pm • # 10 

May I suggest an alternative? Look in the various fly fishing forums for a used rod that's higher end than the ones mentioned above, all excellent rods though they may be. Properly cared for and used, a fly rod really doesn't wear out. I've seen nice Sages, and even a Winston or two in the upper end of the price range you're looking for. I picked up a Winston GVX 3 weight 7'6" that's just about the nicest rod I've ever cast, for $200. With a Triangle Taper line, I can roll cast that thing a country mile.

For me, one of the advantages to a nicer rod is that they tend to have some stability to them, in the sense that the direction you cast is the direction the fly will go. That seems silly on the face of it, but my casts are far more accurate on that Winston, or some of my other, more expensive rods, than other, perfectly fine rods as have been listed above. I had a Redington Classic Trout in the same size as my GVX, and 30 feet out, I could land my fly inside of a hula hoop. The GVX? I can land it in a paper plate, same distance out. Depending on what you fish for, that accuracy might not be important, but for the smallish brushy creeks I use my 3 weight on, it saves me a dozen flies an outing by landing in the water at the edge of the bank rather than the bush along the streamside.

Your mileage may vary.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:10 pm • # 11 

All of the above comments are spot on ........my .02 cents... the 1 weight TFO Finesse is an awesome rod for bluegill,crappie,trout. I've even landed some large black bass on that rascal. It will toss a size 12 black boudreaux fly accurately to 25-30 feet. The rod is right at the top end of your budget ...around $200. I also have a 5 wt finesse....the big brother to the 1 wt...just as sweet. Good luck and keep us posted .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:27 am • # 12 

I'm with weiliwen on this issue. I rarely purchase a new rod unless it is pretty low cost, whether an inexpensive rod or one on clearance. Most of my really good rods I purchased used. Not that you could tell by looking. If you can find a rod that has seen very limited use, and there are quite a few available, you can sometimes save quite a bit of money. I have 2 or 3 rods that would go $500 new, but I was able to pick up for $200 to $300, and there was hardly even any soiling of the cork grips. It can take a little looking, but can be very much worth the time.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:57 am • # 13 

Accuracy is something that hadn't crossed my mind, but recently have been watching reviews of several rods on youtube and a gent was demonstrating a Redington vice against a much pricier rod, in which the vice done really well.

I had assumed one was as good as the next when it comes to being accurate, never stop learning.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:16 am • # 14 

I have TFO Finesse and Echo Carbon rods,,,, slight up tick in price however, lighter swing weight and a pleasure to cast.

Regards,
FK

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply