It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Sage 279 ll
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am • # 1 

Hi all

I have the chance of acquiring one of these rods even though I originally wanted the 379. Most of my fishing is close range stuff fishing the duo method, would this rod handle nymphs or am I better off holding out for a 379.
Also I've noticed the reel seat is ring you pull down over the reel foot as opposed to the more usual screw up affair locking the reel under the cork, does this mean it's an early model or is something amiss.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris.

Post subject: Re: Sage 279 ll
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:25 pm • # 2 

If the price is right, I would jump all over that 279LL.

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:34 am • # 3 

I'm unfamiliar with the rod. But for the slip ring for the reel, no worries. Many lighter rods have this, and it's done also on bamboo. It is old fashioned per say, but it's still used today on many modern rods. They are reliable, so don't let that worry you at all. I know it looks cheap and all, but I have a few rods with the slip ring, and I have had absolutely no complaints.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:58 am • # 4 

You'll be holding off a long while for a 379 - they're going for over a grand over on eBay. the 279 should be a sweet rod. i've got a 4711 and it is my favorite rod of all time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:36 am • # 5 

Hi gents
Sorry for the late reply, I would actually prefer the VPS light as I prefer the colour and the cheaper price is a bonus. But they are like rocking horse ###. Strange you should mention the 4711 as I've just started thinking that could be a possibility considering 90% of my small stream fishing is duo work, with large dancing caddis and size 16 2mm tungsten nymph.

Thanks for the replies so far,

Chris.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:57 pm • # 6 

The LL series was made in two generations of graphite, GII and GIII. if i recall correctly the 279 with cap seat is the earlier GII and will be a bit softer than the GIII version. GIII 3 wt would handle nymphs better than the GII 279 for sure. I have a 389 GIII and it does okay with smaller nymphs, but these are really great dry fly rods.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply