It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: CGR Line Recommendation
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:59 am • # 1 

What line should I get for a 3wt CGR? I don't currently own any 3wt lines, and I don't want to spend much more than $60 (at the moment) experimenting with lines.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:54 pm • # 2 

Cabela's house brand lines are decent cheap lines. You can get their entry level line, with backing for about $20 usually.

A have a few of their Prestige Plus lines and like them. Another good option is the Sage Freshwater - I have owned a few of these and find they work very well. I have a Freshwater #8 one of of my heavy CGRS and it casts as well as the Rio Gold I use on the other.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:09 pm • # 3 

Mine does just fine with either the $9 or $19 Maxcatch WF3F or wf4f. For the price you can afford to experiment.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:54 pm • # 4 

I use the prestige plus 3 wt, WF on my CGR 3wt and like it. Cabela's put's their lines on sale through out the year.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:11 pm • # 5 

Mine does just fine with either the $9 or $19 Maxcatch WF3F or wf4f. For the price you can afford to experiment.

Aaron,
Like you I have had the most use from Scientific Anglers lines. Rios haven't worked quite as well, seem thicker, and are usually heavier than posted line weight. I like the Cortland Peach OK. I really like the Barrio Small Stream lines for castability. Hook & Hackle has some pretty good lines. The Cabela's lines are usually pretty good. For my purposes though, the SA lines have held up better and have a slicker finish. Have you found the Maxcatch lines to hold up well? As I mentioned I like the Barrio lines, but if I spend a few hours fishing, I usually have to clean and retreat the line to restore slickness, whereas with SA lines, you could just basically pull it through a handkerchief to restore much of the slickness, and don't even have to do that very often. Are the Maxcatch lines slick enough that they don't start feeling gritty after fishing for more than an hour or so? I hope you can make sense of that longwinded paragraph.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:10 pm • # 6 

Larry, the Maxcatch lines are neither as long lasting nor as slick. I look forward to trying the Barrios sometime!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:43 am • # 7 

I think I have 3 of the Barrio lines, two of them are the Small Stream series. You are welcome to try them out in May.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:15 am • # 8 

While the most recent sale was ongoing, I picked up the CGR 5'9" 3 weight. When it arrived, I was amazed at the softness of the action. Everything I had heard was that the rod worked well with either a 3 or 4 weight line. My thinking was it would probably handle a 2 weight. I finally tried it out today at a friend's house. It was pretty chilly outside and I didn't have much time, so I strung it up with a Cabela's Prestige DT2. It cast the DT2 very well, both in close and out to 35-40 feet or more. I still haven't tried it with 3 or 4 weight lines, but I did determine it is a sweet casting 2 weight. My friend Kurt has been using his with WF3. He said my rod felt like a slower action than his. Well, after all, one can never have too many 2 weight rods.

Larry

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply