It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: three forks - adios
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:51 am • # 1 

i saw that Cabelas has ditched the Three Forks rod series for a new series that features a 763 in a moderate action blank. New color- grey. Same price.

Post subject: Re: three forks - adios
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:02 pm • # 2 

I realize I may be going against the current here, but I will not miss the Three Forks. I purchased one in 3 weight back in the mid-90's and it became my favorite rod. I nearly wore that thing out. Over the last 10 years or so I transitioned over to glass rods, but there were still some graphite rods I held in high esteem. So when a good friend of mine asked me for advice on an inexpensive rod he could get for his grandsons, I recommended the Three Forks 7'6" 3 weight. Back when I purchased mine, the Three Forks was available only in 3, 5, and 8 weight. A few years later Cabela's added several rods to the lineup. They said the new rods had a faster action, but that the long time favorites, the 3 and 5 weight had been left with a moderate action. When Charlie's rods came in we had to try them out. So much for Cabela's advertising. The rods were much stiffer than the old ones, and we felt they needed a 5 weight line to properly load the rod. I usually used a 3WF or 4WF with my old rod. Hopefully, the new rods coming out will really have a moderate action.

Larry

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply