It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Cabela BIGHORN 3wt
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:22 pm • # 1 

Cabela's replacement for the 3 forks was in store this week. It is a graphite with moderate action. It felt a lot softer than the 3 forks. I was
disappointed that the BigHorn 3 wt is a 4 piece rather than a 3 piece like the 3 forks.

Post subject: Re: Cabela BIGHORN 3wt
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:39 pm • # 2 

Over 20 years ago a friend turned me on to the Three Forks 3 weight. I purchased one and just about wore it out. Although I had some much more expensive rods, it was one of my favorites until I transitioned into glass rods about 10 years ago. Cabela's expanded their line-up of the Three Forks rods. In their catalogs they said the new rods were faster action, but they retained the moderate action for the 3 and 5 weights. About 4 years ago a friend was wanting to get a couple of 3 weights for his grandkids. I recommended the Three Forks. We were both sorely disappointed when they came in. The action was much faster than my old rod, and we felt the rod didn't really load properly until we had a 5 weight line on. Perhaps the new Big Horn rods will be more like the old Three Forks. And yeah, I would prefer the three piece rod also.

Larry

Post subject: Re: Cabela BIGHORN 3wt
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:15 am • # 3 

I like the last years 3 forks 3 weight--and I fish bamboo a lot.
I've actually fished it with 7 wgt down to 4 wgt.
It works great with 6 5 and 4. Never tried 3 wt line on it.
It shoots 4 weight really far and effortlessly. Using the 5 wgt 3 forks is like swinging a sledgehammer by comparison.

Note that I fish bamboo. I can't complain about the speed of the 3 wt 3 forks. IT is faster though--with 6 wt line on, it feels more bambooy.

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply