It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:04 am • # 1 

hi all
I have a Sage Zxl 386-4 and a Sage Txl-f 3710-4.
Havnt used these in a while and my old lines are falling apart.
Time to get some new lines.Pls advise on recommended lines for these rods

thanks in advance

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:38 am • # 2 

Hey,

I’ve got the Sage zxl in a 4wt. I use cortlabd double taper floating in it. Never had any issues a guide I know believes Cartland are one of the best ‘fishing’ lines where a lot are built for casting these days. I do have a Redington CT in a 3wt and I was recommended to try Airflo for us. I’ve the trout elite double taper obit and find it to have a great performance. Nice presentation and fine to cast flies through the eyes. The action of the CT and the zxl aren’t a million miles away from each other so i think either would suit fine. Haven’t used many other lines so limited in what I can recommend.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:34 pm • # 3 

I have the same 3wt zxl. Rio Gold has always worked well for me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:51 pm • # 4 

+1 for Rio Gold.

I've had good luck with Orvis Superfine 3wt line, but it is on the Scott 653 and Orvis 703. It's a good WF line. I like that both lines aren't so bright.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:37 pm • # 5 

Four months after the original post - but I’ll chip in anyway - I have had Rio Trout Lt WF lines on my ZXL and TXLs in both 1wt,4wt and 5wt’s. Great match for anything but the smallest creeks. I use DT lines or Barrio small stream for that.

//Mike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:05 pm • # 6 

I have a 3 weight TFO Finesse and was using a SA Mastery WF3F on a Redington Drift click pawl reel. I could accurately toss the WF much farther than the rod could effectively mend or set a hook. Then I bought a new 7' 4 weight bamboo rod in a Garrison 201 taper. Neither of my WF4F & WF5F lines lit up my bulb with that rod so I gambled on a new Cortland 444 Peach DT3F. That line made the bamboo rod come alive and I'm very pleased with that combination. The bonus is it works great on the Finesse also. Since I fish the same type of water with both rods, I have no reason to buy another line even though I have a couple of spare vintage Shakespeare click pawl reels that would balance and work well with either rod.

I think the Cortland 444 DT3F is a very nice line.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply