It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:01 am • # 1 

I got my hands on a prototype of the new Synthesis "Blue Ridge Special." Chris told me this one is a 2/3, and the production rods will be 3/4, but he sure liked the way this one cast. Me too.

I couldn't wait for the Onion Creek trip Sunday, so shortly after the mailman came today I walked down to the North Gabe to try it out. I paired the rod with a Battenkill I and MaxCatch WF3F I had on another rod. The reel balances the new rod well, and the line is fine, but I'm P forward to trying a Scientific Anglers Heritage Presentation WF3 on it Sunday.

Good short, good out to at least (I say at least because I wasn't trying for distance) 45 or 50 ft. (I was easily into the running line) on lightly weighted (beadchain eyes) and unweighted flies to #8.

I'll say more about the action after Sunday, but it's a joy to cast and feels wonderful in hand.

I tricked one little bluegill and the bass below. The bass put a nice bend in the rod (also pictured) and was a ton of fun.

My initial impressions: a very fine casting, and fine-looking, rod. I'm so happy to have it!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:09 pm • # 2 

Aaron, you better keep that one away from me when you get to Mason; I just might mug you for it. Chris does really nice work.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:41 pm • # 3 

I am going to pick up the 68 Blue Ridge Special this spring. I am going to get the dual slip ring version with the micarta butt. Should be a fine brookie rod here in SW PA.

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply