It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:05 pm • # 1 

Good morning folks,
I’ve almost accidentally just acquired a mint Orvis graphite Flea with it’s tube and sock dated 1180. I fish a variety of English chalk rivers and whilst some are quite narrow and streamy I don’t usually fish this light. My Limestone or Far and Fine seem to cover most situations but I’m intrigued to give the little Flea a go.
Could someone please suggest the best line to use? Also, will it handle bigger fish, say in the 16 inch sort of bracket, as these crop up from time to time even on the smaller streams? It doesn’t seem too powerful in the butt compared to what I’m used to but from what I’ve read so far it may indeed be quite capable of playing biggish trout? What do you all think? Could this be the start of a different style of fly fishing for the old dog??
Robin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:34 pm • # 2 

PS that’s me, the old dog, not the rod!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:17 am • # 3 

I have been unable to find much information regarding the graphite Flea so far. I know the bamboo Flea was a 6' 6" 4 weight; what is the length and line weight for the graphite edition? I seem to recall it was also a 4 weight, but I could be wrong. If it is a 4 weight, there should be no difficulty in landing a 16" trout.

Larry

P.S. - After writing the above, I finally found some pictures. The measurements are the same for the graphite rod: 6.5 ft 4 weight. I wish I could have "accidents" like that. About 20 years ago I landed a 22" rainbow trout on a 4 weight, and it was a relatively stiff fast action graphite rod. I worried the whole time that the tippet was going to snap. The softer action of the Flea should be quite helpful in protecting the tippet.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:18 am • # 4 

Many thanks Larry, that’s very helpful.
Perhaps another member out there owns a graphite Flea and could share some knowledge of this rod with us..?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:29 pm • # 5 

I failed to mention anything about lines. A rod of that vintage was made before the rod designers started making faster and stiffer actions, so the recommended line weight is pretty accurate. I'm sure that Snowbee, Hardy, or Airflo all make suitable lines for that rod, but I have been using some Barrio lines from Scotland that I have found excellent for small stream use. I would recommend the Barrio Small Stream line. They also tend to be less expensive than most of the lines I have used.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:42 am • # 6 

I owned both the bamboo and graphite Orvis flea, the graphite was quite a bit faster than the bamboo. Orvis bamboo (mine was purchased in 1975) was very slow and with the typical WF4F Orvis line would cast with a few feet of line out. The graphite Flea was better suited to a 4 weight but keep in mind Orvis graphite was slow in comparison to today's. I caught a nice 18" brown with the graphite on a small stream in NC, it was a nice rod. Wish I had kept it (famous last words).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:17 am • # 7 

Hi, I own one Flea, It is indeed 6'6" for a #4 line. I use an Airflo nymph taper in #4 for nymphing and a Cortland sylk in #5 as it has a long front taper and I only use it up close and personal, so a few yards of line out at the most. The bit of extra weight really helps the roll casts.
In my view these graphite rods are THE best for roll casting due to the action. This rod is no exception. In case you want more information from my catalogs or share your experiences with your rod, please visit my facebook page Vintage Graphite Fly Rods

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply