It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Slip rings
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:12 am • # 1 

So this weekend I bought an Orvis Battenkill I for my 3wt CGR. When I tried putting the reel on the rod, the slip rings wouldn't come more than a few millimeters over the foot of the reel, even when I applied a good bit of force. Should I be worried about my reel falling off? If so, how can I make it fit better?

Post subject: Re: Slip rings
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:16 pm • # 2 

java wrote:
So this weekend I bought an Orvis Battenkill I for my 3wt CGR. When I tried putting the reel on the rod, the slip rings wouldn't come more than a few millimeters over the foot of the reel, even when I applied a good bit of force. Should I be worried about my reel falling off? If so, how can I make it fit better?

That has been a gripe about the CGR's since they initially hit the market 6 years ago. Without having to rebuild the reel seat, there are two ways to make the reel fit. You could lightly sand the flat surface of the reel seat where the reel sits (which might make other reels fit too loosely), or you can just slip the rings out of the way and slip a couple of rubber O rings from an automotive supply store over the reel foot when you are using the Battenkill. The O rings might look funny, but works fine.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:30 pm • # 3 

I've had even well fitting reels fall off of my CGRs. I have put adhesive tape over my rings at times.

The fit should get better with time as the reel foot settles into the cork.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:43 am • # 4 

FWIW I cinched a strand of 30# braid between the rings on mine. As Jim Red says, the reel foot has settled into the cork over time, and I need to tighten the strand up a bit. But it works. It's always so embarrassing to have your reel fall off in the middle of an epic battle with a fish........................

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:34 am • # 5 

Thanks for the tips! This is my first time using a rod with slip rings so I don't know what's normal and what isn't.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:57 am • # 6 

java wrote:
... so I don't know what's normal and what isn't.
The CGRs have this problem a lot more than some others.
It's not 'normal'. Most slip rings work better than the CGR does.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:40 pm • # 7 

I have a few rods with slip rings. They are very traditional, and I have never had an issue with my reel falling off. I have had reel feet where some fit nice, and others don't depending on the reel.

Do not sand the reel seat. As mentioned, over time it will wear in the the cork.

What you can do is have a designated reel for the rod, and if the reel feet are too large, file the thickness of the feet on the reel down till the rings fit the way you want.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply