It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Carbon Copy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:04 pm • # 1 

Hello, first post here. Lurked in the past and ended up with a Scott f2 653 from posts here and fiberglassflyrodders. Its a sweet rod I have paired with a Colorado LT. I use it for briminators and sz12 poppers on the panfish and dink bass in the local creeks of N. TX. I almost always have this rod in the jeep, just a blast.

I've amassed a healthy Orvis credit and can't seem to pull the trigger on replacing my H2s with H3s yet. I got to thinking of the superfine series and if the carbon series would be different enough to warrant such a similar setup. I've got my eye on the 663 with a CFO since they only have the smallest size left.

I'm literally a thousand miles away from a flyshop for the next year so no playing with it beforehand. Has anyone handled the two of these rods, or at least the Orvis? There is not a whole lot of info on this rod from what I can find, other than the reviews on Orvis' site. My thoughts are it'll be a little faster being carbon, but will it be as versatile?

Post subject: Re: Carbon Copy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:27 pm • # 2 

Welcome JR and send MBarkerTX a message ... he (and I'm sure there are others here) can give you an honest accounting of that rod.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:47 pm • # 3 

JR, the Orvis Superfine is a very nice full flexing rod. I had a 7’6” 4 pc 1wt. It was a blast for any fish in the 4-18” range. The only down side is with the full flex slow action of the rod you will need to slow your casting stroke way down. I was able to do it, but that was the reason I got rid of it and went with a TFO 1wt Finesse. I had the Orvis lined with Orvis Superfine WF1F line, designed specifically for that series of rods. F you are able to slow your stroke down and be comfortable doing it, IMHO you can’t go wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:42 pm • # 4 

Since you are already accustomed to fishing glass, you should have no problem at all in adjusting your casting stroke to a Superfine carbon. You will probably have to speed up slightly.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:28 am • # 5 

Thank you for the responses. The full flex shouldn't be an issue, only when I switch from fishing tip-flex 5wt do I have to pay attention before I run into issues.

Just received an Orvis catalog in the mail and they mention a new 2wt superfine glass. Visited an Orvis in Chicago, they didn't have any details to give. May have to see what the spec on that is, might be getting two rods.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply