It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:36 am • # 1 

With all of us having multiple reels and spools, how does everyone keep track / remember what they have on each one? Dusting off the gear for another season and I cannot remember what is what.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:32 am • # 2 

I sometimes stick the little sticker that comes with many fly lines on the inside surface of the spool (the side inside the reel frame), but just to be safe, I mark each fly line with a series of black marker pen rings near the leader end. One narrow ring connotes one 'weight' value; a wider ring (say, 1/2" wide) connotes 5 weight values. So, an 8wt has one wide ring and three narrow rings.

Latter approach doesn't help with identifying sinking, sinking rate, floating, or taper for that matter.
brent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:55 pm • # 3 

Stick a small white piece of paper with the weight / line type on the reel foot on the inside curve that fits against the rod reel seat. The tab is out of sight but protected. On doctored lines I have with black marker written the weight of the head.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:09 pm • # 4 

I started having the same problem a few years ago. I now keep a spreadsheet with each spoolsnumbered and the line that's on it at the time, then I number each actual spool with a sticker. I found some plastic-y stickers but haven't been using them long enough to test them out for durability, but anything made of paper didn't work for me. I like to switch lines around sometimes so the stickers that come with the lines don't work and I have multiple spools for reels, so putting on the reel doesn't work. I just update the spreadsheet when I move a line.

I usually remember while I'm fishing which ones I have but after a while I'd have to refer to the spreadsheet. Then I have to have that file either on my phone or printed out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:09 pm • # 5 

I have tried various ways of marking my reels with line weight, but none have been really practical. Paper stickers tend to gradually peel away or fade out. I don't really like to mark on my reel with a permanent marker. I have thought to mark the lines as outlined by wheezeburnt , and I have been thinking of this for over 20 years, but somehow all this thinking has never transmuted into action. I have probably about 30 reels, so at least I have put all the 2 to 4 weight reels in one case, 5-6 weight in another case, and 7 weight and up in another. At least that way, even if I pick up the wrong reel, I won't be too far off.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:16 pm • # 6 

I put a piece of adhesive tape on the foot and sometimes a second piece someplace else on the reel. If the line is not modified I put the line weight, ie 3 wt, and the weight of the line in grains. If the line is modified, I try to describe in a few strokes of the pin the modification and also add the weight of the line in grains.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:59 pm • # 7 

Wrote mine on a little piece of paper small enough to fit into and be fully covered by see thru sticky tape. I wrote with black gel pen that does not smudge even when wet, (recommended for writing out checks). This I place on the inside curve of the reel foot that fits into the reel rod seat, thus is protected from being rubbed off. With a fine pen you can note line weight in grains length etc.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply